1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP/Volt January 7-11 Switcheroo

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jeff N, Jan 8, 2013.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EV efficiency may be roughly the same for how Jeff N drives. If we look at how devprius drives, we'll see a different story. So will looking at John H's. So, if you take account of all different driving conditions and average them up, PiP EV efficiency will be better. It will also have higher gas efficiency.

Sure it is. If you are going to drive fast, the high density fuel (also lighter) that refuel in a few minutes is better. The battery life will be lower when draining it in 15 minutes. So those precious battery cycles will be even more expensive.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes. The data is from EPA and they use 29% EV for PiP and 64% EV for Volt. Your EV ratio may vary. However, those ratios are from SAE J1711 utility factor based on the statistics. I think it is a bell curve and some people will be at the ends of the curve. They will be the exceptions and not the rule.

EPA currently uses eGRID 2010 and I think it is really 2007 data. There is eGRID 2012 that uses 2010 data but EPA has not switched over yet. There is about 5% improvement (cleaner) in the electricity so you can factor that in.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Which means that data is useful for which is better, on average, over the entire nation, 6 years ago.
    It is meaningless for individuals though, especially those that live in the present, or buy/use green energy.

So for the purposes of an individual's comparisons, would you agree, disagree, or have anything to add to my list?

austingreen likes this.
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I agree. The last item is really the EV/HV ratio. I think it is the trickiest one to figure out.

I would add that you should consider the kind of miles you'll be driving in both EV or HV mode - City or Highway or both. That can skew the actual emission beyond taking account of just the EV/HV ratio.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Although, I would go further and say the EV/HV ratio is a good first estimate, the driving pattern is more revealing.
    For example, someone with a PiP that takes a 500 mile trip once a month and drives 10 miles a day every other day will have approximately 38% EV/HV ratio. A Volt in this case would be detrimental as it wouldn't help the daily emissions and would hurt the monthly 500 mile trip emissions.
    However, a person that drives 32 miles a day every day, and doesn't take longer trips would also have approximately a 38% EV/HV ratio in a PiP, but in the Volt that would improve to a virtually 100% EV experience.

This is why I think the individuals driving habits are a far superior measure although they can be difficult to measure.

6. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Man the TV talk was priceless. Right when this thread started going to shit in pops some patheticly funny debate about TV size, laying down and car fitment to make grinning and bearing through the last 3 pages worth it. Damn my OCD...

7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Morning Volt Update:

I drove all 45.7 miles to work on a single overnight battery charge for the 4th day in a row this week. This time I changed my "charge timer" which usually goes from midnight to 3:45am so it would complete about 30 minutes before I left for work. I had 2-3 miles remaining on the battery instead of the previous day's 1-2 so maybe it helped. Arrival temperature was 38F or one degree warmer.

I added 12 miles of estimated range charging at work on 120V for almost 2.5 hours and then drove to lunch and got a little over one hour of free charge at 240V at a city parking lot for an additional 14 miles.

My cumulative total since Monday at noon is around 233 mpg which is typical of what I did most of last fall.

John Hatchett likes this.
  8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    you're killing me, when are we getting the weekly comparison? lol

9. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I've been too scattered to get it done yet but I have gathered all the info for last week. I will add in my data from this week and put it all together into a table of some kind over the weekend.

10. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    while you're at it, change your profile pic and vehicle info ;)

Ken Blake likes this.
  11. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Code:

Basic statistics

Driver  Model	 EV  HV  Total EV% HV% Gallons kWh (wall)
    Joe6Pack Small Car 0 403 403	0  100 13.4	N/A

Devprius PiP	  69 335 403  17  83  6.9	19.9
    Devprius Volt	  179 225 403  44  56  6.1	59.2

Jeff N  PiP	  142 313 455  31  69  4.8	36.8
    Jeff N  Volt	  365  95 460  79  21  1.9	94.8

---------------------------------------------------------------

Efficiency

Driver  Model	 MPG  HV-MPG EV-MPGe MPGe kWh/100
    Joe6Pack Small Car 30  30	  0	 30	N/A

Devprius PiP	  58  49	 116	 54	29
    Devprius Volt	  66  37	 102	 51	33

Jeff N  PiP	  95  65	 130	 77	26
    Jeff N  Volt	  242  50	 130	 98	26

(MPGe column fixed: was 30, 60, 65, 85, 113)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

CO2 equivalent emissions as pounds per 100 miles
    (average electric emission rates for Northern CA PG&E, nationwide, and zero CO2 emissions

Driver  Model	 PG&E US Zero
    Joe6Pack Small Car 82  82 82

Devprius PiP	  45  49 42
    Devprius Volt	  45  57 37

Jeff N  PiP	  30  37 26
    Jeff N  Volt	  21  38 10

Commentary:

Sorry about the formatting. I give up. You'll just have to figure out how to line up
    the numbers.... Anyway....

The week after switching cars, I carefully recorded my driving in the Volt
    using the same approximate commute pattern and diligence at finding workplace
    and public charging. Devprius did not do the same in the Prius but based on
    some of his other records of recent driving I approximated what he might
    have gotten and scaled the distance to match his driving of the Volt. The results represent driving each car from Monday afternoon until Friday morning or effectively 4 full days of commuting and associated typical side trips for shopping etc. The numbers should be accurate to within 5% for the driving on those actual days. Longer term averages might be slightly different. For example, I got 50 hv mpg in the Volt but my typical longer run average is around 47. The same effect might apply to the 65 hv mpg I got driving the Plugin Prius.

Interestingly, if Devprius were able to charge more at work and have the
    same percentage of battery driving in the Volt that I got then his CO2
    emissions would match the 49 pounds per 100 miles of driving the Prius Plugin under US average electricity emissions.

Gasoline emissions are based on GREET at about 24.5 pounds CO2 equivalent per gallon. PG&E average emissions are reported as around .524 pounds per kWh. The US nationwide average is assumed to be 1.34 pounds per kWh.

There is disagreement among CO2 emission studies as to whether average or marginal electric
    emission rates should be used for calculating plugin vehicle emissions. There is also
    disagreement about what the correct marginal emission rate should be for Northern CA.
    A 2009 study from UC Davis suggests that the correct marginal rate is approximately
    the same as the US average rate of 1.34 pounds per kWh. This rate is far higher than
    the average CA rate since it includes no renewable energy and is basically the rate
    of natural gas using non-optimal plant generation efficiency. Other estimates of marginal electricity emissions range upwards from .86 pounds per kWh.

In any case, PG&E will soon offer a Green Option based on so-called
    Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) which I plan to use when they become available this spring. Devprius also has solar on his roof. So, in reality, our CO2 emission rates could be closer to the "Zero" emission column
    which includes only gasoline-based emissions.

I did not include fuel cost per mile. In reality, I effectively pay about 8-10 cents per kWh due to my usage patterns and the E-9a Time of Use rate but I've been getting half my charging at work or at free public charging locations so far. That means I'm probably paying about $.02 per mile driving on battery. Devprius has solar and I have no idea what effect that has on his effective charging cost.

The bottom line is that these are both great all around cars. I would do very well on CO2 emissions in the Prius today but in the near future I will do notably better in the Volt with improved workplace charging and renewable energy options from my utility. And, I get to drive quietly on electricity the large majority of the time, reduce my use of petroleum, and diversify my energy source options.

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    with the MPGe (kWh/100 miles) in EV mode the same between the two models it seems like we should understand the difference in CO2 emissions for speeds above 62mpg as one vehicle starts to blend gasoline and the other will expectantly consume more kWh/100 miles.

the statement/observation that the two are equivalent in EV mode may be grossly wrong, since the comparison of EV performance in the above comparison already includes EV > 62mph for one of the vehicles and the other is limited to EV < 62mph.

13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The EV efficiency seems about equivalent for the way I drive -- if I restrict my Volt driving to stay within the limits of the Prius Plugin's EV abilities then I see that both cars have about the same EV efficiency. Devprius has a heavier foot so his EV efficiency between the Prius Plugin and the Volt diverged because he was driving beyond the EV ability of the Prius at some times and causing the engine to startup and take some of the load.

However, we both got about 30-35% better gas engine efficiency driving the Prius. So, if electric driving is works for you then the tradeoff is that the Volt lets you do that 3.5-4.0 times longer and under more conditions but the downside is less efficiency on gasoline when and if you are using it.

austingreen likes this.
  14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So maybe the difference between you and devprius represents the divergence above 62mph? that seems like a reasonable theory, albeit the delta also includes demands for more than the PiP's EV kW output below 62mph.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great reporting, Jeff.

The emission data includes fuel production upstream emission right? However, the fuel efficiency doesn't include the upstream. It seems we are looking only at the vehicle level.

PiP's vehicle level efficiency is as good or better than Volt for either fuels (broken down). Volt has higher EV ratio so the inflated MPGe will raise the composite figure. It would be a fair comparison if the fuel production losses are included.

16. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With the Solar I'm paying around 14 cents a kWh right now (winter). During summer, I was paying about between 10 & 11 cents a kWh. And during Fall it was also around 11 cents a kWh. That's the raw cost of the electricity used during off-peak times averaged out. The numbers look a little different if I divide the total billed amount by the total electricity consumed for the month. In the winter I'm still paying about 14 cents a kWh, but in the summer I can actually earn between 20 and 68 cents a kWh. For fall, I'm paying about 10 to 11 cents a kWh.

These figures don't take into account the $13 a month minimum meter charges that I have to pay for the privilege of being grid-tied. .I won't know the true cost of my electricity until the end of my True-up period, which should be at the end of July. As things stands, for the last 6 months, I've consumed 1618 kWh from the grid and currently have a balance of $150.44. Or about 9 cents a kWh. If you add in the $13 a month meter charge, it rises to 14 cents a kWh. Given the fact that I was paying on average 26 to 28 cents a kWh before Solar, I'm definitely saving money. I should start earning credits again during spring & summer, which will drive the average amount I pay per kWh lower.[/code][/quote][/code][/quote]

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    David (devprius), What would be the net effect if you enlarged your solar production as well as your own off-peak electric consumption with a larger battery? With your summer time peak earnings it seems like the pay off would be increased.

I pull about 400kWh/month charging a Volt, but I have an EV subscription that costs $4/month.

Jeff N likes this.
  18. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't expand the system due to the fact that I'm out of usable roof space. The solar leasing company gave us as big a system as they could. The only conceivable way to expand the system would be to replace the current panels with higher wattage output panels, something that the leasing company is unlikely to do given the fact that the system is only 6 months old. The system is a 4.94 Kw DC / 4.31 Kw AC rated system using 26 Suntech 190W panels and a Power One PVI-5000-OUTD-US inverter. As of January 31st, it has produced 3061 kWh. It's supposed to produce at least 5869 kWh for the first year.

I posted pics about the system here: Anyone have solar panels | Page 5 | PriusChat

I'm probably pulling between 65 & 85 kWh per month charging the PiP at home.

19. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Originally the system was only going to be 2.47 kW DC, but we re-roofed the house and replaced a couple of vents with low-profile ones that allowed them to design a system twice as big.

20. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you "lease" your neighbor's roof :)

We are getting ready to do solar condominiums in Texas, little different utility regs to deal with. The panels within a large solar farm are condo'd out to individual owners for net metering with the owner's home. Makes owning solar generation feasible for folks who don't have a roof, like downtown high rise buildings.