1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[pics] Passenger side rear bumper gap. Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DSBauer, Aug 24, 2014.

1. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah. Apparently, Toyota uses unconventional material for Prius to maximize fuel economy.

2. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And Even the material for the hood and tail gate is Aluminum alloys.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Some things are just better off left alone whether we like it or not. I just bought a new Avalon and I scraped the very bottom of the right side of the front bumper against the curb. Two body shops told me to touch it up and not repair it. The front bumper and fog lights would have to be taken off and the scraped spot made smooth and the front bumper painted. It is hardly noticeable. My nature is to have it fixed but some things are better left alone so reluctantly, I'll leave it alone. You always have to get that first ding on a new car and the first hurts.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bumpers used to protect the car from.....: bumps. Now they're made outa painted black plastic, can't even keep themselves from falling off. ;(

The seams on ours are opening up slightly. I give it a bit of a bash upwards, and look at it sternly.

bisco likes this.
  6. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not sure if I'm missing something here, but looking at the photo in the first post I really don't see where this terrible gap is. It appears to look similar to a lot of work on newer cars. I looked at mine (a 2014 Sea Glass Pearl) and while it looked like the photo I didn't think there was anything wrong with it. Does anyone have a pic of what it should look like?

7. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know Oscar. That is the reason why majority of technicians answered just like you. it is very slight difference. But I can say it is noticeable.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have to have ocd like us to worry about it.:cool:

9. DSBauer

DSBauer Guest

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh yeah. I have lived very very bad OCD for entire my life. Lol Some mechanics seemed to think that I was crazy and paranoid. They kept saying that they could not find what I described.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, i've gone through any number of contractors because of it.(n)

11. Oskar

Oskar Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

I can appreciate and relate, but still, does anyone here have a photo of what it's suppose to look like and compare it to the photo in the first post of this thread. And really, we're not talking about a handmade Bugatti Veyron here. It's a Prius! Even Consumer Reports has consistently pointed out flaws it its fit and finish. If I have one that supposedly has this gap, well, I can live with it. No big deal. But if that audio system dies, then that's another story!

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  13. westcoasthd

westcoasthd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My son bought a 2010 Prius recently and went through issues with the side of the rear bumper cover coming loose. The dealer did work on it and replace the cover because one of the tabs was damaged. Unfortunately they did not replace the side retaining clips and he still had issues. I decided to pull off the cover, and trouble shoot it a little more myself. I did discover that Toyota released new newer version of the sider retainer for the 2010 and up, (part #52575-47021 right, and #52576-47021 left) but very little changed in the design.

The actual problem is a two foot span in the middle of the bumper has no support at all, it's a poor design. The plastic clips by the tail lights and on each side don't do a good job of supporting any type of vertical load. If you happen to sit near the rear cargo area or put weight / down ward force near the top center of the cover you will either damage the tabs in the cover or the clips themselves.

I ended up replacing the sider retainers with the new parts and also made a small support for the center area right behind the latch for the hatch itself. There are two exposed studs that I used to mount an AL bracket (2X2X8.5”) for additional support to avoid future damage of the clips and having the gap come back. I took a couple of photos if anyone has any questions let me know. I just did this mod, so I don't know longer term how it will work out, but now if you press done on the top middle of the cover it does not move. So hopefully this will take care of any small loads from him simply sitting in the rear cargo area with his legs on the cover.

Attached Files:

14. golfinbud

golfinbud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great post!
    I have to replace the passenger side retainer on mine & I think I'll add the center bracket as well like you did. You mentioned two exposed studs, are these studs readily exposed soon as one takes out the bumper cover & was that a 1/8" thickness AL bracket that you've used. Thanks.

15. Snow

Snow Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same thing on mine as well. Doesn't really bother me, but I had thought that something was wrong at first. Nice to see that it isn't only me.

16. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't tell what's going on in the picture either. Just went out to look at my car. Both sides look the same. Both sides look like the picture. Maybe I'm sagging on both sides? Beats me but the fit is acceptable to me.

17. Lino

Lino Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine is just as bad, I purchased the part that holds that section of the bumper, assuming mine was broken, but it was not, the material of the shell is so flemsy at the mounting points, that it just does not hold.
    This is what toyota calls quality, but it's actually far from it.
    Your best bet might be super glue on the mounting points, I have not tried it yet.
    Mine is on the drivers side.

18. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is doing the same. As someone mentioned earlier, it seems to get worse when it is warm. Noticed it again today after being out running errands in the sun. 38k miles now though, so tough for me I guess.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too, i try to look the other way.:)

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mounting bumpers to protect their bumpers? I sure like that. Just the faintest little bump on these so called "bumpers" and there goes another $1,000 at least, right down the drain.