1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP and the Future of Home Charging

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iplug, Aug 20, 2013.

1. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Many of us get by with the original level 1 EVSE that came with the PiP. Some of us have a level 2 EVSE at home. But what say ye about the home charging needs in the future?

Here is one of my concerns. We have two cars in our family, but for now the PiP is the only plug-in. In the grand scheme of things, compared to say a Tesla, it just sips electricity. But in a few years many of us will have two plug-in vehicles each with at least the charging needs of the current Tesla. That may call for some very hefty amperage upgrades. Not talking a 30-40 amp charger here, but maybe a dual charger capable of 200+ amps.

We haven’t even sorted out the universal EVSE plug issue. But for the electrically inclined out there, how complicated will this be to for a typical home to accommodate this sort of amperage in the future?

2. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you getting 200 Amps? A lot of homes don't even have a 200 amp service for the whole house?? Nevermind 200 amps for a charger.

3. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I already have two 220v outlets on separate breakers. One is rated 30 amps and one is 20 amps. I could easily add a third one if I wanted to. With two plug-in cars, you just need 60 amps total. And if you time the chargers right, you could start charging one car first and then charge the second one after.

4. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That is part of my concern here.

Most of us currently don't have long commutes - that's one reason we have the PiP and a level 1 EVSE does just fine. But there are plenty of people who would need to drive 50+ miles a day between home charges, and many of us drive 200+ miles at different times a year. There will be larger and heavier plug-ins in the future. With careful planning, a two car family could get by with less than 100 amps, but there will be those who just want to plug in and go without having to think too hard about preemptively charging.

5. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should be more concern of the battery technology than home charging. One of the reasons why pure EV's aren't that popular is because the battery's cost/performance is too high. In fact, even PiP isn't that popular compared to hybrids when you look at it as in the entire country.

6. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought the OpenEVSE guys were working on something like this.. but ideally, if I had a Tesla and a PiP, I'd want a charger than can charge up to, say 90A (which would be awesome for the Tesla).. or whatever your existing system can handle. But have two J1772 handles.. and if I had the PiP plugged in, then the available amperage for the 2nd J1772 handle would be limited accordingly. Then you wouldnt need to worry about upgrading your home's electrical service or adding a new panel or something.

Although as you mentioned, in the future, you may have 2 cars that can handle a total of 200A, its highly unlikely BOTH cars would need to charge overnight at full capacity.

iplug likes this.
  7. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They seem to be ahead of the game. The customizable options are nice and one would need a dual charger in the future.

Good point. Most homes of the last generation might handle the lower 90 A. Hopefully newer homes are built with high amp EVSE demands in mind, but some older homes might have some challenges.

I agree, a dual EVSE than can intelligently manage power demands without breaking a circuit, and even devices that can manage power with the rest of the house and even grid would be nice.

8. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally don't think this subject can be brought up without talking about a few other things...

If people really have 100 mile commutes.....number one, should they be using an EV; and number two, that is their fault for living that far away from their job.

If EV usage really goes that widespread will it drop the price of gasoline causing an equilibrium of sorts for decades into the future with both gasoline and electricity being used?

9. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm shaking my head at that one.

delta likes this.
  10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a matter of economics and environmentalism (and time-onomics). Why would someone give up that much time on the road, money to travel costs, and all the harm to the environment that much travel causes when they can simply move a little closer and have none of those issues?

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This shouldn't be any more complicated than the original retrofit of electricity to houses that were built before electricity was locally available. E.g. the house I grew up in. Dad remembers it arriving when he was a teenager. I remember a couple upgrades.

If the market exists, users will adapt, though it may cost some money.

12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Californians often pride themselves for environmentalism, so this is a strange situation here. I know plenty of folks in Southern and Northern California with long (time) commutes. Yes, distances are part of it, but even 20 mile one-way commutes can take over an hour. Here, property values and the suburban lifestyle are part of the problem. Many jobs aren't where suburbia is. Folks would live closer to work, but often the schools are not good or the cost to buy a house there is too high.

I was fortunate to find a house just 1.5 miles away from a great job with great local schools.

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet another reason I love living in the midwest. None, or very little, traffic issues. Most schools are pretty decent. And homes are affordable. We just have to put up with about 2 or 3 months of some not so great weather.

fwiw I do like California...great place to visit. ;)

14. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most new homes have 200 amp service...lots of older ones only 100 amps. I don't see the need for charging at home with a large Tesla-like supercharger. The average person drives about 12-15K miles per year...even if you assume none of that is on long road trips, that is only a max of ~40 miles per day. Even if you assume just 250 driving days per year that is only 60 miles per day. With the PIP L1 charging rate that takes 10 hours to charge. L2 is about 5 hours. Go to some special 50 amp charger and you can do it in an hour. Do you really need faster than an hour per car each day at home?

Sure, on a road trip an hour is a long time...but plugged in overnight...no big deal. But the cost would be a big deal considering you'd have to rewire the whole breaker box, bring in 440v instead of 220v, rewire the whole neighborhood distribution system up on poles or in the ground. The cost would be too high.

Tesla is selling cars to rich people. Even they haven't proposed selling a supercharger for home use.

Mike

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I would be happy (with a PiP and) with Level 1 at home, in fact I wish I could opt for even half the power draw on the overnight charge up to be kind and gentle on the home wiring.

16. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you're being naive and uncaring.
    - A lot of households have and depend on two incomes, which makes it hard to find the perfect location. (My wife and I work in opposite directions, but fortunately it's only a total of 24-27 miles apart; it used to be closer to 40 miles*).
    - Job stability is low so the right place can very easily turn into the wrong place.
    - In many locations the price of housing is so high that the economics push people to very long commutes.

If I'm critical of anything it's of people sprawling away from cities into large houses on large plots of land, land which they spend hours each week trying to make as perfectly unproductive as they can.

Fortunately people are turning away from the modern distant suburbia and moving back into the city or city suburbs. However, that doesn't mean the labor market won't dictate longer commutes.

* Before that it was over 3,000 miles but then I got my visa. ;)

17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, not happening. Conservatively, 1kW is 2 miles per hour. 40kW is 80 miles per hour. I really pity the household that needs that much charging.

Installations for 80A HPWCs are several thousand dollars, but most people really don't need that and many Tesla Model S owners aren't bothering. Cars are idle most of the time, so unless you have an extreme commute, even with 6 hours of L2 a car could accumulate range during a week.

18. plchung

plchung Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sometimes you need to accept the reality, although you want everything to be ideal. For me, i work at different locations. One is 5 miles away, the other is 20 miles away, the longest is about 40 miles away. I wish I could buy houses right next to each work place. Maybe when I win lottery. Especially in CA, even a short trip can become a longest trip ever.

My friend just found a new job, which is also 40 miles away from his house. But the houses in that area are all million dollar houses. Therefore, my friend decides to make long commute everyday.

19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's not a matter of complication but entirely a matter of expense. The only complications arise when trying to find shortcuts in following all the required electrical codes. If you want 200 Amps service to charge a fleet of EVs, there would be dozens of electrical contractors after that high margin business. Some serious copper is involved and that is one expensive metal.

Now 200 Amps is way too large for just two cars as shown in other posts. It can be done, but the money would be much better spent getting a smart charger setup that makes dual use of a 40 Amp feed. (I don't refuel my gas car like in a NASCAR pit stop, and I would not want to supercharge my EV for essentially the same reason.)

20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I never said I had any problem with 10-30 mile commutes. Above that it's a little gray. And above 70 miles is just downright stupid (one way, everyday).

Also, there are a lot of homes in our area that are being built with 150 amp service and even a few little ones that still get 100 amp.