1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pilots with Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

took a few more hours last summer, $125/hr. for a wet Piper Tomahawk... brings the grand total up to about 20 hours towards private... something i've been poking away at since about '91, long story, but first career choice was to fly professionally, then changed... Now i'm looking at getting into kite surfing/skating, particularly surfing, as there's great "aerial" potential involved... B)

2. shermon

shermon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jun 4 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]265487[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. Got to about 250 hours and was ready for Commercial ticket and decided to change to Computer Science. Finished that degree and now I am in law enforcement not doing anything with flying or computers other than writing reports.

3. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 5 2004, 08:35 AM) [snapback]9939[/snapback]</div>
    Well I'm chiggered, first to see this ancient thread dredged up and put back onto the front page where I can spot it and add my name to the banner, and then to see that daniel's early flying career matches mine - except I went on to get the license and now own two factory airplanes, and have a basement full of birch plywood and glue that someday will become my third airplane, a replica DH Tiger Moth.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 22. But I soloed on my 16th birthday & had my PVT-SEL when I was 17. Never got further than that ticket-wise - should have, but I let the fact that I'm deaf in one ear stop me from pursuing a flying career. Regret that now - I could have prevailed with a medical waiver on a commercial ticket, but I didn't have the confidence then.

Anyway I've had a blast with my airplanes - in 1991 took 12 paid weeks off from work (sabbatical plus accumulated vacation) and flew the 180 to all 48 states - 233 hours and 33,000 miles.

Just this afternoon I took the 150 out for a two hour joyride, shot landings in a stiff breeze at Rio Vista, enjoyed a BBQ at the Rio Vista's FBO, and spent a lot of time below 500 feet reconnoitering the desolate marsh landscape north of Suisun Bay, rocking the wings at fishermen in their bass boats and spotting fresh shipwrecks that the storms of early 2006 had strewn among the tall marsh grasses.

It cost $65, that joyride, at $4.70 a gallon and 14 gallons. When I started flying in 1969 avgas was 45 cents a gallon and a 150 could be rented wet for $10 an hour. Back then the same joyride in a rented airplane would have cost $20. But $20 in 1969 bought about what $65 will buy today, more or less, so while flying's expensive, its expense relative to average wage hasn't really gone up.

The same money some people put into a tricked out pickup or a speedboat would buy a decent airplane - that's why I have two airplanes and a third growing in the basement but no pickup truck or speedboat. It's all a matter of priorities.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

5. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just came across this thread and enjoyed reading all those aviation tales - great stuff.
    I started my flying training in 1953 with the military. Started on Tiger Moths, followed by Wirraways and go my wings on De Havilland Vampires. We were the second course to graduate as jet jockeys (1954).
    From there I went on to be a fighter pilot flying Vampires, Meteors and Avon Sabres. Manage to get top gun at the Air Force Fighter/Bomber shoot out in November 1956.
    Some of my most enjoyable flying was as a test pilot. Just imagine, two pilots and a hanger full of aircraft begging to be flown. One day I flew five different types - Auster (used for cloud seeding trials), Cessna 180 (army spotter) Goonie Bird (Dakota for the uninitiated), Meteor Mk u15 (used as missile targets at Woomera rocket range) and a Sabre. That month I flew nine types - add Vampire Mk 35, Wingeel, Vampire Mk31 and Meteor Mk8.
    I also have a few hours in a Lincoln heavy bomber - the Australian version of the Lancaster, the De Havilland Drover (3 Gipsy Queens with fixed props), Meteor Mk7, Mirage 3 and a Beaufighter.
    At that time, the Vampire was having problems restarting the engine after a flame out. The De Havilland factory fixed the problem but were not sure if a cold engine would restart. So muggins was volunteered to do a cold soak on all the Vampires that went through De Havilland by taking the aircraft to 40,000 feet and turning off the fuel, and hence the engine, glide for at least 5 minutes and then try to relight the engine. I now have a few hours of jet fighter glide time in my logbook without a false landing to my name.
    On two occasions shits were trumps. I was flying an Avon Sabre at 43,000 ft and was involved in a mid air collision over the jungles of Malaya. Had to use the North American ejection seat to get down. Not a pleasant ride - no oxygen, blacked out came to, opened my chute at about 500 ft above the ground and bounced into the jungle. The result was a broken back.
    On the second occasion I was on a bombing mission down Malacca way when the auxiliary shaft that drives the generator and hydraulics broke. Fortunately, the Sabre has an emergency hydraulic pump driven by battery that suppied oil to the flight controls. If the battery was fully charged it will run the pump for 20 minutes. Luckily I had dropped my bombs and the only other external stores were a couple of empty external long range fuel tanks, which I released over a rubber plantation. A clean bird is easier to fly in a tight spot. By dexterous use of the rudder (not hydraulic) and throttle I managed to nurse the bird to the old KL civil airport. Now came the fun bit. KL was not cleared for Sabre operations because there was a factory at one end of the short runway (about 5,000 ft from memory) and a railway line on a 30 ft embankment at the other. Managed to land over the factory and pull up before the rail line. Boy, it was hard work stomping on those brakes with no hydraulics. I think the electrically driven flaps put paid to the battery because I lost the radio just as I touched down.
    I operated out of Saigon in 61 (before the war started) and spent some time at the USAF Clarke Airbase in the Philippines in the same year.
    Continued flying for a few more years and then went into radar control and was involved in developing a computerised radar system. Ran a computer programming organisation for a few years before retiring from the Air Force to grow avocados.
    I found my flying career a good lead up to driving a Prius - flying on battery alone, plenty of gadgets to play with, experience in pulse and glide and a mind as sharp as a tack - now blunted by age.
    I do not think anyone can have a better career than in flying - even with its hazards.

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My take on piloting, with no actual hours under my own belt, is that
    if automobile drivers were required to pay attention to about a fifth
    of what airplane pilots have to think about -- notably, traffic
    patterns around airfields and other "routing areas" -- else lose their
    tickets within milliseconds of touching down, we'd be *so* much better
    off. The standards for terrestrial-bound travel have simply gotten
    so low, it's ridiculous...
    _H*

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 5 2006, 12:20 AM) [snapback]265831[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 6 2006, 03:39 AM) [snapback]266551[/snapback]</div>
    +1

8. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jun 6 2006, 01:58 AM) [snapback]266546[/snapback]</div>
    I might add that De havilland were also equipping the Vampire Mk 35 with ABS brakes. Having put the aircraft on the ground it was possible to pull on the hand brake and stop very quickly. My first encounter with ABS, and that was in 1958.
    Earlier in 1950, I had the pleasure of driving a 1932 Reo Roadster. I think the car was manufactured in the US. The car had a continuously variable automatic transmission, different technology that the Prius but the same result - a smooth drive.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 6 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]266551[/snapback]</div>
    the standard appears to be....breathing... and nothing else. After watching the guy eating a bowl of noodles while driving with his elbows.

10. paulaldo

paulaldo New Member

Howdy, from a new Prius Owner and Pilot ... Interesting thread!

... Woomera ... Clarke Airbase ... been there! ... former USAF C-141 IP.

Now a MD-80 FO with a major carrier, ATP w/ 8000+ hrs in 12 different aircraft.
    And, a USAF Reserve T-1 EP, training the next generation of USAF Instructors.

I just saw the Prius as a very intelligent application of technology.
    Most of my friends laugh when I tell them I bought one ... until they see it!
    Now I get invited to lunch all the time ... as long as I drive!

I think pilots are drawn to the Prius because we are all techno-geeks at heart!

Not to mention the low coefficient of drag! :D

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Welcome to Prius Chat, Paul. I am a "high-time" lapsed ASEL student. So far the best compliment complement I have received was when my CFI fell asleep during a night flight. But then I got harsh and told him he should not log that time!

In terms of pollutant emissions, aircraft are polar opposites to hybrid cars. But I love them both, somehow.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am pilot, but not current. I got my ticket when I was 18, back when we were paying $16/hr wet for a C150. I still like to fly, but don't like the cost. Once I got back near the water, sailing cut into my flying. Maybe at some point when I have more time I will get a float plane or amphibian. That would be nice around here.

Tom

13. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PPL SEL cessna 172SP with full flat panel...been flying a diamond da40 as well...nice plane...also i am ASOS certified...as ASOS are all manned at major airports, seeing how ASOS is dangerous when it runs by itself...it is in error 75% of the time, for people who dont know it...btw the house just rejected NATCAs fairfaa rebuttal...so ATC will be in a bad mood because the gestapo FAA will be imposing their last offer contract on them which will force about 5000 retirees this year and worsen the ATC shortage...

14. MarkR

MarkR New Member

PPL
    Twin
    IR
    Aeros
    Formation

Oh, and I own a TB-20 :)

Mark

15. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Haven't chosen my Prius yet but........Have a Cirrus SR-22 and a Piper J-3. (Partners in both aircraft).
    Located in Naples Florida in case any of you folks are near me. Happy to link up with you.
    Regards, Don

16. shastaprius

shastaprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naplesguy @ May 15 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]442586[/snapback]</div>
    Couldn't resist responding to this thread...

I am visiting Sarasota next week and will take you up on the offer if serious....
    I am a Naval Aviator..hold a Beechjet rating and all the stuff with that:
    SE, ME, Commercial, instrument rating.

17. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(not another screenname @ May 15 2007, 10:37 PM) [snapback]442959[/snapback]</div>
    You folks are the best. Give me a shout and we''ll see what happens.
    Don
    239-272-5300

18. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I guess technically it's "my" Prius, but my wife drives it and she's a pilot. She sold her Citabria (aerobatic plane) shortly after 9/11 (nothing to do with 9/11, btw). It was a two-seater, front to back, and she'd take me up and do loops, rolls, Cuban 8's, etc. She did one manuever one day; I don't remember what exactly it was, but the words she heard in her headset was something akin to "If you do that again, I'm going to throw up on the back of your head". Strangely enough, she never did that particular move again... :lol:

19. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have flown in Microsoft Flight Simulator, does that count? ;) . Does anyone else play Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Orion

P.S. Oh and my dad has flown in a Cessna 172, but he was not really the pilot. He was on a flight between islands in Hawaii and the pilot invited him up to try flying(it was a long time ago and I'm not sure if I got the details right).

20. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ May 15 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]442983[/snapback]</div>
    I'd have to check my log book but probably about 75 hours in a Citabria 7GCAA 150 hp no flaps. Learned to side slip in that thing but it was good training for my float endorsement. Both teach you why you have feet and what the wind, no matter how light, is doing.