1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Mileage deterioration

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SouthBayEcoBoy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Dr Surfdog

Dr Surfdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I seem to be having a similar issue as mentioned in this forum and am wondering if it's a software (battery management) issue, or a charging problem with the battery. I've had my PIP for about 2 1/2 months with about 2.5K miles now. The first 2 months the estimated range fluctuated between 11.2 and 12.2. Once in a while it would randomly display 12.8. Lately, it's been going to 10.9 or 10.8. I use chargepoint at work and it used to take in a bit more than 3 KWH of power during charging. Now it's taking in <2.9 KWH. Commute is the same, about 18 miles to work mostly freeway. HV mode is kicking in a couple of miles earlier than it used to a month or two ago, same speed, same driving habits, same commute, so I know my range is degrading a little. I'm in so cal so weather isn't an issue either.

anyone having similar experiences? Again, given that it would randomly pop back up to 12.8 miles a month or two ago, I'm wondering if this is some sort of battery management software issue. The car seems too new to have the battery degrading already. btw, i'm also generally careful when i charge and make full use of the timer when possible so the car rarely sits for more than a few hours when it's fully charged.

Any insights are appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the best way to test this is to take an all ev drive that you can repeat at anytime. see how many miles you do vs the ev range estimator. then, you can do this same drive at anytime in the future to compare. no one here has ever had an issue with thier car, it's always been the perception of the range indicator and charging stats. in the end, it's been a non issue.

3. kaiotes

kaiotes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    surprisingly my estimated range has now gone back up to mid-high 12s. no big changes to temp or driving conditions

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Traffic was good?

5. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    SoCal weather certainly does change, even if the changes are not as dramatic as in other parts of the country. I'm sure your range will go back up as we approach summer.