1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Mileage deterioration

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SouthBayEcoBoy, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my ev range was up to 12.8 today! of course, that has nothing to do with anything, i might just reset it.:cool:

lensovet likes this.
  2. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We had fog this morning, so I had to clear the inside of the windshield after about a mile. That popped on the ICE and as a result, today's mileage was down about 3.5 mpg. At least the cold weather kept the fog away. I may need to get some fogX for the windshield if this keeps up :ROFLMAO:

3. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You Kill ME!:ROFLMAO: But just so you know mine was that also this morning (12.8). :eek:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    kindred spirits.:)

5. morrison94

morrison94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

6. morrison94

morrison94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ????????????????????????????????

lensovet likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on a lighter note, my ev range was up to 13.0 today.(y)

lensovet likes this.
  10. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. cheallen

cheallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you guys checking the true EV mileage you get or just believing what the screen predicts you are going to get? I get a true 15-16 miles every day by reading the odometer mileage while the green EV symbol is showing even though the screen predicts ca. 10.5. The screen prediction goes down from 10.5 to zero and then the green EV symbol goes out BUT the odometer mileage has gone up by 15-16 miles in the same period without the green EV symbol ever even blinking.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who cares what the odometer says? toyota claims 11 miles of ev and if the ev range is less than that, someone's got to pay!

lensovet likes this.
  15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but what difference would it make? You still the same amount of electricity boosting MPG whether the engine is running or not.

Yesterday, both recharges said 11.4 miles for the EV estimate. 26 miles total were measured.

Today, both recharges said 11.5 miles for the EV estimate. 19 miles total were measured.

The estimate clearly just gives a ballpark estimate. The evidence is quite overwhelming that it changes over time too... as many of us have witnessed firsthand recently as winter melts away.

16. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When new, my PIP showed 13.1 miles for EV with the battery fully charged. It has slowly been going up and after 350 miles with no stops at the gas station (tank still 1/2 full) it now reads 14.1 miles for EV when fully charged. Should I complain to Toyota about their misleading information :) ?

While operating in EV before the ICE comes on the total of miles traveled and "EV miles" left is typically 14 miles or more. Do you suppose that's why the predicted EV miles are so high on a full charge? Of course it is. Living on a hill and taking short trips is really good for EV miles. I usually go into HV for going uphill to return home where the ICE is more efficient than using electricity.

17. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think what we're observing is a bit of a difference in driving technique from earlier versions of Prius. Certainly hypermile techniques still work, but there are some unique features that the PiP's larger battery can support. So it's good to continue the discussion about actual vs predicted EV range because as we have more data points, it's easier to predict when some of these "failures" in the estimates might occur. We knew going into the cold season that there would be a difference, now we have some observations and data about just how much of a difference.

I begin to wonder whether we'll see a predictable pattern of changes between winter/summer and spring/fall where winter and summer EV estimates are depressed because of operating temperature extremes, and spring/fall EV estimates are more stable because of more moderate ambient temps. Of course, I'm jumping right to speculating that temperature is the key variable. Other differences may be attributable to road surface friction - wet/snowy surfaces, comfort features like heat/seat heating, safety features like lights (and duration of use in winter vs summer).

What may seem like random deteriorations of EV estimated mileage to some may eventually become predictable with bigger data.

18. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cold season, what cold season? We keep that up in the mountains with the snow where it belongs.

19. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused: Recently, I'm getting projected EV ranges of 9.8, 9.6, and 9.4 after full charges. Haven't seen 10 miles projected in a month. My commute one way is 9.8 miles. I arrive at work or home with .4, to .1 remaining. I'll check it this morning, being a little more aggressive to see if I exceed EV capacity or if I have more EV juice left than what's showing.

20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All winter with temps in the 20's and barely 30deg my EV range estimate was down around 9.3 miles. This week the weather finally started to stay (slightly) above freezing overnight and mid 30's to low 40's in the mornings. As of today- my EV range estimate finally hit 10 miles again. :)