1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pip vs. Honda Accord Plug-in

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by CharlesH, May 13, 2013.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At the charging station today I met a driver charging his brand new Honda Accord Plug-in. I haven't seen any discussions here about this model; all I see are Volt and Leaf comparisons. As I understand it, the Accord Plug-in became available in January this year with limited distribution. It is rated at 10-15 miles per charge from a 6.7KWh battery, with EPA 47/46 mpg city/highway in hybrid mode, so there should be some interesting comparisons to the PiP.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a thread, but not much real user info yet. keep in mind, accord is the next size up, like camry, fusion, etc. did he educate you at all?

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There were 55 units sold April '13 in all of US. Maybe they've sold 100 so far in total. Not much out there to compare. No real video reviews either, just intro type reviews done in prototypes IIR.

Since PiP is 50 in CS, and non PiP is 50, perhaps the Accord hybrid will come in at 46 MPG.

But, I've a tough time believing any 3,500 lb true midsize sedan can bank 46 at pump. That would be hot though.

They need something high like that since reg Accord is EPA'd at 30 combined, and has a good CVT. Smarty entry and push button start, EX and above. These things will sell like pancakes.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer video with some overview. Some nice jazz along wit it. :)

$40k , bio fabric seats and small trunk, but it should be more 'fun' to drive than Prius. Anyone test drive one yet?

5. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drove the Accord Plug-in at the LA Auto show and they let me take it out on my own without the usual handler. The problem was that the car was already fully discharged so I only got a chance to drive it in HEV mode. It was more comfortable than the Prius and had some nice G-Wiz features like land divergence warning but it is also around $40K for the base model so a bit too expensive for me.

JMD likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's $40,570 sticker and there's only one trim. One chink in the armor is the fabric seats even though they're 'bio-fabric'. I think hardly anyone spending that much wants fabric seats in their car. But they are heated with power adjust, 2 position memory, and steering wheel is leather wrapped, so that helps :)

7. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took some pics earlier this year when they became available in my area. It's a really nice car. If I had to choose between the Prius Advanced or the Accord Plug-in, I'd probably go the Accord route, as it just looks more modern, has newer features (simple things, such as the rear lines in the backup camera, which adjust depending on speed and steering angle).

I like the location of the J1772 inlet better as well (cool 'motorized' door, but that's just a gimmick I guess), nice wheels, it truly does look like a premium sedan. I think the limited trunk space was the big disappointment for me. It's incredible how Toyota made that one work in the Prius.

As for the 'fabric seating', it doesn't feel like regular fabric, the seats were pretty comfy.

But the price is just too high for it to make sense from a financial point of view, so I'm guessing unless you are a major Honda Accord fan, or Honda is going to offer some major incentives, these won't be selling well.

2014 Honda Accord Plug-in - Gallery - ChargeNY

cycledrum, drinnovation and JMD like this.
  8. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed - this smells like a pre-discounted price to me and probably heavily discounted
    I can fully justify a base PiP over the much higher priced Volt but I'd go Volt any day over a 40k Accord

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i paid about 4k more for the pip after credit than an equally equipped prius. i'd be willing to do the same on a hycam, so that would put the base around 32k. if i were in the market for a plug in accord, that's what i would pay.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    He traded in a Gen II Prius (I don't know which year). He said that his wife was so uncomfortable in it that she flatly vetoed any consideration of a new Prius, so they did not even look at a Gen III, either plug-in or standard.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, that wasn't very helpful!:p

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As cycledrum pointed out, sales have been miniscule. See April 2013 Dashboard - HybridCars.com.

I haven't seen any ads for it anywhere. I suspect most folks in the states where it's sold are unaware of it.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully the Accord Hybrid starts at $28k sticker. It ought to be optioned like an EX ($26k), but hopefully without moonroof to keep weight down. They need to get over 40 MPG highway on hybrid since non hy is 36 Hwy. But how are they going to get 5 MPG over a Camry Hybrid??

How is this Accord plugin getting 46 mpg combined in HV mode while PiP is 50? weighs 3,700 lbs :eek:

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    between the hycam, hyfus and hyacc, someone needs to do some serious real world testing. hyacc should start at 28 and plug in at 32.

15. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder if it will be as "successful" as the Insight. ;)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, they've come up with a better system. i'm not sure how important a few mpg's are in that segment vs prius, but price, quality and value i think, would be.

17. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The accord plug-in does not use IMA but has a system that uses two electric motors like the Prius but my guess is that the use a multiple clutch system.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately, there is a photo of the a winder sticker with $4,000 pure dealer mark up for a plug in Accord. So I think buyers are only going to Honda/Accord fans. This may also have hindered other Honda hybrid sales.

The Fusion Energi is its direct competitor. Which starts at a $1000 less(but doesn't have factory nav standard), and, the biggy, nearly twice the EV range with the same amount of trunk space. Which gives me some pause because there is only 0.9kWh difference between the packs. Is Ford being too aggressive, or Honda too cautious in its use? Ford's troubles with the EPA numbers vs. real world with their new hybrids is the only major issue that might turn a non-fan buyer to the Accord over the Fusion.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PiP vs. Accord Plug-in ?

I do not know. Both will sell in limited numbers relatively.

San Leandro Honda handed me the keys to solo test drive Accord EX-L. Didn't know during test drive, but it was a V6. (tons of traffic, no where to get on it except metering light).

anyrate, Accord EX-L is a very nice place to be in. Not luxury car quiet, but notably more quiet than Prius even on rough freeway asphalt. Nice headroom with sunroof. I swear the V6 power seat slides back more than the 4 cyl version which is weird, but both work great. Love power seats, yum. Great steering wheel placement in the car.

The guage will show intant fuel economy, drive gear, outside temp, but it cycles through avg fuel economy, trip and I think ODO (not shown simultaneously).

Great midsize car. Accord will sell Very well this generation.

20. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So here is a small but crazy follow-up. The accord in the pics I posted has been sold. I'm located in Central NY, the buyer is coming all the way from North Carolina to pick up the car.

So something weird is going on. There is more demand than there are cars, or the buyer really wanted this specific car (ignoring trunk size issues, it really was a nice car), but I would be surprised Honda is making that many different configurations.

Really having trouble figuring out Honda's EV strategy, that's for sure. I just posted pics & video of the Honda Fit EV on my site if interested (see sig, don't want to spam).