1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pioneer 2330NEX into 2009 Prius - will MFD backup camera still work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by JKidd, Jul 27, 2017.

1. JKidd

JKidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys, I'm getting ready to try to replace my 2009 non-navigation non-JBL factory CD player with a Pioneer 2330 NEX. I do have a factory backup camera that displays on the MFD and an aux audio input in the center console.

Crutchfield advised me to buy the following together with the receiver:

-Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
    -Metra 95-8240B Dash Kit
    -Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness
    -Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness

However, they said that they don't know if the factory backup camera will still work. Why would the factory backup camera not work if I'm not touching the MFD and its inputs? There appears to be a standard video input on the 2330 NEX for an NTSC RCA rear camera, but it doesn't seem like that is the connection between the factory backup camera and the MFD. I figured that my install would be more like simply swapping out the radios. I did look in other threads about backup cameras, but I only seemed to find discussions about installing a new backup camera on base models or having push button access to the backup camera. For other people who have replaced their factory radios and had a factory backup camera, could you please let me know if the backup camera (and other MFD functions) remained fine? I would prefer to keep the factory backup camera image on the MFD and separate from the 2330 NEX receiver.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. JKidd

JKidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if just changing out the radio will leave the factory backup camera function on the MFD intact? I would really appreciate it if anyone with experience could please let me know. I'm very eager to change out the radio, but I'm worried about messing up the backup camera! Thanks!

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Removing the factory CD player will not affect the backup camera, climate controls, etc of the center screen. Note that you have to install a 68 ohm resistor to remove the factory CD player and not get a code. This thread has lots of details on wiring and how to perform the install: Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius | PriusChat

4. JKidd

JKidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Kevin! I'll check it out now!

5. russblack

russblack New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Instead of these :
    Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter
    -Metra 70-1761 Receiver Wiring Harness
    -Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Harness

Try using the RP4.2-TY11 I put this in last night and didn't do anythig with wiring for a camera and the Reverse camera still works on the top MFD along with all steering wheel controls and the air con. It replaces everything (although you do need to join a couple of cables from the radio pro to your new head unit

SFO likes this.