1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP extended warranty where to purchase, what did you pay

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ppimd, Apr 11, 2015.

1. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As the three year mark is coming up this month I'm considering an extender warranty, Midwest Toyota the go to place for warranties, and Mr. Jerry Johnson can no longer sell over the phone, Toyota shut him off, yet other dealerships can still do this. What pricing have you seen for the platinum 7 or 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.?

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I paid $1140 for the 7/100 from Troy at Toyota of Greenfield, MA. You actually have to go there, though.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind assuming you are still in MD which is CARB state and you purchased in MD, you have major components covered 150k miles and 10-yrs.

That's pretty good compared to me in VA you get great CARB warranty, low sales tax on the car purchase, and presumably you got the MD tax credit. So make sure you really want the warranty.

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Be hard to pass that one up.

5. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I paid $1100 when I bought my '14 PiP from Carson Toyota a year ago. That was the 8yr/100,000mi "platinum" plan.

6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Did they send you something in the mail for this or how did you know about it? I have a 2014 Avalon. I have never bought an extended warranty but I would take this one if I could get it.

7. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just called Carson Toyota and was quoted $2095, near list

Any other suggestions or recommended dealers. How about the California dealer and the sales lady Diane who use to post daily the available plug ins?

i just spoke with Diane and will not sell you a warranty unless she sold you the car

#7 ppimd, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
  8. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Not surprising at all. What was surprising were those few dealers that would sell the plans a capella.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't know how long ago that started . . . but we purchased (via email) both our hybrid warranties from Troy, and we're in Cali. Last purchase was . . . . . maybe 2009 or 2010? After shopping around, they definately beat every other price.

10. ppimd

ppimd Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Called Troy today, call routed, here there finally $2225 8/100,000 most expensive quote today

11. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Sounds like he's been schooled by the powers that be: Thou shall not offer a discounted warranty package to walk in customers.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Did you mention you're part of priuschat? Danny used to have Troy's product in the PC store - and so if you mentioned PC, the best price was there for the having. That was 5 or more years back - and I didn't check the store - so maybe things changed -

13. ft3sfty

ft3sfty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The extended 100k mile warranty was quoted for $1900 in Northern CA when I purchased my PIP last month.

14. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    That's the only time (when in the dealership purchasing the vehicle) that you have the leverage to drop the cost of the plan. I don't think the plan costs dealers much more than around $980. Clearly, they are now dispensing at retail price if you walk in after the sale.

15. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like capitalism at it's finest: block discounted internet sales of extended warranties in order to keep the status quo and allow stealerships to continue taking advantage of consumers. I had purchased my extended warranty for my C online back when Elmore Toyota was allowed to do so, and I got 5 years 125k miles Platinum for $880. I was consider purchasing one for my PiP, but no longer have plans to do so ever since Toyota blocked online extended warranty sales. They probably helped me make a wise decision to not purchase it, since extended warranties are generally best for corporations and a bad deal for consumers. After almost 3 years with the C and nearly 60k miles, the only thing the extended warranty was used for has been a broken power door lock actuator, which would have cost me $650 through a Toyota dealership, so I still have not recuperated the costs of the extended warranty (as cheap as I got it).

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the extended warranty is such a good deal then why did you buy the car? Keep that money invested and statistically you'll be ahead.

17. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Ordinarily, I'd agree with this approach. But when one can negotiate the cost of the extended warranty down to less than 3% of purchase price, it's kind of a no-brainer for 5-7 years more warranty coverage.

18. ft3sfty

ft3sfty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The dealership in my case wouldn't budge below $1900 for the extended warranty. Initial quote was $2200 for the 2015 Plug In warranty. I mentioned I'll pass and the warranty price kept going down until $1900. The finance rep made it sound like there are so many more things that can go wrong with the PIP because of all the electronics and hence the reason it costs so much more for the extended warranty.

19. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    My experience with the '04 was that I broke even on the extended warranty. (Fixed under extended warranty: Rear taillight assemblies had the "melting fin" issue, inverter water pump, and one other minor issue.) But again, I paid less than $1,000 for the extended warranty. At or near full list price for the Platinum warranty, I agree with the herd mentality: it's probably not worth it.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do these extended warranties have a stipulation that all the maintenance be done at dealership?