1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP shorter cruising range compared to Prius, is that even possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JamesKFChiu, Mar 18, 2016.

1. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would have been nice if the Dealer knew that before I bought one. This is the 1st time I have seen this info anywhere.
    How about the 300 extra pounds that the batteries weigh so the MPG is much lower when not on EV.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, salescritters are too often a lush fountain of misinformation. Not just for Prius, not just for cars, but for a vast array of products.

3. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes,
    But I wish I could have found this basic info on the PIP Fact section in January when I needed to.
    Basic facts: it weighs more and has smaller gas tank.
    Those 2 facts would have kept me from purchase due to lower cruising range and less MPG on long trips which I take daily
    This info is not available from Toyota.

4. nickfromny

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And on top of the lower MPG it is a dog off the line due to extra weight.
    Mabey the golf club will let me use it on the course.
    Waiting for a Gen 4 Eco
    Hopefully those Lithium Batteries will last as long as Nickle

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not the stealer's job to know anything about the cars on their lot. Their job is to sell cars, and more importantly, accessories, financing, maintenance packages, extended warranties...

Knowing the stealer is not your friend and does not have your interest at heart is the first step towards being an informed consumer.

Regarding the PiP; it gets marginally better fuel economy than the standard Prius despite the extra weight. Weight has very little to do with fuel economy.

I find the Prius to be faster off the line compared to any gasoline powered car. The instant electric torque gets me moving immediately.

I'm averaging 62 MPG in the PiP. If you're getting worse than standard Prius economy, then something is broken on your car.

6. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wait what? I thought the 1st gen PiP has the same gas MPG as the non-plug-in variant, hence the smaller gas tank and lack of spare tire. The PiP has such a small EV range compared with other plug-ins because Toyota refuses to let it have worse MPG rating than the non-plug-in Prius.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's not clear how they test models across a range for mpg's. what is clear is that the pip gets better fuel economy than the lift back in real life, which is more important than lab testing.
    i think it only weighs 240 pounds more.

8. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I noticed the Plug-in sold in Europe has the same 45 litre (11.9 US gal) tank as the standard Prius. Does anyone know why it's smaller on the US model?