1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Piercy Toyota Review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Huy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Huy

Huy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So I just bought a new 2013 Prius about 6 weeks ago and put 5,000 miles on it already. ( I work in sales so I travel a lot).

I was up for the 5,000 mile service which is really just the tire rotation and multipoint inspection, i figured what the heck, it's included. I normally do all of this myself since I am anal about my car.

I went and took the car in for the service, and it was done in an hour. I went over the report they gave me on all the things they checked. Sheet was signed saying the tire pressure was set to 33 on the rears and 35. Tread depth was 9mm on both rears, and 8mm on the fronts. I didn't bother to think much until this morning, the day AFTER I had all of this done.

I checked the car this morning, and the tire pressure was set to 36 PSI all around. I normally pump 41 in the front, and 38 in the back anyways.

Then I went and went to check the manufactuer's spec on the Goodyear FuelMax which indicates a new tire is 10/32 all around.

If you do the conversion, 10/32=7.9375mm. They clearly marked my tires as having 9mm, so this is an impossibility.

It's not about if they did it right or not. It's more about if they done it at all and the principal of it. If you written down it was 35, then it should have been set at 35. If you mark it at 33, then it should have been 33.

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    sloppy, are you sure they rotated the tires, maybe they just "sunshined" it.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Huy,

Are you sure they didn't measure the tread depth in 32nds of an inch? That's pretty standard in the US.

It's common practice for dealer "techs" to eyeball the tread depth until it gets thin enough to try and sell you new tires. I've had my tires grow more tread depth between 5k mile dealer services:D

Counting on dealer "techs" to give you an accurate tread depth measurement or set tire pressure accurately is an exercise in un-needed frustration. Count yourself lucky if they do the important things right. It is a good idea to mark at least two tires so you can tell if they actually rotated them and check the pressure and general wear condition yourself. I rarely measure tread depth, I just do a visual and a feel for unusual wear.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    waste of an hour.(n)

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've taken my car there for the 5k and 10k mile service. I didn't check the sheets they gave me because I don't really care what the dealer tells me. Anyway, I'd give them a good rating not great. Both times, I brought the car in when they opened at 7:30. Both times they called me the car was ready at around 3pm. 7 hours to do the service seems a bit excessive, although they did warn me both times it would take that long. They turned off the reverse beep free of charge. Sent me a coupon for a full detail service for being a new customer which I took advantage of at 10k. Huge clean waiting room with WiFi and free donuts and coffee. The biggest reason I would recommend them is that so far they have not tried to upsell me a single thing.

Concerning your review, tire tread depth is recorded in 32nds. I dug out my service records. My inspection sheet clearly says 9/32 all around which is plausible wear from 10/32 to me. The front and wear brake lining are listed at 10 mm front and 9 mm rear. Typo on yours? And finally tire pressure readings between what you and the dealer are taking are different. I am going to assume the dealer reads PSI using the gauge on the pump while the tires are hot (1 hour service not enough time to cool) Since you are anal, I will assume you have the proper tire pressure gauge reading on cold tires. So the principle of it is that the dealer techs will not set your tire pressure to your readings. It's not that they didn't do it.