1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP long term storage

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Brooke K, Jan 27, 2013.

1. LakeMichBoatGuy

LakeMichBoatGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have a 2013 Plug In base, white, 60k. Super car, love it. It will be stored in the garage (not driven) for approx 2 months during March-April in Michigan, although we haven't had much of a winter here (65 degrees today, and forecast to remain mild). We never even had to put on the Nokians this winter. Anyway, we are debating how to prepare it for storage, and have reviewed the info on this site.

Just got the 60k maintenance at the dealer yesterday: oil change, engine air filter, cabin filter, tire rotation, inspection...and they poured something in the gas tank without me knowing in advance (Toyota fuel system cleaner/treatment?).

For sure I was planning to:

Car Wash
    Max tire PSI
    Drain the EV battery to 0
    Full tank of quality gas (some of this Toyota additive from the 60k maint. will likely remain)

We could have someone drive it, but don't like the risk vs reward during winter, and us living at the top of a steep hill that can get slippery. So, that's out.

I have used battery tenders in the past, to maintain seasonal cars...while we are home (not away). But since we live in a historic area, where the power is more prone to go out, repeatedly, or brownout, I'm again not liking the risk to reward for only a 2 month period.

...Not sure about the following...

1. Fuel Stabilizer for 2 months?

2. My Toyota service advisor, who I do like and trust in general (although I don't think he is a Prius/PIP fanatic), advised to pull a certain fuse. I think it cuts off some of the trickle/phantom charge loss. It stops the vehicle from searching for key fobs, etc.

3. Some people say to disconnect the battery, which I have never done with this PIP.

4. We don't lock the car in the garage, in general. I'm guessing that locking it sets an alarm/security. Not sure about locking or leaving unlocked.

5. Also, it's my understanding is that: IF the EV battery is empty - or less than fully charged anyway - plugging in a PIP also charges the 12v battery, while the EV battery is charging. So, if our 12v discharges some in 2 months, when it gets plugged back in to recharge the EV battery, the 12v will get somewhat of a recharge (although I have no facts or charge rate about this).

Your thoughts on the above, and any other recommendations to consider? My gut says, if I'm not sure, less is more, as these are fairly robust vehicles. And my wife may have to return sooner than me, and be able to use the car without a lot of hassle.

Thanks very much.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we're gone for 5 weeks. car in unheated garage, i pumped up the tires and ran the battery down to hybrid level.
    two months, i would disconnect the battery or put a maintainer on it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 months ... Do nothing but park it. When ur back, plug it in. When charged, drive it. Don't over think it.

4. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    I was thinking that we have a battery charger for the 12v built in to the pip, I would run the big battery down to hybrid level then pull the orange safety plug and leave it plugged in. Please correct me if I am wrong on this-
    it has been known :rolleyes:

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip does not keep either battery topped up. once it has charged the hybrid battery, it will no longer turn on again until you pull the plug and replug it in.

as for the technical side, the evse powers the internal battery charger. the hybrid battery charges the 12v battery whilst it is being charged. when the charge is done, nothing more happens, even as both batteries start to lose charge.

unplugging the orange safety interlock would disconnect the whole shootin' match, and nothing would happen when you plug in the evse.

the only way to keep the 12v topped up is a maintainer, or disconnect the negative cable.

6. SoPo

SoPo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How did that 8 month storage of your PIP go? I'll be storing mine