1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP - Hayward Toyota dealer demanding $595 over negotiated pre-order price

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by vine, Apr 22, 2012.

1. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is what you need to print out and take in to them. That is your/their agreed upon price. They might wish to be buttheads about this, but you have the contract.

2. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you don't already know yet, I would find some reason to get your VIN. The car with that VIN is yours; the dealership cannot try to sell it to another party unless you give it up.

3. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Another sleazy dealer for the list...

4. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is great to hear. Do you mind sharing how
    much below msrp you are paying? As I understand there aren't any folks that got more than 500 below msrp. What bothers me is them using a bait and switch tactic. Maybe they were hoping to get many orders and then some cancellations so that they could keep the cars and sell at significant $ over.

5. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    sounds like Hayward Toyota sucks.... I never even heard of a TDA fee until this thread... if you aren't going to buy it.. they're going to wait until someone else does..

either way.. i don't know if i would want to bother dealing with that dealership..

6. minori

minori New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same thing happened to me @ Hayward Toyota. I talked the GM and finally he let me purchased the vehicle with the the price we agreed upon on 6 months ago after wasting an hour there. It wasn't a pleasant experience at all! I think the whole situation was unethical and I will think twice to shop with them again. It's sad!:mad:

7. JacobStahler

JacobStahler New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Four
    PiP are extremely hard for dealers to get their hands on.

I have seen them go for 4k over MSRP just because of demand.

8. Kimbapooch

Kimbapooch New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Exactly! They're just trying to scare you into passing on it so they can sell it to someone on their undoubtably long waiting list for a much inflated price. Don't cave!

9. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay.... this is starting to get really annoying and quite frsutrating. I just got a message from the guy I talked to this morning at Autowest Toyota at Hayward threatening that he is officially cancelling my order since I had not paid a $500 deposit. Today is the first time that I am hearing about a $500 deposit. Here is my Toyota order page

order status/history
    Online order submitted11/17/2011Online dealer agreement[​IMG]Online order confirmed[​IMG]Manufacturing month confirmed[​IMG]Your Plug-in was built[​IMG]In transit to port[​IMG]Arrived at US port[​IMG]

If my order was not completed, how come there is a check mark next to the "online dealer agreement" and why is there a car in my name that arrived at the US port. Today, the guy called me to inform me that the car is arriving at the dealership on Thursday and it would be ready for pickup on Friday. I am not thinking that since the ship arrived in Benecia on the 16th evening, the car is already at the dealership and these guys are probably showing it to other folks and collecting offers.

I never received any communication from these guys asking me for a $500 deposit since I said that they were cheating and lying - I never said any such thing. I would have gladly put my deposit down if they asked for it or I knew about it. They are just looking for excuses to get out and sell it to others.

If there was a missing $500 deposit, why is there a car that I ordered and configured coming to their dealership. How did the transaction go through? Simple fact is that they never asked and I never knew about it.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They were supposed to collect the $500 deposit before they accepted the 'deal' on their end allowing you to do the final confirmation. Like I said, since you have a pre-order in the system from last year I suggest contacting Erica on here, username Prius Team, and maybe even call the phone number listed on one of those online order system pages concerning this.

1 person likes this.
  11. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if its normal then wy not tell this upfront? to the buyer?

12. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would contact the Attorney general in your state, Toyota and media outlets for consumer rights. If they all say it is ok for the dealership to do this then just payup and enjoy a great car. If not, then by all means go after them and also put this on every sociol network. They will think about this for a long time after that. Good luck.

13. Sandiegomom

Sandiegomom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    FWIW, I didn't pay a deposit and had no issues picking up my car.

14. Brentley

Brentley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My car was also on the same ship as yours and took a week to get from Benicia to Berkeley. I am sure that there is an order as to how long it takes to get from the port to the dealer.

15. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks paradox. Last night I tried to send Erica a private message but for some reason, it was not working. So I sent her a public message. I will call the number on the Toyota website today.

16. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Vine, I suggest you let the dealer know that shafting you will cause them more trouble than it's worth.

Tell them to google "Hayward Toyota Prius." The sixth hit is a link to this thread. (It's the first link that doesn't go to their site.) [​IMG] "Hayward Prius" gets on the first page too. So educate them that they are hurting their reputation by continuing to pressure you.

Tell them you are going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Then go on line and do it. Hayward Toyota is rated A+ by the BBB and they probably want to protect that. (It seems misleading - they had 13 resolved complaints in the last three years. My dealer, Putnam, isn't rated although they only had 4 complaints.)

Tell them you're posting a negative review on their Yelp page. Then do it. Minori, you should do that also. Might keep them from doing this to some other folks.

You could also file a complaint with the DMV. The actual complaint won't do you any good but it'll add to the pressure on the dealer.

All of our pre-orders "required" a $500 deposit. AFAIK few if any of the dealers bothered to collect them, because it was just another chore for them and there was no downside to them from a cancelled order. Since they confirmed the order without the deposit, I doubt that this pretext will hold up.

They are just trying everything they can say to get you to back down. So don't bother to argue those points. You will get your car by either going up the line at Toyota - and you have great access here through the Prius Team - or making the dealer understand that you will make more trouble for them than it's worth. Whatever they argue, just tell them that all the other dealers are sticking to the agreement and they will have to do the same or suffer the consequences.

Good luck! Don't back down! We're here for you. :cheer2:
    Putnam Toyota is one of the dealers in the PriusChat Certified Dealer Program which included $500 off MSRP and "A no-hassle purchase process where our Certified Dealer has agreed to not require add-ons or warranty programs.." So I got the $500 off - and the no hassle.

If memory serves, there may have been one other poster during the order period who got $1000. Maybe that was you.

There's obviously a pattern here. Don't let them get away with it.

1 person likes this.
  17. tplus

tplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi All, I have a pre-order for the base plugin, also at Autowest Toyota, in Hayward. I received confirmation from Toyota via email that it has arrived at the US port on 04/20/12. It's good to know about the bogus fees in advance ... Has this been resolved? Any tips? I should hear from them in soon. Hope you're enjoying your plugin otherwise!

18. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know it is easy to say while living here in NYC but I lived in Sacramento for 5 years while stationed there at McClellan AFB and I would have driven from No. California to So. California just to buy from Dianne and avoid the BS I've read about from other dealerships.

I think when the Gen IV's come out some years from now, I see MANY California orders coming Dianne's way after people read these past threads on PC lol.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First off, IANAL

I doubt OP has a legal leg to stand on, but he probably has a good PR case

Why ? So far as I know, pre-orders can be cancelled by the customer without penalty. This suggests strongly (but does no prove) that a binding contract does not exist. Some contracts have cancellation clauses, but if the reason amounts to 'I changed me mind,' there is a penalty. Typical would be forfeiture of a deposit. No contract, no legal standing.

ok, how about false advertising ? '$1000 under msrp' does not preclude additional fees. People do not make a fuss over TTL, even though that is added on top of the car price.

OToH, this (presumably) deal was through the Toyota pre-order system, and I doubt Toyota wants its dealers to make a mockery of the 'negotiated price.'

Go through Erica.

20. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi tplus,

The issue is still not resolved. I talked to Toyota customer care this morning. I will post details in another post. Hopefully you will not have to go through this drama as I am raising big stink about it. If more ppl have issues, their reputation is going to get really affected and Toyota would give them a hard time. I would have given them something over my negotiated price if not for the threatening email yesterday. Now I am going to stick to my guns and pay only the negotiated price plus license/registration fee, CA sales tax + documentation fees.

Could you please tell me a few details?

• Did you get a quote from them approx $1000 off MSRP? (Mine was $1079 off MSRP (base plug-in. The only additional thing that I ordered was the mats - MSRP for the mats was 225 but the dealer invoice price is $140)
    • Did you pay them the deposit money of $500? Did you ever receive any communication from them requesting you to pay the $500 deposit? It is apparently on this basis that they were threatening to cancel my order.
    • I am assuming that your car came in on the "Texas Highway" that reached Benecia on the 21st. Mine came in on the Pyxis Leader which reached Benecia on the 16th.
    I will post updates here till the matter is resolved.