1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP charger or Prime charger

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jfschultz, Jul 17, 2019.

1. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In a few weeks my new 2020 Prime should arrive and I'll be trading in a 2004 Prius. So I will have both a 2013 Plug-in Prius and a 2020 Prime. Is there a particular reason to use one charging cable over the other? I will probably drive the Plug-in Prius once a week to keep it healthy and happy for my wife's occasional use.

(Lesson learned: There have been a number of times I needed to crawl through the back to open the rear hatch to connect a charger to the auxiliary battery on the 2004 Prius.)

Arctic_White likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the new car!! The cables should both work the same even though they have some minor differences. (BTW, re: the thread title -- the chargers are in the cars.)

A few considerations:
    • I've read that there is a limit on the number of times the EVSE cable can be used. It's a big number, though. Don't know if you want to preserve the new by using the old primarily or not. I wouldn't obsess over it.
    • The manual advises against letting the car set for "long" (whatever that means) periods with a full traction battery.
    • There's no need to open the hatch to charge the aux battery. There are connection points under the hood.
    Enjoy the new ride. I also upgraded from a 2013 PiP back in March. I think you'll be very impressed at the improvements, and hopefully not too annoyed by the occasional "Why'd they do that?" features. (y)

Arctic_White likes this.
  3. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Being extra cautious with all the complex electronics, I make it a practice to pull the ground cable when charging.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So removing and reattaching the battery ground is less disruptive to the electronics than attaching the leads of turned off charger and then turning the charger on?

Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prime evse has an 8 amp option, if you have a bad circuit, or maybe it is part of the in car charger.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More like hyper cautious. :D

That's a function of the car, not the EVSE.

bisco likes this.