1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP/Gen3 and Michelin Defender LLR Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pineprius, Oct 8, 2012.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    After looking at the LLR thread, I noticed a fairly new LLR tire was not part of the analysis nor Tire Rack's tests. Does anyone have any experience with this tire either Gen 3 or PIP? Seems to have unusually good mileage and handling performance. The Costco tire manager said he "steers" Prius owners to this tire. Edit, new TR test is rated 8.6.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel efficiency is lower than the Energy Saver A/S and lower than the OE tire but handling and treadlife are higher on the Defender. Which is more important to you? :)

3. Godzuki

Godzuki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Defenders have a treadwear number of 820 - the highest I've seen so far on a tire... One could probably get some good fuel efficiency by making sure the tires stay inflated at max pressure.

4. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Where is the data to authenticate this? In addition, when I called Michelin at 800-847-3435 tech support, they said the Energy Saver A/S is being phased out but is still made for "selected cars" that came with them as OEM. The Primacy line is absorbing the Energy Saver line in the future. The Green X Primacy line is also LRR.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The information is out there if you choose to look for it. Unfortunately it is not contained in a single test. The fact that you cannot have a tire that is ultra LRR and ultra long-lived and have excellent traction is a good indicator that the Defender is less fuel efficient than the Energy Saver A/S. you can only choose one corner of the magic triangle to perfect in. A few of us have tested the tires and have come to the same conclusion. The Defender is slightly worse than the OE tires in terms of fuel efficiency and the Energy Saver A/S is 2-3mpg better than the OE tire. You can stretch the Magic Triangle somewhat when exotic materials and construction are employed but you can only go so far and that raises the price of the tire.

FWIW, the 4 times I have contacted Michelin on this matter they adamantly stated the Defender is not replacing the Energy Saver A/S. If that has changed then it is news to me.

That being said, the Defender appears to be a great tire and safer than the Energy Saver A/S. I still prefer the later.

6. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have looked just about everywhere for this info. LRR tests are usually done on a dyno, I'd like to see the results of the Michelin Defender. I understand the theory of the triangle, seems silica is a fairly new component of the long lasting tires without sacrificing handling. As far as FWIW, I stated the Michelin tech rep told me the Primacy line (not Defender) is absorbing the Energy Saver A/S line. I noticed your sold 05 Prius had Primacy MXM4. Since some of these are not Green X, was yours? How did they perform?

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    None of the newer 2009+ LRR tires in North America have been thoroughly tested on machines like they have done with older tires or is being done in Europe. Most of the tests here are done by Consumer Reports, TireRack.com etc.. Some of us have our anecdotal evidence as well. The few people who have tried the Defender in a 195/65/15 observed a drop of 2-3mpg over their worn OE Yokohama S33D tires. With wear, the Defender would likely come to within 1mpg of the OE tire but have much better performance and longevity. Unfortunately, when TireRack tested the Defender against other LRR tires, they didn't produce and fuel efficiency numbers that they could print so it left us in the dark. All we have to go by are user experiences and manufacturer information. Using the same anecdotal experiences, the Energy Saver A/S beats the OE tire by 2-3mpg even when brand new! I've observed this myself.

Here is an older test that included the Energy Saver A/S.
    Tire Test Results : When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

My first set of Primacy MXM4s were used on my GenII and were GreenX labeled for LRR. They are a fantastic tire but not the most fuel efficient despite their LRR rating. I bought another set of 215/45/17s for my GenIII but returned them after observing a 7+mpg hit vs. my 15" Energy Saver A/S.
    Tire Test Results : Testing New Grand Touring All-Season Tires

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. vintagebob

vintagebob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just put a set of Energy Saver A/S on my PIP. They are still listed on the Michelin website. The Michelin website also indicates that the Energy Saver A/S is more fuel efficent than the Defender tire.

Shop for Passenger Car/Minivan Tires | Michelin Tires