1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP TPMS/no spare tire/fix it can

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pineprius, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  2. dragonfinder1

dragonfinder1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Walmart has a "Slime Pump kit". Throw away the slime and just use the air compressor. I've done that on a motorcycle tire that had a flat, the slime won't work with a tube, but the compressor doesn't need the "slime" to work. About $20.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It wouldn't be too hard to get an old spare tire "J" bolt from the junkyard, rivet or bolt a 'strap" through the top cover, and use a "spare tire" holding "wing nit" to hold the spare behind the rear seat. A small elastic cover like a "shower cap could fit iver the tire.

The Prius OEM jack, tools and foam holder would fit inside the spare, just like on a regular Prius.

The wole package weighs a little over 30 pounds and can easily be removed and store, should the extra space be needed.

Toyota should offer this option to PIP buyers.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I solved the problem by Removing the Compressor, Goo Cans, Jack and toe bar from the car. I was hoping to freeup a lot of weight, but they were only 10 lbs.

I'll call ToyotaCare.

6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If the point of the J bolt is just to hold down the spare, you can just use the straps for holding down a tire that is included with the Prius Plug-in.

Perhaps you never drive out of cell phone range. If you do drive out of cell phone range, the compressor, fix-a-flat, and jack still provide a backup to Toyota Roadside Assistance in those circumstances.