1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP acceleration in EV mode compared to Gen 3 PHEV

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Germwise, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    My wife has a 2012 hatchback prius. I am considering a PIP. Given my 10 mile daily commute and the incentives currently available I think the PIP might pay off sooner than a HEV.My concern is with the EV mode acceleration.

On my wife's prius, we try to stay on the EV side of the HSI as much as possible but the acceleration can be excruciatingly slow, particularly if there is an incline. I cannot see myself driving entirely in electric, particularly in the highway where even with the engine on, getting to speed without hitting power mode takes skill and patience.

My question is does the PIP have stronger electric motors? If not, is it possible to push the motors harder (that is, push the pedal further without causing the engine to turn on)?

As a side note, can you guys recommend good youtube reviews of PIP-specific features. Everytime I see a review it just mentions added EV range.

I want to get a feel for:

How often the engine is needed
    Smart phone integration to track electricity usage, mpgs on something other than the dash?
    Charge scheduling?
    Do seat heaters turn on with AC button on the FOB?
    If I plug in a 12V heater as some have mentioned, will it turn on with the AC button?

Thanks for your comments!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) you shouldn't try to stay on electric in your wife's car, it hurts gas mileage.
    2) the pip has true ev button that allows you to accelerate all the way to the power zone before ice comes on. plenty of power for most situations.
    3) ice comes on over 62 mph and you need it for most highway driving. i do 4 miles per day of 55 mph in ev no problem.
    4) a/c button on fob only turns on a/c. not seat heaters or small electric heater. you're gonna need the ice for heat sooner or later, but it warms up fast and provides heat even after it shuts down until coolant temp drops below threshold. more efficient than non plug in.
    5) i did a 15 mile r/t commute all summer with no ice. a/c is very efficient. but now with temps cooling and headlamps on at night, i'm down to about 13-14 miles max. some only getting 8-9 in cold weather. good news is, you can use the ice and still get over 100mpge.
    6) all the best!

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Germwise, I assume you mean your wife has a 2012 HEV (aka Prius Hatchback)?

The P is for plug-in which is the PIP.

4. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    Bisco, it is interesting you say that about electric mode on HEV.

My reasoning is that at low speeds around the neighborhood, I don't need the ICE on, and the battery is charged during the highway portion of my driving where the ICE must be on anyway. Last weekend when our road passed through a town and the speed dropped from 55 to 30, I stayed in electric to deplete the battery with the same reasoning. I usually get 58-70mpg on an average 15 mile trip.

My wife told me something interesting yesterday that on her ~4 mile trip to work, she gets better gas mileage with "peppy" driving style, hard stops, fast starts, than she does when feathering the prius and taking it easy. She figures her drive is shorter by a couple of minutes which makes a difference. I'll have to test this.

There should be a course on prius driving.

Thanks for the info on the EV mode. I'll be test driving tomorrow.

5. Germwise

Germwise Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Five
    Corrected the mistake. Thanks for catching it

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes. If it wasn't clear from the other posts you can go to 62 mph in EV mode.

I've had every model of Prius (except the new V and C).

The Plug-in Prius is equal or better than the 2012, driving/mpg/efficiency-wise.
    There are a couple of minor downgrades...no spare tire, a bit less/smaller storage in the front (drinks, etc).
    The upper trunk space is the same but the extra batteries take up most of the lower trunk and spare tire area.

Mike

8. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    No, it doesn't, but the electric motor is fairly powerful already.
    Yes, the battery is able to supply more power to the electric motor, so the ICE doesn't have to kick in to generate electricity via MG1 to fully power MG2.
    In EV Mode, the large center bar can be full while staying fully in EV under 62 MPH. My opinion is that in EV mode vs HV mode, for an equivalent bar on the HSI indicator, EV mode is noticeably more powerful than HV mode.
    ECO Dashboard only in the Advanced Trim.
    A charge timer is standard equipment. The Advanced trim also has Charge management.
    No.
    I don't think this is not strictly true. My experience is that if you can stay in EV to keep the engine off and recharge the battery when the engine would otherwise have to run, then you can get better gas mileage.
    I would agree with this strategy.
    Hard stops are not good. The most ideal stop would be coasting to a stop, so no energy is even lost to regenerative braking losses, but of course this is hard to do. If you have to regen brake, it should be kept slower for efficiency and also to avoid friction brakes. Ideal acceleration is to either keep the engine off to use no gas, or if the ICE must be used, all power should go to the wheels (no power to charging the battery which incurs battery charging losses). Of course, you don't want to speed to a red light.

Anyhow, I suspect what is going on with her driving is that she is able to hit fewer red lights driving a little faster. Reducing the number of start/stops has a very significant effect on mileage.

lensovet likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Comparing the battery power in the plugin EV mode vs. battery power in HV mode, it feels as if it is 4x more powerful.

10. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    if i use up all my EV miles in the PiP, wouldn't acceleration be worse than a Gen3 HEV because of the added weight of the Li batteries?

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, as if you have an extra 150 lbs passenger.

SJ PiP likes this.
  12. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not enough to matter, unless you are drag racing.

Also, the PiP EV acceleration is night and day from the HEV Prius EV. The PiP EV is about equal to being about 25% in to the power zone on the HEV.

lensovet likes this.