1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Fuel Tank Reserve?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by The Converted Moth, Sep 20, 2016.

1. The Converted Moth

The Converted Moth New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey, has anyone figured out how much fuel is usually left in the tank after the guess-o-meter starts blinking? I drove out of town last weekend without filling up (oops!), and had it beep and blink at me. I was about 20 miles from the gas station. The range estimation was at 0 and I still made it. It was flat, 90 degrees out, with about 12 miles at 50 mph and 8 miles at 66 mph. I'm curious if Toyota left less of a "reserve" with the PIP over the reg Prius due to the smaller tank? Oh and I had zero plugin charge stored.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's around 2 gallons. 10 gallon tank, and i put in 8 gallons when the bar starts flashing. it should be in the o/m.

i drove 65 miles yesterday after the pip started flashing. i haven't filled it yet, but should be around 9 gallons.

3. The Converted Moth

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, 2 gallons!? Thanks for the info, I don't have an Owners Manual :( and don't usually run it low. Its a pain sifting through all the other Gen 3 Prius info on the web, so I'm glad I found this site.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me neither. :oops: didn't see you were new, welcome. there is somewhere on line, you can get free pdf i believe. check the toyota owners site. all the best!(y)

5. The Converted Moth

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks! Ill check it out. Seems like a good online community here.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice bunch, no question.

7. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I use the rule of thumb that you can rely on driving ten times your average MPG on the meter, assuming you've topped the tank. I usually get the beep and blink when I'm about 100-120 miles from 10xMPG. So I guess about 1-1/2-to-2 gallons is about right.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you read the first post of this overly long thread?:
    [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III) | PriusChat

Unless someone else has run the same test on the PiP (I don't recall), it seems to be sorta reasonable to assume that the PiP's 'reserve' range is very crudely proportionally less than the regular Liftback. But don't blame me if this crude assumption leaves you stranded. :)

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every time I fill my "empty" PiP, it only takes 8.x gallons. So I'm fairly certain that "empty" means one gallon is left -- about fifty miles if the battery is uncharged. The safe bet is that driving 20-25 miles is no problem. Drive 40 miles on empty (with no battery charge) and you're at risk.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every time I fill my "empty" PiP, it only takes 8.x gallons. So I'm fairly certain that "empty" means one gallon is left -- about fifty miles if the battery is uncharged. The safe bet is that driving 20-25 miles is no problem. Drive 40 miles on empty (with no battery charge) and you're at risk.