1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Base Lumbar Aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pineprius, Jun 10, 2012.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Does anyone know a way to install a manual or elec/pneumatic lumbar support on the driver's seatback? I can think of several ways, but there must be a somewhat simple way to make the seatback more comfortable. Possibly a part number from a regular Gen III, or replacement part from the Advanced? I really don't care if it's manual or electric driven. I'm not interested in pillows or Relax the Back cushions.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't remember a thread on it, have you searched? i would think the advanced model parts would be your best bet, unless the power seat is somehow different.

3. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a base model PIP too... When I want lumbar support, I just reach down to the left of the driver's seat, and give the lumbar
    support handle a couple of pulls to add air to the lumbar bladder. Perhaps your car doesn't have that, or perhaps you're unhappy
    with it after you've done that?

4. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have missed the humor. :confused:

5. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen a couple of postings about folks complaining about no lumbar support. I don't understand because I believe the car
    already comes with the support; there's a handle to the left of the driver's seat that allows you to adjust it. I've adjusted my
    driver's seat multiple times. The support/comfort it provides isn't great, but it is there.

6. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no lumbar support in the Base pip, only the advanced. You are referring to the reclining seat back.

7. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am not referring to the reclining seat back. When I lift the side lever multiple times, the lower back support changes firmness.
    I believe when you push the lever down, the lumbar support deflates. Please try it in your car... It does work. If I can find
    additional information in the owner's manual this evening, I will post the page number where I found the information.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you're adjusting the seat height?

9. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The lever I'm referring to is listed on page 146 of the owner's manual. It says "vertical height adjustment" for lever #3; on my car it adjusts the lumbar cushion and not the height of the seat. I believe the translation in the manual
    is incorrect.

10. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm, I'd really like to get to the bottom of this... It seems we have a little controversy. But I'm afraid if this is a U.S. base model there is no adjustable lumbar. I hope I'm wrong!
    r

11. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If it were a height adjustment, that would be a problem for me because my head would hit the ceiling. You have to pump the lever multiple times to fill the bladder. Pushing the lever down deflates the bladder.

12. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Perhaps it's a height adjustment in countries where drivers are more... Um... Er... Height challenged? ;-)

13. NewbieOR

NewbieOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry... no controversy. Time to man up and admit I was wrong. Apparently my tush isn't sensitive enough to distinguish between
    pitch and roll or extra added lumbar support. It *is* a seat height adjustment and NOT a lumbar support...

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and we all think more of you for admitting/realizing it. :p i'm glad it feels like a lumbar support to you tho, i'll have to try adjusting mine when my back gets tired, although, i am seriously height challenged.:D