1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP-A versus Jaguar XJ starting in blizzard

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cheallen, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cheallen

cheallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had an interesting conversation at dinner last night with the owner of a new Jaguar XJ, I drive a 2012 PIP-A. During the recent 3 day blizzard in Buffalo (morning temps below zero and single digit highs, 40 mph sustained winds, blowing and drifting snow, etc.) my PIP started perfectly and had no problems while on day 3 of the blizzard the Jaguar would not start and spent a full day at the dealer being repaired.

The two of us (average age 83) live in the same retirement complex in similar houses and use our cars in very similar ways. Most of our trips are about 1/4 mile long - to the dining room, mailbox, meeting rooms, etc. with "long" 2 mile trips to the grocery store several times a week. Then, once a month or so we take long trips to visit grandchildren, etc., but not in the time period discussed here.

It turns out that the problem with pussy cat (as the Jag is known) was not the battery but that the exhaust system was completely blocked with ice such that the back pressure was too high for the car to start. After the dealer removed long cylinders of solid ice from the exhaust pipes, the car started fine. So the question is what should the owner do to prevent this in the future. Moving to Florida or buying a Prius are not under consideration. His suggestion is to run the car for at least 20 minutes on every trip regardless of how long the trip is, to let it warm up. This should do wonders for his gas mileage!

Our PIP does not have this problem because we used it in EV mode through the entire blizzard. Maybe I'll just offer him a ride when pussy cat is indisposed.

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if she was parked with the tailpipe facing the prevailing wind?

3. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Foam exhaust plug when parked in a blizzard.

4. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would think a 20 minute drive once a week would keep the ice from building up in his exhaust here in tropical WNY

5. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Combustion condensation which would collect throughout the exhaust system after a number of very short drives as described, due to not completely warming the engine and drying exhaust system. EV is the way to go!

6. IanIanIanIan

IanIanIanIan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Drill a small (<1mm) hole in the exhaust at the lowest point to let the condensed water from the combustion products drain away before they freeze.

7. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Visit grandchildren more often?

Simtronic and markabele like this.
  8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Drive 20 mins before the snow storm.

9. SLOW_RR

SLOW_RR Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Quarter mile.... Walk over for dinner. You'll both have a better appetite....:whistle: Call a taxi? Car pool? Buy a Tesla.... At the next Inmate/Resident meeting have them get a bus that will go around and pick up/deliver residents from their houses to the dining room for meals....;) ;)

10. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jaguars are emong the least reliable non-Italian cars - always have been - while most Japanese cars are excellent at cold weather starts. It's hard to say how much of the ice was from condensation of exhaust water vapor and how much was 'blown in' snow that melted and refroze. The first step is to protect the exhaust from snow, and then see how much improvment there is. As for your PIP, you could try a loose-fitting exhaust pipe cap, but even that could freeze in place if you forget to remove it and cause real problems, so I'd just park facing away from lake effect winds as much as possible.