1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP Lower Rocker Moldings - Self Install

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by jpaque, May 7, 2012.

1. jpaque

jpaque New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I ordered the nice-looking lower rocker moldings from the PC shop. They came well packed in a box with some pretty basic instructions. I looked all around at the other PC boards, and I didn’t find anyone who had posted step-by-step instructions on how to install. And since I had never done anything like this before, I was nervous. But I wasn’t about to give $100 to my local dealer for something that *appeared* so simple. So I decided to do it myself. I took a few pics along the way, and wanted to post here to hopefully give others the courage to do the same.

Here’s a pic of one of the panels in the plastic wrap. Nice, huh?

IMG_0787.jpg

So here are the tools/supplies I used:
    - Soap and water -- to clean the surface
    - Rubbing alcohol (50%) -- to prepare the surface
    - Two clamps
    - Small furniture pads (to put on the clamps)
    - A steady hand...

First I cleaned the car with soap and water. Then I cleaned the surface area with isopropyl alcohol (50%). The instructions say you can use 3M Prep Solvent - 70 as well, but I couldn’t find any of that locally.

I started with the driver’s side front piece. Before I started peeling any of the paper backing off, I cleaned it with the rubbing alcohol, so it wouldn’t transfer any dirt to the car surface.

IMG_0788.jpg

Then I prepared the two clamps by sticking on small furniture pads so it wouldn’t scratch the surface of the molding.

IMG_0781.jpg

Then I opened the door and used the clamps to hold the piece of molding in place. This allowed me to make slight adjustments to the position of the molding. Once it was perfectly in place, I started peeling off the paper backing, starting with the yellow “starter helper.â€

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

One thing to note-- those little blue “bridge†pieces you see in the picture? I think those are *supposed* to allow you to pull the paper backing all off in one motion. But unfortunately it didn’t work that way with me. The bridge piece would come off and then I would have to use my fingernail to start the new piece...not so easy. Once I had a few inches of the backing off, and I made sure everything was still lined up, I pressed the front of the molding into place.

IMG_0783.jpg

Now, I just worked my toward the back, carefully pulling off the paper backing and removing the clamps when I got to them. Every few inches, I would again check to make sure alignment was perfect, then press more of the molding into place.

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

Then I continued with the rest of the pieces, same method. Although I only needed to use one clamp for the smaller back-door pieces.

IMG_0786.jpg

I love the look of the car now, the molding is relatively cheap ($165) and it makes the car stand out from the crowd. Don’t be afraid, you can do it yourself!

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm terrified that I'd install them and they'd either be crooked, or the doors wouldn't open properly. But they look really nice.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I like it......

4. jpaque

jpaque New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The beauty is that you can use the bottom edge of the door as a guide, so it would be hard to make it crooked. And the pieces fit so there are a couple mm of clearance on every side, so no worries about the door clearance. Don't be afraid!

1 person likes this.
  5. C56spd

C56spd New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the write up, I was going to put my moldings on today but ran out of time.

Wish I had read install tips on the rear bumper appliqué before I screwed it up!

6. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice write up.

If there's anyone out there who is looking to buy PiP lower rocker moldings, I have four extra sets that I'm selling. PM me for details. I'm selling for cheaper than you can get anywhere else.

7. gbrown

gbrown New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Damn! I just ordered some at the priuschat store!

8. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doh!

Not to worry, the PriusChat shop has a really good prices and really good service. I just came up on a few spares that I was unloading on the cheap.

9. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2 sold, 2 remaining.

10. epoints

epoints Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh Man,.... I should have waited for your instruction. I was too lazy to find out the proper instruction - so I did not use the alcohol wipe. Part of the side molding wasn't sticking to the panel.

Is there a way to fix this? :frusty:

11. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually you're supposed to use that 3M Solution 70 stuff, but wiping down with alcohol would be the next best option. And I guess if your car is waxed, you're supposed to clean off the area with Dawn first.

If the adhesive strip is ruined, I don't know if there's a good fix (maybe some double sided tape or something like that - but even that might not be strong enough).

12. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3M's strongest double-sided tape is called VHB (very high bond). Its used for high-strength applications (like holding signage on the side of trucks/trailers and holding glass to buildings, its no joke). There are different grades of VHB, but that is the stuff you would want to look for. Although they don't label it as such, the 3M automotive double-sided tape that is on the thin side and gray with the red backing looks like it is some form of VHB, so I would try that.

There are some sellers on eBay that sell smaller rolls/lengths of VHB if you want to go that route.

13. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just realized there is a piece of clear door guard at the molding area. Should I peel that out before I install the molding. Will the paint got peel off too with the clear door guard? Anyone knows? Thanks.

14. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm... If it comes off, I would probably remove it.

15. gbrown

gbrown New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    heat that clear film a bit with hairdryer then remove. paint wont come off.

16. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the tips.

17. Randyneely

Randyneely Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

$ ???? Thanks. Randy

18. jpaque

jpaque New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, I neglected to mention that part. I removed those two clear door guards before starting. I didn't heat it up or anything, just peeled it right off.

19. CapnRon

CapnRon Toyota Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My local Toyota dealer installed my mouldings. They installed right over the door guards.

So far, so good. They installed for free. They said I'd already paid $44,000+ for the car. :)

20. FUUFNF

FUUFNF Forum Lurker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I sent you a PM with the price.