1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[pics] Passenger side rear bumper gap. Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DSBauer, Aug 24, 2014.

1. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi.

Please help me. This thing drives me nuts.

I own 2014 Prius Four Sea Glass Pearl. I purchased mine in January. I have been through kinda busy days, so I could not get any chance to inspect my car carefully.

Unfortunately, I recently notice that there is a very slight gap (but noticeable) between the passenger side rear bumper and the quarter panel.

Plus, there is also another gap between passenger side tail light and the quarter panel.

UNLIKE DRIVER SIDE! Everything looks perfectly assembled on the DRIVER SIDE.

Mine has never been even in any minor accident. I have never sit on my bumper either.

After I noticed it , it drives me crazy. I already took mine to a dealership, and the technician told me that it is a very ordinary flaw that Toyota is aware of.

Is it TRUE??? IS IT REALLY NORMAL ISSUE???

Attached Files:

#1 DSBauer, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    we did get in a fender bender in the front and when I got the new bumper installed also isn't flush on that side, and at the collision center said that its just put on with brackets and mounted so there is no room for play and now I notice it on the rear of the car as well.is the car falling apart ??. Now I notice it more and it bugs the hell out of me as well.

3. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So you meant that you had to get your rear bumper replaced? Or it was happened on your
    Rear bumper all of sudden? Mine was not involved in any accident. ;(

#3 DSBauer, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Accident, front bumper replaced, new bumper, slight gap, not flush on driver side but passenger side everything good. Then looked at the rear bumper and RR is pulling away..just wierd

5. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll take pics and show soon

6. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    matt b.

I have a news. I brought mine to a Toyota technician who is my best friend. And he answered like below...

1) a gap between the tail lights/head lamps and the body panel => Toyota FR-S had a issue with waterlogging in the lights because of poor sealers. So Toyota changed all tail lights & head lamps with much more sealer for their all models. After that this issue started being reported. But there is no solution for this.

2) a gap between the rear bumper and the body panel => Toyota HQ is already aware of this. It is caused by it's unconventional material. Especially during summer, it could be worse, if you park in the sun light.
    HOWEVER, it depends on luck on your side... it means mine was out of luck.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that picture is shocking!:eek: mine doesn't look anything like that. i think they are giving you the runaround. have you checked other cars on the lot?

WE0H likes this.
  8. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I have. Because he recommended me to do it. I found 6 out of 10 have this issue. In the lot in the sun light.

9. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Saggy butt syndrome. :) Likely that the mounting fasteners are loose or missing. Should be covered by the warranty.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't understand why it can't be repaired, it's almost like they don't want the bother. but toyota should be paying for it, the dealers usually love that kine of work.

11. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My friend, he told me that he had a customer who wanted to get his bumper replaced for the same reason. Unfortunately, there was no dramatic improvement...

I never think he lied to me. He told me that he had so many customers who complaint about this everyday, he kinda exaggerated though.

Of course, if I had asked him to replace my bumper for the reason, he could have done it for me. Furthermore, I don't care the cost, but I didn't want it because I don't want my car to be reassembled for it. It is a Brand New Car!!!

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't blame you. if you can't trust your friends, who can you trust? it's just not right that it can't be fixed.

13. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I do agree with you.

14. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BTW, FYI, I found that there was another owner who has the symptom as mine in PHOTOS. His user name is bono with Prius Plug-in. You can find his post with three pictures of his PPI on the latest page.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now i'm afraid to look at mine, i might not be able to sleep.:mad:

16. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, As I said earlier, I found the exactly same symptom on BRAND NEW PRIUS in the dealership LOT. 6 out of 10.

You can be the one of 4 LUCKIES!!! lol

17. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same thing going on with mine. I thought I backed into or someone backed into me but that's not the case.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might try a good body shoppe. my father found a craftsman who fixed the trunk on his chrysler hardtop convertible, that chrysler said could not be changed. he then convinced chrysler through the insurance company, to pay for it. my father didn't have to do anything.

19. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trust me. You didn't do anything wrong. lol Both of us were just out of luck. It is the flaw that Toyota is already aware of.

20. michinnom

michinnom Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do not take it to a body shop. This is normal. It's a quality issue that Toyota is not going to fix. As Spindifferent stated, it is the "saggy butt syndrome." Nothing you can do. Some rear ends are saggier than others Lmao.

WE0H likes this.