1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[pics] Passenger side rear bumper gap. Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DSBauer, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TCW1184

TCW1184 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine 13 has the same thing going on. It really annoyed me at first but I noticed that every other Prius in town I've seen is the same way or worse. I wish it was a tighter line but I'm over it

iPad ?

2. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On some Prius, the rear receiver for the smart key (if you have the 3-door system) is mounted on those studs.

3. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My rear bumper fits terribly after a body shop replaced it. Wasn't like this before, even after I installed several sets of taillights. I originally thought aftermarket bumper cover, but it appears to be OEM.

Photo Sep 08, 2 28 23 PM.jpg Photo Sep 08, 2 28 27 PM.jpg Photo Sep 08, 2 28 36 PM.jpg

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Installed incorrectly. There are clips which hold the bumper on. You can even see in your photo that they're detached.

5. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The third photo, you can see the bumper cover (flange?) warped enough for the tabs not to engage the bracket on the quarter panel. Both sides are like this.

6. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Take it back to the body shop and ask them to refit the bumper cover. It appears they didn't do a very good job when assembling it; you can see in the third picture where the clips aren't properly attached.

7. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm waiting on them to call me (I've already showed it to them). I had no problem taking off and reinstalling the sides of my original bumper cover when I did the taillights, so I know how easy it is to clip the clips in. These ones just don't even come close to engaging.

8. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Was the repair done as a result of an accident? It is quite possible there is more damage than was first apparent. If so, you might need to get your insurance company involved in getting your car properly repaired.

9. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It was from backing into a signpost which left a vertical line imprint in the bumper, bumper protector, and spoiler underneath. It did not appear to be very deep.

This is what my car looked like in past years, before the accident.
    Photo Nov 19, 4 35 26 PM.jpg

10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This condition is likely due the mounting bracket tabs being broken off. Care has to be taken to inspect these side mounting bracket after a hit to the bumper. Even the body shop, if they are not careful, can break these attaching pieces when removing the bumper for repair. They are extremely fragile (cheap).!I would'nt be a bit surprised if a shoddy body shop would just let them slide. On top of that, it's common for the bumper attaching loops to be torn, not allowing them to clip into the retainers.
    This video will let you better understand how the bumper is attached on the side. It's a bit long but informative.

11. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've inspected the mounting bracket tabs and compared them to a new part (superseded part number is white instead of black). They look identical so I'm guessing they aren't broken. The bumper was new so I'm trying to get my head around how the tabs deteriorated like this. It is hot here but that's not really an excuse.

iPhone ?

12. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be suspicious that non OEM parts may have been used. There are tons of them out there.

13. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took the top of the bumper out today and verified the Toyota parts stamp is there on the inside. Not sure if aftermarket has copied this. But I followed the paper trail from the body shop to the Toyota parts department. They did get it from there. It's looking like a poor quality part.

iPhone ?

14. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most body shops guarantee materials and workmanship. You may want to read the fine print.

15. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It doesn't say anything about part quality but you are correct. I'm waiting for them to call me back.

iPhone ?

16. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best of luck