1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP Service in Non Launch States

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pineprius, May 10, 2012.

1. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Having bought in VA (initial launch state) and living in NC, I asked my local dealer about servcing my PIP. They stated they did not even have a date yet for the techs to go to the PIP training class. I remember reading somewhere that the PIP would be able to be serviced at ANY Toyota dealer regardless of where it was purchased or driven. Anyone in non launch states have experience with any servicing issues? Maybe the Prius Team could shed some light on this subject??:spy:

2. stacey

stacey ☆☆☆☆☆

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The only service I have had done on my car is getting my PA inspection and emissions test done (I bought in MD). I got that done yesterday at the local mechanic that did my oil and tire changes on my 2006 Prius and I didn't have any trouble. I did have one of the techs come out and ask me questions about it, but only from a curiosity standpoint.

I would assume that the car is similar enough to current no-plug version that short of specific issues with any tech that is only available on the plug-in version, most maintenance would be easily doable by any dealership. At least, that's what I'm hoping, should the need arise. Knock on wood.

3. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I reached 5k on my PiP I called my Toyota dealership to schedule an appointment. I knew the 5k service was nothing more than a tire rotation and multi-point inspection. However, when I told him I had a PiP he told me to hold while he asked his technician. He had to called the tech on his cell phone to confirm that they could service the PiP. To be honest, the PiP's first 5 schedule services are not different from a regular Prius. I figured by the time it ever needs a proper service, the technicians would have undergone the proper training. I am not concerned at all as to wheter or not they can service the car at this time.

However, it was fun to see the reaction from the service bay advisors when they realized my car was a Prius PHV. I honestly think they kept the car a bit longer in the service area while they checked it out. It doesn't take 45 minutes to rotate tires. LOL

4. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am getting close to 7,000 miles and should be hitting 10,000 by the end of the summer. I will at that time write a review on the PiP's 10k service. **On a non-launch-state dealership.

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    For routine service I can't think of anything that would be different from a regular Prius.
    The car simply has a bigger battery and a plug, neither of which require any routine attention.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The PiP website had said that all dealerships will be trained in servicing the PiP.

The only real maintenance for many many miles is tire rotations and oil changes which is no different than a regular Prius so I wouldn't be concerned.

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My small town local Toyota dealer in Eau Claire Wi. told me a few months back that they had been trained to work on the Plug-in and were ready to see me when I got mine. So I think all dealers are ready to go!! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I inquired whether my local dealer was going to be able to charge my vehicle when I brought it in (before I picked it up) and they said they had no such plans for plug-ins.

Maybe I didn't ask the right people... but my Minnesota dealer seemed clueless (once again). I wish Dianne was closer!

9. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be at 5,000 miles in a few weeks. I'm not sure who (in Minnesota) I should bring my business to. I may call around and see who is willing to charge my car after they've worked on it.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll bet you'll be heading down here. Just a few miles from me is Burnsville Toyota, who's really been up on their Prius game in the past. I haven't checked about about their support for PHV yet though.

There's no public charging-stations nearby either. The closest along your travel route is 35W/494 at Southtown, $2 for a 2-hour session.

11. SocialSuzy

SocialSuzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    CA was a launch state, and the service guys at the dealer I bought it from here have admitted that they have had NO training on the PIP yet. I've had to bring it in due to GPS issues, now corrected. But when I ask other questions, they service guys are nice, but honest and say they will have to look it up and they honestly might not know the answer.

I'm shocked that Toyota would release these without teaching their guys how to work on them.......I for one am not thrilled with Toyota from a corporate level after reading several of these threads.

12. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Remember that dealers are separate businesses from Toyota corporate. Remember, also that dealers have laws protecting them from interference by the car maker. Toyota organized and presented training. Dealers still had to send their staff. Those who chose not to could not be forced to do so. Toyota also published manuals, but dealer staff need to read them. Toyota made videos, but dealer staff need to watch them.

There are literally thousands of Toyota dealers in the U. S. Some of them take the position that they will NEVER sell a PiP which may be true. But any might be visited by a PiP which needs service or repair.

What is reasonable and fair to expect of a supposedly profit making businessman who sells Toyotas?

I do not agree with your unhappiness at Toyota corporate. They have made an excellent car and are really trying to get the dealers to cooperate.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO it is reasonable & fair to expect the shop that represents Toyota to be able to service or fix the car. If the dealer's employee can't or won't then Toyota needs to get one of their employees out there to do it.

It's Toyota's warranty & they need to stand behind it. Toyota is far from helpless in getting dealer cooperation. If the dealer doesn't participate in training then start pulling stars off their president's award (or whatever they call it) that's supposed to mean something.

Toyota can dictate the style of the dealer's building so they are far from helpless.

1 person likes this.
  14. pineprius

pineprius 15th Hole #4

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the OP ED. Allannde's comments are bizarre to me. Read them again, each makes no business sense. The manufacturer and their agents are responsible for quality, performance and warranty (where ever the product is bought and used). There is a segment in our society that thinks someone else is always responsible and will take care of them. Corporate as well as personal responsiblily is what makes business successful. :spy:

15. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It is always fun to check out new charging stations. $2 for a 2-hour session isn't too bad, either. It's a long way down there, though. Driving 40 miles (each way) just for an oil change seems a bit much... but if that's what it takes to tell the other dealerships to 'get with the program', it might be worth it.

16. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    pineprius

I also find the reality of today's factory/dealer relationship bizarre.

If you have been following the remarkable things Erica has done recently for people very like us, you should have noticed that none of what she has done has included instruction to dealers.

I suggest that you read these articles about dealer franchise laws which I pulled up very much at random (you can see the terms of the search I used).

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=automobile+dealer+franchise+laws&oq=Automobile+franchize+laws&aq=1blK&aqi=g-lK1g-blK1&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i13i30j0i8i13i30.2551.14398.0.18925.25.22.0.3.3.0.126.1635.12j10.22.0...0.0.Q7RdgpkIoYA]automobile dealer franchise laws - Google Search[/ame]

17. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was having my Gen II Prius serviced last winter, and asked the service manager if hey were going to be ready for the PHEV; he didn't even seem to know about it.

However, they're a good dealership (Alexander Toyota (now called Toyota of Cool Springs) in Franklin, TN) and i expect good service, even though the PHEV isn't yet for sale in Tennessee.