1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Fitness for Use

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pineprius, May 22, 2012.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Having done my due diligence concerning the performance of the PIP prior to purchase, I am confounded by the increasing choir of potential buyers that are concerned about the ability of the PIP to perform as marketed. I made a concerted effort to make sure the PIP would be a good match to our needs regarding efficiency, comfort and performance, prior to buying. I understand there are CA HOV buyers that have other motives which enhance the reason for buying, but overall, any potential purchaser should look at the Fuelly.com site to see the results of what the PIP can and will do. For every 1% of EV versus HV mode operation, it is incredible what this car can do with a gallon of gas and a KW of juice. My cost of juice is just $.08/KWH inclusive of all costs, so it's pretty simple.:spy:

2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not even sure of your point.. are you saying it is fit, or not?
    Also not clear what are your goals..

Fuelly data is 69 MPG for the Pip but does not provide EV%. You can find more detailed data in the PC PiP spreadsheet at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AptkktKEhdz9dGF0WWdUZEpqWWdJOGhDWlFsWDBUdGc#gid=10

The PiP is, for some people, better than the prius, but you'll need to consider the cost difference verses your goals. There are cars that use less gas, if they fit your needs.

If you are looking for feedback on its fitness for your use you might want to describe your needs (commute length etc).

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How has it been marketed?

Being able to recharge at work has been nice for me, with a commute distance each way greater than the capacity available. That won't last, since someday there will be others to share the charging-station with. And the cold reality of Minnesota's winters will profoundly impact efficiency.

Do I care? Nope. That's because efficiency will still be above what the regular Prius delivers... though that's hardly anything to be disappointed with.

You get a significant MPG boost pretty much no matter what your driving situation is... however, YMMV still applies.

4. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm getting 90-100 mpg

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm getting 100 to 110 mpg but that is because the majority of my trips are within the EV range of the car. A couple of really long trips will bring that overall average down.

That is the point. The PiP affords an opportunity for super major efficiency IF short trips are the rule. If not, at least it offers top tier efficiency. The Volt is right up there with a slightly different "sweet spot".

We have passed into a phase where the "one size fits all" idea is no longer good thinking. We can now optimize our car selection to fit us much better. The PiP is just right for me. That does not mean it is just right for everyone. But it will work fine for a LOT of people many who have other quite viable choices including the "liftback" Prius.

4 people like this.
  6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mileage is a funny thing. I can drive 25 miles in EV mode, mileage is 999 MPG, but of the engine starts just to warm itself, mileage falls to 250 MPG or less. That's not a complaint about the car, but more about the effect of MPG. A difference of 5 MPG is tremendous if your car gets 12 to 20 MPG, but it's pretty minor if your car gets 60 or 70 MPG.

7. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Ouch.. 25 miles in EV and an engine start to warm taking you to 250MPG means that "warming" used .1 gallons? Really?

But yes since MPG is a ratio when the denominator is small, then its very unstable. MPGe is a bit more stable, or talk about the amount of gas used.

8. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I thought my thread was pretty clear. This states it even better. There are a group of people who assume things, and then the rest that actually figure out what our needs are and make good decisions.:spy:

1 person likes this.
  9. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    When people read the word 'fitness', I think they automatically think of 'physical fitness'. Thus, I think the thread title confused people (and the point you were trying to make).

10. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my current tank is 200mpg over nearly 800miles....I think it does quite well :)

11. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed! I think it does extremely well!

It is fit for use.

1 person likes this.