1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP - Hayward Toyota dealer demanding $595 over negotiated pre-order price

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by vine, Apr 22, 2012.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Bisco, not true. Every car has TDA on it. EVERY car other than corporate ordered fleet units for large orders/organizations.

2. ultraseven

ultraseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You should check with your credit card statement or checking account if they deducted $500. Is so that's proof #1 that they *cannot* cancel your order.

On the other hand, they totally messed up by just giving you a 1K off MSRP and now trying to back away from it as they can sell it for a lot more on the open market. That's classic car selling tactics as "threatening to cancel your order" which they *cannot* as you have never given confirmation to them that you intend to cancel it. Sucks for them, as they are bound to the original order contract.

Per the previous posters, contact the corporate Prius team directly and best of luck. At least there will be hundreds/thousands of folks in the Bay Area who will now avoid that dealer. They completely underestimate the power of Twitter, Facebook and the like.

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The TDA can be recorded as "cost of doing business" the next charge will for a "water management fee" AKA the cost for staff taking a piss.
    These dealerships have also charged for paper towels and multiple diagnostic fees for the same problem. Just like the "documentation fee" for filling out the paper work to registering/selling you the car.

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Diane, does TDA appear as a separate line item on the sticker price? I don't recall ever seeing it on any sticker, whether it's the manufacturer's sticker, or the dealer add-on sticker. Nor do I recall ever paying it.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I edited your quote of mine so what I found on the net is now in bold. I dont want to be quoted for something I did not say but rather something someone else did and I found on the net.

6. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am personally offended by this statement below.
    The TDA is an amount decided upon by many dealership voices/regions across the country - per region. It's really very nice that this is TRANSPARENT and not hidden like other manufacturer's do on their invoices.

That doesn't excuse Hayward's behavior, by the way. But, his posting what's truthful shouldn't raise your hackles. There are costs of doing business in every business. This is just one you can see clearly.

1 person likes this.
  7. ultraseven

ultraseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good find Bilofsky. I've just did a search and indeed it's 6th on Google ranking. In fact I'm just going to do my part to increase ranking by clicking on the link :D

I suggest all the other posters to do the same, as they can raise the ranking.

@vine - I've also noticed they have a Facebook page: AutoWest Toyota Scion of Hayward - Local Business - Hayward, CA - Wall | Facebook

Not that many ppl will visit but upon your discretion, this thread can be posted on their wall to raise a red flag. You can also post a negative review on Yelp and file a complaint with the BBB. The BBB route works best as I have complained about a business in the past and they tried to contact me ASAP and rectify things so I will update the complaint to resolved.

Also they aren't smart to send you a threatening email. You can actually post them on this board, on the main area and also on other popular Toyota/Scion boards like ft86.com (that's a scion fr-s board with a ton of traffic). At best, it will detract people from going to that dealer to buy *any* car.

Hope all works out with the Toyota corp route as well. Don't let them strong arm you.

8. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It doesn't show on your MSRP.
    Nor do all of the other fees we are billed from the company such as FUEL and such.
    These show on an invoice.

1 person likes this.
  9. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dianne - sorry you were offended - I was just trying to point out that I am offended buy dealers that invent plausible sounding charges at purchase time or during servicing. I should have objected to "air quality management fees" AKA the cost of running the exhaust fans.

10. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi bilofsky, Thanks a lot for all the moral support and suggestions. I am going to follow up on all of them. I am irritated enough at this point to raise a big stink about it after the email from guy at the dealership last night. I would have given something over the negotiated price if not for the email yesterday. I will now stand by my base and pay only what I have agreed to plus the mandatory fees (license + CA sales tax + documentation)

I spoke to Toyota Customer Care for more than an hour this morning. The lady that I spoke to took all the details from me. Initially she said that there was not much that she could do about it other than send it to the dealership and have them contact me in 1 to 3 business days. But then, she spoke to someone else that have been dealing with plug in prius pre-orders (I do not want to disclose name here - but it is not Erica here in the forum - "The Prius Team"). She said the other person would contact me within 1 business day.

I told them that I was concerned that the car was already at the dealership and they might be offering it to others and going on test drives and such. One person here mentioned that he got his car from Berkley already that came on the same ship. So very good chances that the car is already at the dealership and they just wanted to keep me away till Friday. I can't imagine it taking 10 day for a car to go from Benecia to Hayward with Toyota's logistics.

All,
    Those of you that did not put down the initial $500 deposit, could you please PM me? I know SanDiegoMom already said she did not pay this and she got her car.

I left Erica a public forum message - my private messages did not go through. I will try again. Does anybody have any other contact information for her?

Once again thank you all for the messages and support. I really appreciate it. I will post here till I get this thing gets resolved.

1 person likes this.
  11. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Dianne for your support. As you mentioned, the TDA only appears in the dealer invoice and not the MSRP. I am glad that you clarified that the TDA appears on every invoice - I did not buy their story yesterday that it was an unexpected charge. Thanks for confirming it.

Can I ask you a couple of things?

• Have you taken the $500 deposit for all your pre-orders? For those that you dealt with over email only, how did you take the deposit from them?
    • Is there any way to track where the vehicles are? Mine was on the ship Pyxis Leader that reached Benecia on the 16th. I really have a hard time beleiving that they will get my car only on the 26th. I beleive the reason they called me yesterday was because my car got to the dealership yesterday or day before. I spoke to Toyota Customer Care this morning and she said she does not have a way to track it nor could she figure out who to ask.
    • Also, do you know how I might be able to get in touch with Erica?
    Thank you once again. You have such a good reputation around here - I just wish you were in Northern CA.

12. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    tplus - Yes, you were on the Texas Highway, which actually offloaded between Saturday midnight and Sunday afternoon. The email was sent a couple of days prematurely.

The contract says "This price also DOES NOT include taxes, vehicle registration and certain additional fees. Customer agrees to contact Dealer and Dealer agrees to provide details regarding these additional fees." So you might want to get a jump and ask the dealer about the fees. Or you could lay low and see how vine makes out. If he wins, that will make two Hayward Toyota customers who beat them back.

Do you care to share whether you got a discount off MSRP?

FYI my dealer (Putnam Toyota in Burlingame) says that my car from the Texas Highway should get there between Wednesday and next Monday. He won't know until the truck pulls up that morning.

Good luck.

13. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm not in your region so your port's doings are not something I'm aware of. I don't have any of my PYXIS Leader cars yet but I do expect to soon.

I took deposits from everyone. How I handled the deposit checks was current and consistent with my dealership's deposit policy.

I can't track your car without its VIN#.

And, Erica's on vacation right now .. a well deserved one. There are people monitoring her PriusChat messages BUT frankly, that mailbox may be full by now. Your call to the 800-331-4331 number (I assume?) was the best way to get help.

Lastly, I was in Northern CA for many years... and while you may wish I was there, I don't!! (LOL) ... I am a Happy Southern CA transplant who loves Laguna .. I grew up in San Jose (Willow Glen) and worked in the Bay Area and a few other places around Concord and Marin County for over a decade..

1 person likes this.
  14. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Funny how only this one dealer finds it necessary to pass the TDA on to a pre-order customer. Seems that everyone else factored it into their agreed-upon price for the pre-order. It's not exactly like it's a surprise to the dealer. It seems obvious that this is a blatant attempt to back out of a "low-ball" offer and sell the car for a big markup.

My dealer took my deposit as a personal check and never cashed it. They returned it when we closed the sale. Apparently, non-refundable deposits on cars are not allowed under California law, making deposits rather pointless. (Edit: I think the only exception is if you sign an agreement to pay liquidation damages for a unique special order that the dealer may not be able to resell. But that certainly does not apply here!)

15. jim335

jim335 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The message in the last e-mail from Toyota before I picked up my pre-ordered Plug-in was as follows:

"Start getting charged up because your new Prius Plug-in is on its way to Darcars Toyota Of Frederick. The only thing you'll have to haggle about when you pick it up is … well, nothing.

Your dealer should be contacting you soon. If you'd like to contact them to get more information, please call (301) 696-6300.

This is our final e-mail regarding your new Prius Plug-in. Thank you for moving advanced technology forward with us."

note: I have underlined the important section.
    hope this helps.

16. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding was that the contract was valid and the price was pre-determined at time of ordering. If Hayward signed up online for the price you have in your contract, that's it... Shame they didn't factor their costs into their pricing. Learn the lesson and move on...

I've heard of TDA before, but as I've told the dealers I've negotiated with in the past (not the PiP) that their cost structure is their business... some dealers have higher electric bills too. All I care about is what price they will sell the car for. And if it's lower than their competitors' offers, they'll win the business. Plain and simple.

If TDA is an invoice issue for them, that's fine, but they shouldn't be able to add it on now as a fee to you. The dealer I bought with specifically wouldn't agree to a price until they got the invoice information from Toyota (which they did, prior to ordering day) so it's completely unbelievable that Hayward didn't have this then too. And it's completely unbelievable that for the first time, in all the years of doing business, that they suddenly forgot about a fee that's added to the invoices of ALL of the cars they sell.

Smells terrible, and they should be made aware of how quickly they're ruining their online reputation. They have a chance to make this right, but that window is closing fast...

Lastly, read every word of the contract... I'm pretty sure they can't cancel the order for a certain period of time. Just read every word and keep on down the path you're on with Toyota... best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  17. vine

vine New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Dianne. I did get a message back from another member of the "Prius team" - so I am good for now. And yes, I did call the 800-331-4331 number.

I do not have the VIN#. I will check with Toyota if they know.

Just curious how you let your customers know that a deposit is required or did everyone know? I never got anything from the dealership about a $500 deposit. You don't have to reply this thread- but can just PM me.

18. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK people, I'm back and Natalya has been doing a great job holding down the PM mailbox. We've received the message and just got through the thread, please give us a little time to investigate and try to help out.

Thanks for your patience,
    Erica Gartsbeyn
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota USA

5 people like this.
  19. 2priusfam

2priusfam New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We picked ours up in virginia and were able to negotiate a night in a hotel, plane tickets and rides from airport to airport/hotal/dealer. worth about $500

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Erica, and Natalya :). Welcome back! ;)