1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Injured

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wick1ert, Apr 20, 2013.

1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As some people know, I traded my 2010 P3 for a 2013 PIP last month due to the incentives. Well, yesterday someone rear-ended me and launched me into the vehicle in front of me - ok, launched may be a little stretch but it sounds more dramatic. So, I'm hoping they total the vehicle, and just let me go shopping again. I walked away without any broken bones, injured limbs, lacerations, etc. As far as I'm concerned, she did her job very well, even if everything did bring up some long lost emotions of the same type of accident that took my mom's life 8 years ago.

In an attempt to get a head start on a potential shopping trip (which, in NJ, Toyota is still running the same incentives as last month), I wanted to get some opinions of members here. I'm looking into the Ford C-Max Energi vs another PIP. Any members here with both? Driven both? Have any opinions? As F8L knows, I was still on my original tank of fuel, with 143 MPG on the HSI for the tank. I do a lot of trips around town, under 5 miles each way. Work allows me to plug in with the standard 120v outlets in the parking garage. However, there's also a few trips of 7-10 miles each way, that required me strategizing (is that a word?) when to use EV vs HV in the PIP to maximize each method during its most efficient uses. Any thoughts? Pros/Cons of each?

IMAG0121.jpg IMAG0122.jpg

2. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's really painful to see, and one of my biggest fears. Glad to hear you made it out ok tho!

I think you have more storage space in the PiP, so personally, I would stick with the PiP, not to mention, the platform has been around much longer, which is better for repair/modification purposes, all IMO of course.

If I were to start all over again, I would be looking at all electric now.

babybird and wick1ert like this.
  3. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks! If I were to go pure EV, I'd go Tesla but that's so far out of my price range it's not an option.

Storage space isn't a huge issue. At most, it's usually once a year if there's ever more than 2 people in the car or any substantial luggage. Any time that I did load my regular Prius up in the trunk was hauling bags of wood pellets to the house this winter. However, I'd probably get a couple pallets for next winter and just pay for delivery.

I agree with the reputation that Toyota has and, IMO, perfected with the design and reliability.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouchie! sorry dude, glad you're okay! all the best, hope they total it for you.(y)

5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sad to see but glad ur ok. Not sure if that's enough damage to consider a total loss......but I could be wrong.

With that being said.....I would look at a Volt over a C-Max. I've never been a fan of Ford's reliability.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Sean. If for some reason they total it I would look at a Volt. It's more fun to drive and has good range. Plus I think they look a lot nicer. The incentives are huge too. I think they are going for $5000 dealer cash bonus plus your tax and state incentives. That's about $15k off MSRP!

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I've driven a Volt a few miles. I liked the drive, but wasn't all that comfortable in it and it was smaller. I couldn't even fit in the back seat without sitting diagonally. I also like the functionality that a hatch gives, so it sorta narrowed down to these two for me. Unless of course, someone wants to charity about $50k to me so I can go get that Tesla :D

I'm not sure about the damage. Those were the only pics I could safely get, but I couldn't open the driver door, either. It'll probably depend if there was any frame issues or hybrid component issues. I'll find out soon enough, but figured I'd maximize my time and get a head start - this Chevy Sonic (i think) rental is driving me nuts lol. It won't accept my charger cable, engine runs at lights, keeps doing this weird shifting thing as I drive......I feel confused, more so than I normally am lol.

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I were to buy another car again, I wouldn't get another PiP either. Not because it isn't a great car but that I love technology and I love cars. It's a free opportunity to try something different. I can't afford a Tesla either.

I wouldn't touch the C-Max Energi until Ford acknowledges their fuel economy discrepancy. It's deceptive and I won't support it.

I'd probably get a Volt. I thought it is a hatchback also? I initially turned it down because it only offered 4 seats to the PiP's 5. Now I'm finding very few takers to straddle the middle with 2 child seats in the back so it may be a moot point.

The RAV4 EV is also interesting with its Tesla power train and 140 mile range. No one's buying so Toyota has discounted it to PiP base prices. I'm currently enamored by the Fiat 500e. It's a good looking little car. And I'm no longer concerned about its 87 mile range because I've already convinced my work place to allow me to charge. Unfortunately, those are CA only models.

sdtundra likes this.
  9. Francos

Francos Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glad you are safe. I do not think that the chance of total loss is high. The car is brand new. The cost is high. The loss is not likely over 15K judging by the pictures.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad the car did it's job of keeping you safe. I agree with others, unless something major is destroyed, it doesn't look like it's going to be totalled. Let us know what the insurance company decides.

11. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The damage doesn't look too bad, I'm sure it will be rebuilt.

12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From the outside it doesn't look like enough to total the car, but you are right to wonder about frame damage. When it comes to deciding whether or not to total a car, it may depend on the insurers involved. If Party 1's (the guy who hit you) insurance isn't playing nice, you can ask your insurer to handle the claim, since they will be at least somewhat involved with the owner of the car you hit until Party 1's insurer steps up to the plate. Make sure that if the car is repaired, the repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own the car. Here in California, body shops partner with insurance companies to give such guarantees.
    I was surprised recently when my sister in Michigan, insured by State Farm, was told they would pay to fix her minivan, even though the cost of repairs was within a few hundred dollars of Kelly Bluebook's wholesale value. I was under the impression that if repairs cost 80% or more of the value, insurers typically called it a total loss.

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Off topic, but here goes:

I lived in Maryland for 11 years but never figured out what that strange PC symbol stands for on the Delaware plates.

Is it for utility vehicles (of a sort) that are for personal use? My best guess.

14. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had messaged my brother about looking at getting a second Prius a few days ago and then my wife spilled the beans that I am looking at the plug-in. He then suggested checking out the Cmax Entergi. Here are my two replies to him.

"Having visited you in Houston, I can understand your range concern.Most of my driving is rather short. It is only 4 miles to work, and less to shopping and church. Apparently because of the larger battery the plug-in gets slightly better mileage when running in hybrid mode. The Volt drops to about 35-37 MPG when it goes into range extended mode. So after about 60 miles the plug-in Prius is again more efficient compared to the Volt."

"After a quick look at the Ford and some review sites have not altered my mind. The Ford site indicates much better gas mileage than the plug-in Prius, but the difference is in the details. As I recall the EPA test is a city cycle followed by a highway cycle of about 12 miles each. So by the time the "PIP' gets to the highway cycle it is running in a normal Prius hybrid mode. The Cmax would last all but the last few miles of the highway cycle and shows a good sized drop in MPG. According the the reviews the Cmax Energi's hybrid mode gas mileage is about 44 MPG. This means that what I said about the Volt would also apply to the Cmax. It is just that the breakeven point where the Prius becomes more efficient will be different."

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good advice.

16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe for lighter-weight pleasure/commercial vehicles ?

17. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    What does PC mean on some Delaware state license plates

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, but I think they included hatchbacks, etc as being similar to small station wagons.

20. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's like a whole 'nother country...

But not really :)