1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP is perfect vehicle for my new side job

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by markabele, Jun 4, 2014.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input (nothing I didn't know). It's a good thing no one is forcing you to do it then, right? ;)

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems wrong, or possibly just out of date.
    Uber Blog – Eliminating Ridesharing Insurance Ambiguity

markabele likes this.
  3. ELYKB

ELYKB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So if you give a ride to a friend and he pay for the gas , you are not covered either.

markabele likes this.
  4. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pizza and Chinese delivery are cargo too. And what about sale reps and carpools ? Cancel them I say cancel them all!

markabele likes this.
  5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Questions answered best by individual insurers, but in California there exists a "guest law" which basically says you are protected from being sued by friends/carpoolers unless they can prove gross negligence. Sharing expenses is not driving for hire. Zythryn, your link to the blog did show an update following the articles I read (perhaps because of them) published in the SF newspapers in February. Markabele, you are correct, nobody is forced to take the work. I'm just wary of the pitfalls having to do with insurance. As I previously mentioned, the chauffeuring I do is in the client's vehicle, covered by the client's insurance. I'm named as an operator for one of my clients, although that is not necessary.

6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And as a professional driver, you have a Class B Driver's License with a passenger endorsement? How does it work for Uber, since I assume that these drivers are not getting commercial licenses?? Our kids' school had to use volunteer parents to ferry kids to field trips, since if the teachers drove the school vans, that would be considered driving for hire, requiring a commercial license.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    UberX drivers (their economy level) do not require commercial licenses.
    An Uber Black driver (their luxury/limo service) does require a limo license, as well as commercial insurance.

8. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a California regular Class C license, which is all that is required to work as a chauffeur driving vehicles designed to carry no more than 10 passengers, including the driver. Rules may be different in other states, of course. I had my first private driving job at age 17, back when Cadillac made their own 9 passenger limousines, although they called them 7 passenger. I eventually became a corporate executive chauffeur/security driver for 32 years before retiring to the part time driving I now do. At no time have I had to have a commercial license.

#68 rogerv, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    CharlesH likes this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Roger, now it makes a little more sense why you are against Lyft and Uber.

10. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I'm not against them- I'm just suggesting caution for those signing up. I'm mostly retired, and can still work as much as I want through a driver-only service in addition to my private clients. Admittedly, I'm VERY fussy about my cars, so I wouldn't want the wear and tear that I expect will be visited upon the cars in service to these companies. :p

11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't mind the wear and tear when I'm making much more than the cost is to me.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but isn't it a bit embarrassing if you pick up passengers from the airport and you don't know where the hotel is located?

I have a lot of respect for the hackney-carriage drivers as they have to pass that grueling knowledge test and we know how London roads are laid out!

This service in parts Canada will require a different driver's licence (Class 4 or similar for taxi/limousine or vehicle for hire) than the one most people have and may require additional training and/or road tests. It appears that Ontario doesn't differentiate between private vehicle and taxi but does differentiate between bus and private vehicle and is different [ 10 persons or more] than other provinces [> 15 passengers] in its definition of a bus.

Just FYI if anyone's thinking about it in Canada. Check your local ministry of transportation/licensing bureau for more info.

13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe if I was a limo or cab driver. But remember, Lyft and UberX drivers are just other people that have cars that can give you a ride. I feel not at all embarrassed if I don't know where something is.

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto.
    To add though, GPS has yet to fail me (although I am not in London).
    Most riders get a real kick out of me simply telling the car to "navigate to Grumpy's bar in Roseville" and have the navigation take us right there.
    In addition, drivers get rated by riders. If my rating drops too low I am out.

The price for UberX in Minneapolis is less than a taxi, and every single rider that has commented on UBER has said they absolutely love it and will never use a taxi again.

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. Taxi service is unbelievably horrid in Lincoln. When you call for a cab it can take up to an hour or two and that is if they even show up after they promised they would.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    One time, when I was in Manhattan, I hailed the only cab driver that didn't know where Madison Square Garden was.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand. I was referring to a taxi or limo driver.

18. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's because it isn't a square and it isn't a garden.

Mike

#78 3PriusMike, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  19. Gruvin2

Gruvin2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I signed up for Lyft and I meet my Mentor Saturday. I like the idea of making extra cash when I want to.

markabele likes this.
  20. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have looked at all the Lyft online info but I'm not sure of this. How are drivers and passengers assigned to each other? Is it random first come first served as in several drivers are given the pickup option and the first to respond gets the job? Is there some smartphone location data being used to assign the nearest Lyfts? Looking at the quite large Albuquerque service area. It would be a money losing deal to have to go 20 or 25 miles from Rio Rancho (NW mesa) across the valley (city of Albu.) thru a mountain pass to the east side of the Sandia for a $4.00 (net)minimum Lyft over there and then back into town