1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Mileage deterioration

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SouthBayEcoBoy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the plan, they should be able to build the Model X there and some quantity of the next gen sedan as well before they need another assembly/manufacturing plant.

2. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine hit 14.2 today. I am getting about 8 more actual miles than that.

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's so cool! I'm happy just to get the estimated EV miles, and sometimes an extra mile or two.

4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow! Thats 30% better than I have ever gotten, Great Job! :)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're getting 22 miles pure ev?

6. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think it depends on how you define "pure EV". I outlined it on another thread, but here's the short version:

I have a 60.2 mile daily commute R/T with no charge in-between. I can usually get 12 miles of EV in one direction and still have about between 7-9 miles of EV range left. So I then get up to 10 actual EV miles from about 7-9 miles of estimated EV range on the way home).

Note that this includes HV for most of the 35-40 miles that are driven at freeway speed, with EV regeneration on a few downhills. However, if I define pure EV as the miles I travel in EV mode, then yes, I can regularly get 22 miles out of it.

If you want to define pure EV as starting up in EV and never appealing to HV, the most I've ever been able to travel was 16.3 EV miles. I've done that trip a few times, but 16.3 was the best (range was 13.5-16.3). However, that trip also includes some decent regen runs - and does not include a return (where the return uphill would eat up the EV range)

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, then if I understand correctly, you are manually switching to HV for the freeway? That is what I do, but have not attempted to track any low speed EV miles when the light comes on occasionally. But are you saying the 12 miles of EV you get are in EV mode before switching over to HV? I live only two miles from the freeway, so I switch to HV in order to save the estimated EV for surface streets. Maybe I'm going about it wrong, and could benefit by running down the saved EV and building it back up using HV?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks bfd, i get it now. i would define pure ev as starting with a full charge and a cold ice. driving as far as possible until the charge runs out and the ice never comes on until then. but that's just me. being a flatlander, i don't have the opportunity to do what you're doing swithching back and forth.

9. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 Not a flatlander, but no steep hills for regen to work well.

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    EV miles in HV mode don't add to the total EV miles shown on the EV ratio screen.
    Btw, I figured out why driving on the freeway "increases" your EV range. When you drive on the freeway above 62, the battery works in assist mode, and as a result, lasts longer (I.e. if you drive on a full charge at 60 mph, you'll get 8 miles (and 999 mpg), but if you drive 65 mph, because the ice is providing the primary motive power, you'll get 16 miles (and 150 mpg?)). Which shows you why this number is so stupid.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    went out three times in ev mode today. this morning, on the way to church, we went 9 miles. then to the dump after recharging, 8 miles. then to lowes after another charge, range was up to 12.6 and i went 14 with .8 still left when i got home. amazing what 50 degrees and daylite saving time will do!

retired4999 likes this.
  12. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lensovet,
    Thanks for your explanation. However, I seem to get the same result whether I travel at my usual 58 mph or occasionally between 65 and 70 in the carpool lane. This is usually in HV mode, which I tend to use on the freeway.
    Bottom line for me is the fantastic mpg, regardless of how the old computer manages it.:D

lensovet likes this.
  13. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I make 7-8 miles initially. That's from home to freeway to the first steep on-ramp at a freeway junction about 8.3 miles away. Most mornings I can make almost all 8.3 miles just as I get to 10 miles on the EV range meter (so if I start at 14.1, I've only 'burned' 4EV miles in 8 actual miles.) I have to ignore the passing cars, since I can't exceed 62mph. But since it's usually dark, I don't have to look at the drivers as they pass - ha ha. As I engage HV when I'm at 10.0 miles EV range, the ICE fires up. That burns down about 1.5 miles of EV range during the on ramp's uphill, even though the engine is now on, but that range comes back quickly within the next 5-8 miles.

I eventually make it from about 750ft to sea level during this leg of the drive. There are two more fairly long downhills that regenerate the battery back up to nearly 12EV miles by the time I get off the freeway (and even that offramp is something I can squeeze for extra range because of the way it's built - it is an "exit only" lane, so the through traffic doesn't care that I'm slowing down gradually as I go downhill). Since I work about 4.5 miles from the freeway, it's always EV the rest of the trip. That generally leaves me with between 7-9EV miles. Although the return trip is obviously uphill all the way, I have been steadily increasing the mpgs on that trip by using EV to regenerate on two downhills.

I think something that's helped increase range that I did not do before was to start regenerating in EV mode when going downhill rather than leaving it entirely in HV for the freeway part of my trip. Someone else may be able to explain why this works better than just staying in HV to regenerate, but it does.

Anyway, just another form of hypermiling. My last few tanks have been over 75mpg using this method, so the 67.1 lifetime average is climbing. Besides the change in driving behavior, the weather has also been warming up. Most mornings are now in the 55 degree area rather than the 42-45 degree range it's been from Nov-Feb. I know, that's summer weather for the east coasters.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ran over to the accountant's office, so I took a route where it would all be EV. It was 10.7 miles round trip. I started with 10.1 EV and finished with .7 left. For me, the EV mileage indicator is a non-issue. :D

lensovet likes this.
  15. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bfd.
    I use EV mode on long downhill runs on the freeway too. It seems to me that it regens better that way, but others here have said that there is no difference between EV and HV for purposes of regen. As I posted, mostly I let the computer decide, other than those downhills just mentioned. Thanks for explaining how you get the 22 EV miles on your commute.

16. SouthBayEcoBoy

SouthBayEcoBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ouch. Easy does it people, I mean you no harm. Dealing with a bit of repressed anger, are we??

Here is the latest update after Toyota reset the system:

I'm pleased to report I'm consistently getting 11+ Mile EV range after charging overnight. Break out the champagne, the car is working as it is supposed to (for now, at least).

Was it a bug in the system that required a reset?

Is it a result of the warming temperatures of Spring in California?

Or is it just that the "guess o meter" (nice term, Ken) that has yet to fully discount my ridiculously conservative driving style?

We shall see.

As for other comments that have been made recently, I don't see any reason why they can't simply make this gauge read, in pseudo real-time, what kind of range you have available based on how you are currently driving. To me there are WAY too many energy displays in the system, and few of them are actually very useful. Who cares about energy usage in the last 5 minutes?

I care about three things:

1. How many miles I can drive under electric power only.

2. What my current gas mileage is under hybrid power.

3. What kind of long term mileage I'm getting.

Regardless of the tax breaks, this is an expensive car (you can buy a nice Lexus for the amount of cash) and there is a huge weight and storage penalty to be paid for carrying around the EV battery, so I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting that the car will deliver an 11 miles of electric range. It's what has been printed, it is what I have been told by the sales people, and the car should be capable of that mileage for which it has supposedly been designed. If the vehicle is actually only capable 8 or 9 miles of EV range, I wouldn't have bought it, period.

As for your comment about "nothing positive" coming from this post: There actually has been a lot of constructive comments that people have made, and I've learned alot about the behavior of the system that could NOT be found in any manuals, so I really appreciate people taking the time to respond to this post and educate me. The comments about aftermarket gauges is particularly interesting, and I'm pleased that so many people are so into what this technology offers. As for those who say "read the FAQ and bugger off" well, its not exactly like I'm some troll, and I think everyone who owns a PIP should be willing to share their experience.

So... unless the mileage drops precipitously over the next few weeks, I'll be on my merry way, moseying around Silicon Valley getting the 11 miles range I'm supposed to.

17. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it a result of the warming temperatures of Spring in California?

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/pip-mileage-deterioration.123586/page-4#ixzz2OaqVdaEi

Could be, I was getting a daily reading of about 15.3-16.0 last summer then winter started ,60 degrees f it went down, then 50 degrees went down some more, then 40 degrees down some more than 30, 20, 10, and all the way down to -20 below. Now that summer is coming back I have went from 9.6 EV range, slowly back up to today at 40 degrees it was 12.1 EV range. I expect it to go up to last summers stats of about 16.0 EV! Give me summer temps. of 80 dgrees! So hang in there it will get better. :)

18. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It isn't as simple as you seem to think.
    Should the range estimate be based on how you are driving at the moment?
    If you are starting from a stop going uphill, that may give you an AEV range of 3 miles. Cruising along the road and take your foot off the accelerator? Boom! AEV range goes up to 80 miles.

I think an estimate based off of your typical commute is a good solution. I think having the kWh left is also a good solution. But an instant estimate has limited uses in my opinion.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's really nice when people share their criteria for purchase. That's good to know.

Numbers 2 and 3 weren't quantified though. What were your expectations?

As for number 1, we hope you'll report status to us later. EV range will vary. That's just part of owning a plug-in vehicle. Having more than just a single instance to refer back to is beneficial to everyone.

My typical drive in the about 8 to 9 miles of EV in the winter and about 12 to 15 miles in the summer. The highest I've ever seen was 17.5 miles.

20. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably not.

Probably...and you have a bit more driving experience and what to be aware of.

Because it depends a LOT of what you were just doing. Just going over a freeway overpass can consume 0.5 to 1 mile of range. So from a stop to the 25 foot peak it would probably report that you can just go 2 or 3 miles. Going down the other side it would say you can go from SJ to SF. So what you need is really a few minutes of averaging...that is what the 1 min and 5 min histograms are for. Admitedly they don't present the info in the most useful way.

I think you get all that. You've never reported (that I recall) if you actually have measured how far you actually go in EV only...not the number it says after you are fully charged. The fully charged miles remaining IS the car's conservative estimate for you and your past driving history with the slight modification of adjusting for the ventilation system.

You get #2 in many ways. You get your two trip odometer readings that give mpg, you get an instantaneous next to the speedometer, you get your 1 min or 5 min histograms for 15 or 30 min in two places. Plus you get the two EV drivign ratio screens.

You get #3 from the above...you get to control when you reset all these trip odometers.

The extra weight is less than ~75 lbs for the battery. But I agree I would want the 11 miles. I'm getting about 13.5 (as indicated this week) but I measure about 1 mile more than that. But I would never believe a car salesperson on a detail like this.

I think the context is that this is about the 10th such thread on this board. I can guarantee you that in a week or two another one will start, and if you stick around you will be answering some of the questions.

Mike

lensovet and Ken Blake like this.