1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP transmission oil change @ 10K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by tplus, Feb 10, 2013.

1. tplus

tplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi All,

I had thought about changing my 2012 Prius Plugin's transmission oil for a month, even though a dealer stated that I won't need to change it til 100K. My PIP has 10k miles mostly highway miles; my daily commute to work is almost 80 miles, I charge at home and work; my lifetime average MPGe is 78.

I've always maintained all my vehicles; only brought them to the dealer for a couple recalls, or to the tire shop. I follow the factory recommend services; at times I perform the services earlier. Have bought all FSMs including the electrical manuals for all vehicles, but still waiting for the PIP manuals to become available.

For parts I typically only use factory parts/filters. For oils I typically use Amsoil; however for the PIP decided to buy the Toyota WS oil, after reading priuschat.com.

I have two floor jack one is a low profile, jack stands with adapters I made for the side support flanges. Leveled the PIP using the floor jack on the rear central support. After supporting the PIP, I decided and removed the complete lower plastic shroud which makes it easier to work on. Well I'm glad I changed the oil, you'll see why; instead of writing a lot, I'll just post my pics and add comments! Enjoy!

My PIP with 10K miles.
    1.jpeg

Supported with jackstands and floor jack at rear central supports. Safety is important.
    2.jpeg

Jackstands with steel/nylon adapters for side support flanges that I made.
    3.jpeg

Stands in place
    4.jpeg

The fill and drain plugs removed, finished draining oil.
    5.jpeg

The used aluminum gasket is flatten and larger.
    6.jpeg

New gasket bought from Toyota.
    7.jpeg

Now the interesting pics!
    I put some old and new oil in glasses, here's a pic with a flourescent light behind them.
    8.jpeg

Glasses on my car with light from the garage window...
    9.jpeg

The old oil with a 10W LED security light behind it
    10.jpeg

New oil with the same 10W LED security light behind it.
    11.jpeg

Refilled with a new funnel and hose.
    12.jpeg

I measure the amount of oil that I had in the drain pan, and placed the same amount in my PIP. None overflowed out, I did check with my finger, and the oil was about 1/8" from the filler hole. I measured the oil by refilling/draining one of the quart containers.
    Another interesting thing, the oil has a fine metallic sheen to it; the pink drain pain I used was clean before I used it. After measuring the oil above, I put the last quart back into the pan. A picture wouldn't do justice, so I took a short video; the metallic sheen is noticeable in the video, but more noticable in person... Take a look at this youtube video...

That's it! I'm glad I changed it, perhaps after another 10-15K, I'll change it again.
    (I've should have rotated the tires when I had them off the ground. I haven't brought my PIP back to the dealer, but I have rotated at 6K and changed the oil/filter at 8K, besides a few other things.)

j12piprius, JMD, Jer Sand and 7 others like this.
  2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i think there's some confusion in terminology here.

unless i am mistaken, you replaced the engine oil, no?

the prius has no transmission, so i'm not even sure what "transmission oil" would mean here.

by the way, your pip comes with complementary factory-recommended maintenance for the first two years, including free oil changes at 10k and 20k miles or 12/24 months, whichever comes first.

welcome to PC!

3. tplus

tplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius has a ECVT(Electronically controlled Continuously Variable Transmission) at least
    what Toyota states. For the above I replaced the ECVT oil. I did replace the engine oil/filter earlier at 8K.
    Thanks! I'm aware of the complementary two year maintenance; but prefer to maintain my vehicles.
    (I try to keep a meticulous record; date/mileage/service performed, save my receipts, even record gas station fillups.)

JMD, Rebound and frodoz737 like this.
  4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, that is very strange indeed. i wonder if the car sat on the lot for a long time before being sold? that difference in light transmission and color makes me really wonder.

5. tplus

tplus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I purchased the car during the Prius Plug-in Preorder and was 3711 of 5000. After being built/assembled in Japan it was in my garage after a month...I picked up my car on Apr 28, 2012. I have no complaints, since I've been getting 78 MPGe.

I enjoyed taking a quick glance at the list of mods on your Prius... Logging out, take care!

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Technically, it has a Transaxle, which just means the differential is in the same case as the trasnmission. It uses Toyota ATF WS. (Mechanically, it is a one speed transmission that never shifts, but with the two Motor/Generators and lots of software it emulates a CVT)

Conventional wisdom states that the ATF WS should be changed at 30,000 miles then every 60,000 miles.

JMD likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh come on, take a guess, LOL

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're using 2 jackstands in the front, but only a jack at the back. That's better than no jackstands, by a long shot, especially since you're under the car near the front, still: I'd put 2 more jackstands at the rear side jacking points, on the rocker panel.

For the front jackstand locations, I prefer to put them at the forward end of the underbody rails, instead of the front rocker panel side jacking points. The latter seem to flimsy, with the extra weight of the front end.

Regarding your method of measuring what came out, then pouring in the same amount: I'd say it's much simpler, and more reliable, to just pour 'till it starts coming back out. Slow down when you're reaching the spec'd. refill volume, obviously. Stop as soon as you can once it starts overflowing, then just wait till it subsides. You can hurry that up by splashing it out a bit with a finger.

9. RBooker

RBooker Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would be surprised if there was no color change after 10,000 miles!

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The aluminum gasket is deformed because it's supposed to deform to seal. If you torqued the drain plug properly, your new gasket is deformed now too.

I think performing maintenance at 10% of the recommended interval is silly and wasteful. Darkness of the oil doesn't mean that the fluid is spent. Send the drain oil out for some sort of analysis and you can start making recommendations.

Compared to a conventional automatic transmission the fluid in a Prius transmission doesn't have a lot to do. There's no friction material involved, just the meshing of gears, rolling of bearings and transfer of heat.

I call this the Pat Goss effect. If you watch Motorweek, any maintenance he recommends has to be done twice as frequently or more than what the manufacturer recommends. I suspect he's motivated to sell the products that sponsor his show. I can't imagine changing my transmission fluid every 10,000 miles (even if it's easy to do).

mmmodem likes this.
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know if visible light transmission is the right indicator for transmission fluid life. Just because it is dark doesn't mean it is past its useful life. For example, the color difference of motor oil at 1000 miles usage versus new could be just as stark a difference. You'd need to send it in for a used oil analysis to confirm.

The Prius owners manual doesn't even have a transmission fluid change interval. Not that I can find anyway. It only has an inspection interval every 30k miles. Doing anything more than the owner's manual is just peace of mind.

FWIW, transmission fluid change interval on my 06 civic is 120k miles according to the manual.

lensovet likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you tplus, that's a great write up and pics. those look like two of my favorite microbrews!:cool:

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great write up. I love the pictures. :)

While color is not a great indicator of fluid quality, analysis has shown that by 30k there is breakdown and contamination. I am going to do mine at 20k and have a sample analyzed to help build our knowledge base.

j12piprius and Tracksyde like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We have an 06 Civic Hybrid, still in the family (actually sitting in our garage at the moment). Maintenance intervals are determined by the in-dash Maintenance Minder. It tells you maintenance is due, and gives codes which correspond to maintenance items in the Owners Manual.

There are no maintenance intervals (for anything) in the Owners Manual, at least in the Canadian book. Maybe different in the States?

I did an early transmission fluid change on that vehicle, which muddles things a bit, but the Maintenance Minder has also asked for transmission fluid twice. I'd hazard it was roughly 60000 kilometer intervals, say 45000 miles.

I did find a Honda pamphlet at our dealership with a guideline. It called for 48000 kilometer or 24 month interval, for the CVT. And for regular Civic with automatic, the interval (in the pamphlet) is 96,000 km or 36 months. I've attached a scan of the pamphlet in pdf format.

Personally, I like to do a transmission (or transaxle) fluid change at the end of the first year, then every two years thereafter. Might be overkill, but it doesn't cost a lot.

Attached Files:

j12piprius likes this.
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1
    It's the right thing to do. It's a good idea to change the oil in any gearbox early the first time. There are manufacturing contaminants and break-in wear materials that are a good idea to get rid of. I held off until 20k miles for my first change because I don't plan to keep my Prius over 150k miles.

Mendel Leisk, j12piprius and F8L like this.
  16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Really I do not like the lubricant color change, and it's very noticeable. Could it be because of temperature?
    This should be answer by a real advanced Prius mechanic/engineer from Toyota support.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here we go again...
    Ignoring the color change what about the visible pearlescence ?
    The OP said: "Another interesting thing, the oil has a fine metallic sheen to it".

What do you guys think that stuff is ?

Threads on this subject always have posts from guys saying to follow the owner's manual, which doesn't have ATF changes scheduled.
    Toyota knows best? I don't think so....

It's a just a gearbox. It needs a clean lube if it is to last a long time.

What about threads that include actual oil analyses from multiple cars showing the crud that comes out of these gearboxes?
    Like this thread: ATF fluid changes ARE Required. | PriusChat

I added a super magnet to my drain plug, hopefully to catch some of the ferrous metal crud.

j12piprius and Tracksyde like this.
  19. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They don't? They built the car.
    Prove it. I'm not a mechanic. I'm a computer nerd. I don't know anything about cars. Should I believe Bill Norton or the engineers that made my car? I'm not disputing what you are saying. But all that thread says is that there's a lot of crud in the oil.

I look at it this way. 10 years ago, I recommended defragmenting your computer hard drive on a regular basis. Your computer can develop a lot of leftover files from deleted programs or updates (crud) that will slow it down and possibly cause problems. Today? Nope. Oh, crud still develops in your hard drive. It's still there just the same. Left over files muck up things all the time. But it's no longer a problem because the new file system does not get hindered by random things as much. Also, today's faster processor just plows through the crud as if it weren't there. You don't even notice it going slower because your CPU is so fast. Only in a very severe case do you need to defragment.

Computers are not the same as cars, I know. I'm just using that as example of how things used to be and how things change. There's still a few computer guys out there that recommend defragmenting their hard drive and changing their oil every 3000 miles.

DianneWhitmire likes this.
  20. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Go for it then.
    Never-ever change the gearbox oil in your Prius.
    And I'll run clean oil in mine.
    Which is going to last the longest?
    Why does Toyota recommend ATF changes for every other vehicle in their fleet?

I like to think I know a thing or two about gears and bearings.....

That's OK, you're not alone. If you search threads on this subject you always see posts from guys that say
    "Toyota has a master plan for this gearbox. Trust and Obey".

j12piprius and mmmodem like this.