1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pilots with Prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Stepclimb

Stepclimb Junior Member

I'm surprised I just now stumbled upon this thread after coming to this site since early '06.

I started flying in 1988 while in high school and had my private certificate before ever driving a car.

I now hold:

ATP Single and Multi Engine Land
    Commercial Single Engine Sea
    Private Rotorcraft Helicopter

CFI, Single and MultiEngine, Instrument Airplane

Type ratings: CL-65, E170-190, B737

I've got about 5000hrs and fly the CRJ-200 (CL-65) for a regional. I'm also a partner in a 1946 Cessna 140.

My other job is as a Navigator in the Air Force Reserve. I started out in the C-141 (active duty) and spent a few years in the C-130E and H3 including a few combat tours over Iraq/Afghanistan. My present assignment is with the WC-130J and the "Hurricane Hunters".

I can echo what the other Air Force guy said when my squadron buddies ask "you have a Prius?" and then completely change their attitude when I drive them all to lunch and they gawk at all the gadgets.

2. Wetnabber

Wetnabber New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 5 2004, 09:24 AM) [snapback]9926[/snapback]</div>
    I had a Private Pilots License back in the 1970's but haven't flown in over 20 years. I owned a 1970 Cessna 150K and kept it tied down at Midway Airport in Chicago. My wife & I pretty well covered all the Midwest in that thing, from Chicago to Denver and Wisconsin to Texas. Sure was fun.

3. ron69424

ron69424 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 5 2004, 10:24 AM) [snapback]9926[/snapback]</div>
    Started flying at 14 in a C-150. Won a Civil Air Patrol scholorship to pay until I soloed at 16. Got my private when I turned 17 and kept adding ratings until I could make money helping others to learn to fly. After university went to A&P mechanics school so I could fix them myself. Moved to Manitoba, Canada to use my talents as a missionary pilot to the Indians in the remote areas. Back in the USA flew the Alaskan highway to deliver a Helio Courier to its new owner in Anchorage at Hood field. Went back the next spring to fly a Helio on floats (what a rush!). Started flying for the airlines in '91 and am fortunate to Captain the 737 for Airtran Airways. I still can't believe they pay me for this. Left Las Vegas this morning, flew over the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon on my way back to Atlanta. What a beautiful country! :D

4. ray0825

ray0825 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am an old (not bold) Hang Glider pilot (27 years so far) from S Carolina. I placed a post in Modifications forum on my hang glider rack for the Prius (See here.)

I wanted to have a strong but removeable rack so I used the front tow point as well. Standard for glider racks is to have 3 support points - spreads the load out.

All my flying sites are 40 - 60 miles away, so the gas was starting to become a consideration on those marginal days (to go or not to go). - before I got the Prius. Had it for about 3 months now. Prius seems to do just fine for a glider-mobile. My mileage went from 56 (no rack) to 46 with rack and glider.

I only saw one other post from 3 years ago on another HG pilot so I know its not a big group in PriusChat.

Anyway - Best of Lift!

5. Mouth

Mouth New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Much worse MGPs than the Prius, but she's my baby.
    [​IMG]

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    thanks for your post Mouth, I've never seen this thread before. I have the same rating I had initially: single engine land. no IFR. I learned to fly in a Beech skipper at GSO before it was piedmont triad international, in greensboro.

What a great feeling it is. I started making model airplanes as a kid of all the WW2 planes. then reading some Richard Bach and books on barnstorming, I knew i had to take lessons. i've had a lot of pilots in my family, and now i can see why.

Never flown a rotor like the one above, just seems like your "glide" with an engine out would be severely limited, but what a ride that is man!! so cool!!

7. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I received my licence in 1954 (for $100 total cost after gov't subsidy) and have over 2500 hours in my Cessna 172XP on floats or wheels (changed each year). Have an instrument rating since 1980. Flew solo from Ontario to Whitehorse on floats with a folding boat strapped to the left float, south to Vancouver and then across the prairies back to Ontario. Kept her moored behind my home which is on a lake near Toronto or at my cottage dock about 120 miles to the north. Sold my baby last year and really miss being able to hop in the plane and bore holes in the sky. Every pilot knows the special feeling of seeing everything from high up.

In a way I suppose my Prius has replaced my Cessna as my fun toy.

8. jmp470

jmp470 New Member

This is a very interesting topic. I belong to another forum on AOPA, it's an airplane owner forum. I keep telling people I will own a plan when I can find the Prius of the sky!!! Thus far no such luck, except maybe the Diamond Da 40. I have my PPL for now. To the guy who owned a 172 with floats, how did you like it? Please fill me in on it, because my wife and I would love to own a float plane...

John

9. kirkrv8

kirkrv8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi I just found this thread as well:D
    I am a Private pilot working on my IR I have around 450hrs and built and fly a RV-8. A amazing combo of a Prius and a hot rod:D:D
    With diesel prices what they are I can fly places much much faster and now do it cheaper:D

10. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi:
    I live in Naples Florida and bought two aircraft a Cirrus SR22 and a Piper J3 Cub.
    I then found three partners for each aircraft. It has worked out great.
    My ratings aren't all that impressive SEL, SES and IFR.
    If anyone gets down here, give me a shout.
    I don't think I'll partner out my Prius.....
    Regards, Don
    239-272-5300

11. Chasek

Chasek New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I learned on a grass strip in VT and flew a number of years. Piper
    Cherokee and also a Cessna 150.

12. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I flew most of my career.

Here's a pic from the start way back when in the 80's...(we were having a mustache growing contest)...
    [​IMG]

And a more recent one from just before I retired this year.
    [​IMG]

13. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I received my PP licence SEL in 1954. It all started when my wealthy aunt gave me a $100 bill for Christmas. In the card she said "This must be used for your education". She didn't say what kind of education. I took the bill to the downtown Toronto Island Airport and the flying school made the deal for my $100 for my licence. The Canadian government was encouraging the training of pilots in those days and they paid the flying school another $100 for each graduate student. They also paid the student still another $100 when graduated. In addition to my gift, I signed the government $100 over to the flying school, so they received a total of $300 for my licence. The rates for flying (C120s and Fleet Canucks) in those days were $9 solo and $11 dual.
    There were no radios that worked. Later got my seaplane rating.

In 1975 I bought a C172 floatplane and had it converted to STOL, 180 HP with a full panel (took floats off in fall and put it on wheels for the winter).
    Got my Class 1 instrument rating in 1980 and since 1975 put over 2500 hours on that plane. One trip I will never forget was to fly on floats (with folding boat strapped above one float, a tent and sleeping bag) from Lake Ontario up through Northern Ontario, Northern Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and to Whitehorse Yukon, then south through the rockies to Butte Inlet and out to the east coast of Vancouver Island to land in Vancouver.
    Then back across the prairies (still on floats) to Toronto.

Also obtained my glider licence and love to rent a Blanik in Pemberton B.C. and spend an afternoon soaring in the Rockies.

Last year I plotted 3 graphs in my mind: 1. the $US 2. my age (74) and 3. the cost of avgas, and made the agonizing decision to sell my baby (see picture below).

As others have stated in their posts, I miss flying terribly but life goes on.

I get much joy from my Prius, the pilots' car.

Attached Files:

14. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Naptownprius,

Awesome - I've wanted to fly frontseat of a Tomcat since before I was 20. Took the navy physical when I was 22 and unfortunately didn't make it due to my vision :(.

Since my early 20's I've flown many Pipers and Cessnas just for fun as a hobby...and hopefully there may be a Lancair in my future. But you get the prize for thrill factor - very cool!

15. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, I got my PPL in 06, 2 yrs after this thread was started! :D I now own a 67 Mooney M20F, have 400 hrs, and my IR. Fly out of Brown field in San Diego (SDM). Learned in a C152 in central Alabama. The traffic is a little different here. :rolleyes: Cool to see all the pilots on here!

Jeremy

16. orange4boy

orange4boy Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got my commercial licence at YVR Vancouver amongst the airliners. I was one of the last before all the schools moved when they started with the landing fee. Flew mostly out of Boundary Bay after that. Then got my float rating and multi engine. Worked on but never finished my instrument rating. Never worked as a pilot, though. Long story.

Not doing much flying these days but get up a couple of times a year.

Would love to build a kit plane.

Love the Prius. Get to practice my instrument scan.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At first I was flattered, being a "Bob," then I noticed the date, 2004. <GRINS>

I soloed in 1966 but sad to say, it was too expensive to complete my private pilot license and I put it away. In 1976, I bought a Cherokee 140 and hired an instructor to teach me to fly. I told him, I didn't care how long it took for me to get my license as long as I was the best trained pilot possible. My training included partial instruments and recovery from unusual attitudes.

Four years later, I gave up the plane, I had a wife and family obligations. When I gave up the plane, I stopped all flying ... not because I didn't love it but I love GOOD flying more. If I can't afford to fly enough to be current and at peak skill level, I don't need to be a statistic waiting to happen.

I have the licensed plans for a Dragonfly, the canard, foam-fiberglass, two-seater. Someday, perhaps. I also have all of the Dragonfly Newsletters. Not for sale!

Bob Wilson