1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Extended Warranty ?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by eddiesudz, Mar 4, 2012.

1. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The quote I got at the CU today for the Advanced Tech Pkg on their Extended Warranty - for 6 years or 100K - at a $100 deductible - was $799.00. A $200 deductible would bring it down to $553.00. I have a feeling those numbers may be a little closer to a true "dealer's cost". Plus, I don't have to decide about this today. As mentioned in another post above, I have until 10K miles, and then because it's from the CU, we can amend the loan to include the warranty amount if I decide to go that way. It would add about $15/mo to the monthly payment.

I haven't ever bought one of these before, but I am going to follow closely the first 5-7,000 mile reports here on PC. I am more concerned about the technology inside the car than the propulsion system. The computers really control everything from soup to nuts in a new Prius PHEV.

We'll see. I haven't seen any data, but I could be easily convinced that once someone leaves the dealership without an Extended Warranty or Service Contract, it's unlikely they'll come back a few months later just to buy one. So if the dealerships want to make a few more dollars at the sale, they've got to do it at finance time.

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    But this isnt a Toyota extended warranty, correct? This sounds like a 3rd party warranty that covers/reimburses you for any warranty claims you may have during your coverage period.

With a Toyota extended warranty, you can decide to buy anytime prior to your standard 3/36k warranty's expiration.

3. 2priusfam

2priusfam New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The car is loaded with electronics which are the things that typically break especially the adv tech version. One repair could easily cover the cost of the warranty.

the other issue is if you decide to sell you'll be selling it with a warranty to be transferred. More attractive

4. DCDave

DCDave Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem with all of the extended warranties my dealer offered is that they were only brought up as I paid for the car - the very last part of a long morning at the dealership. Since they knew for months that I was buying this car...and, after the car arrived at the dealership, there were two days before I came to get it...there was ample time to explain warranty options in advance. Otherwise, it feels like they're just trying to play me for a sucker. Toyota dealers: f you are selling a quality extended warranty product, then give us the time to consider it properly. Or else the last impression you've left on the buyer is being ticked off, instead of excited by this wonderful new car.