1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP sales seem to be really lagging the Volt and Leaf

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mozdzen, Sep 3, 2014.

1. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Toyota may have hit the sweet spot wrt gasoline efficiency per dollar with the PiP, but the Lead and Volt are consistently outselling the PiP.

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are advertising the leaf on tv here for $22,000., that will send some out the door!pip is only sold in limited states.interesting that pip and volt were similar thru june.on the plus side, pip is beating tesla.:p

#2 bisco, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PiP inventory was very low, end of 2014 model year without any 2015 available.

PiP is still only available in the initial rollout states too.

Volt had many 2014 being cleared out with 2015 already on lots.

Volt also had some old leases replaced with new leases, which count as new sales.

That makes the take-rate a bit screwy, too different for direct compares.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My feeling it's probably all about Calfornia HOV (and inventory as per John above).

PiP sales were out of site thru June, in all liklihood reflecting Calfornia consumers zapping up PiPs before the Green Stickers ran out in May. I know we got more HOV stickers in Ca., but in May that was an unknown, If you knew you wanted a PiP with a Green HOV sticker, you would have had to buy before May to be assured of a Green HOV sticker.

Hat's off to Toyota, Toyota seemed to have Ca. PiP inventory available for the Jan-May PiP hot sales period. OTOH Volt sales were weak suggesting the cars were not there in inventory for the green HOV sticker rush. Now we may be seeing weakness in PiP since the Ca. demand was already met, whereas Volt may be making up for the weak first half.

5. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Lots of good points here. Would add that PiP evolution is on track to be financially more sustainable when federal and state subsidies expire. Once these run out the PiP is significantly more affordable. Of course a lot of this won't happen until PiP, Volt, and Leaf 2.0, so we'll see.

6. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I'm sure (maybe I'm sure?) that the next gen PiP will size the battery so that buyers can claim the maximum federal credit.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The next-gen plug-in vehicles must be designed to compete for high-volume sales without any tax-credit assistance.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not expecting the "maximum" $7500 credit but if they could jack PiP up to $4000 that might be cool.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The PiP could double their sales by expanding sales nation as they planned to when they first released the PiP.
    Toyota seems to have no interest in expanding plugin sales.

The PiP has a ton of advantages and could be doing very well.
    I suspect this was a temporary dip and sales will be back up next month.

10. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    Why isn't Toyota building more PiPs? Do they lose money on every car sold? Are they worried about reliability and don't want too many out there?

Quoted from the web site in original message:
    "
    Toyota Prius Plug-In: While Toyota had its largest corporate sales month ever, the Prius Plug-In did not aid in that result.

For August just 818 electric Prii were sold, which was off 52% from a year ago, and Toyota’s worst result since the doldrums of January.

We do have to note, this was/is not a reflection on the demand for the car as…well, there isn’t any. Toyota has less than 100 model year 2015s at dealerships to end out the month.

New model inventory is so tight you really can’t even go by ‘days on hand’, but by hours..like 40 or so. In other words, someone at HQ made a big allocation error and is probably getting ready to fall on their sword at any moment.

Previously, sales of the Prius PHV were strong in July as 1,371 were sold, a 61% improvement over 2013. In June 1,571 plug-in Prius were sold.

Year-to-date, 11,489 plug-in Prii have been sold so far in 2014, 68% more than last year, when 6,822 moved off lots. The Toyota Prius PHV fell out of 2nd place this month on the EV sales charts, past by the Chevrolet Volt.

Much like the Nissan LEAF was for almost all of 2013, the Prius PHV has been a demand vs allocation story over the past 5 months since Toyota reduced the price of the plug-in by $2,010 to $4,620.

The allure of the car, now from $29,990, has essentially meant Toyota can set the amount they want to sell as a function of how many they build."

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting. My ownership of the PiP has been extremely satisfying. It has great utility with a great balance between electric and gas efficiency.

I drove my old 2006 Prius and noticed the handling and ride difference. To be fair, it had 200k+ miles (shocks almost 100k old) and my PiP is 20k+ miles.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This topic has been discussed in great detail many times.

The aspect which continues to float up to the top is: Staying within the initial rollout states has the advantage of learning how to penetrate a market which has already satistfied early adopters.

In other words, Toyota wants to figure out how to appeal to ordinary consumers. It's absolutely vital. The reality of tax-credits expiring and HOV stickers running out is a very big deal. Toyota would like to be well positioned for when that happens, which means figuring out how to achieve mainstream sales.

Knowing that in advance of rolling out the next-gen design will have a big payoff. Simply building more won't reveal that desired information.

13. TomSwift

TomSwift Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    If this is really the reason, I must confess I am surprised that it has taken Toyota so bloody long to figure out how to penetrate a market and sell the PIP.

14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's pretty clear Toyota's "learning how the penetrate a market" with the PiP must be a multi-decade long project. How many years have PiP sales been restricted to a few states? How many more years do they need?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most people don't want hybrids. of those that do, most don't want to plug in. whether sales are going up or going down, no manufacturer has figured out how to 'penetrate the market'. you can't sell what people don't want, it's called supply and demand. sure they could sell a few more. it's pretty apparent they aren't interested in that.

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A quick look at Camry & Corolla sales are good reality check.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    But the trick is they do want to pay less for gas.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they only say that. and the ones that actually do, can't make the numbed work.

19. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I didn't say they wanted hybrids now. I had a reason for using the word "trick". (humor). There seems to be something right about your reply "make the numbed work"....I just have not figured out what makes it seem correct.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL, one of the most appropriate spell check corrections in years.:p

#20 bisco, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014