1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PiP vs Hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wiggleman, Jul 7, 2012.

1. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I parked next to a non-plug-in hybrid yesterday. I think it's a 2012 as well, judging from the body and trim. Both look exactly the same from the rear, except of course for my charging port. I just thought it was a cool sight. btw - I *still* have not seen another PiP in the DC area besides mine. 2cars.jpg

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. The silver trim on the back, charging port and the plug-in hybrid badges are the easiest things to spot.

I've seen a blue one running around in my area, along w/a green one and possibly another 1-2. And no, this is not on HOV lanes (PiP is eligible for CA green HOV stickers). This is just on local roads and an expressway.

I saw a brand new one the other day w/o plates yet. IIRC, it had a Toyota Sunnyvale placard.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The tail-light is a dead giveaway it was not a 2012. The mid-cycle refresh changed them to have the same 2 vertical LEDs for the brakes as the plug-in, but red rather than clear. That makes spotting the newer one very easy to pick out in a crowd.

As for seeing another, you stand a much better chance than me. It may not be until next spring here in Minnesota.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was not a 2012. The Taillights, front facia and wheels are the give-away.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a 2010-to-2012 owner, I also insist that the taillights and wheels on the left belong to a 2010-11, not a 2012.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed. I also misread the post when I replied.

7. Johnny_D

Johnny_D New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The trim piece on the PIP above the handle for the rear hatch, the Toyota Emblem and I think the door handles on the PIP being aluminum in color are a few more differences.
    I have seen three here in So. Cal. In my parking garage, a dark grey one parks in back of me and a sea mist one parks in front to me. Parking garage installed two 110 outlets and the third outlet is in process. Nice to be able to plug in. Told the parking manager he may want to consider installing more 110 outlets rather than 220 chargers which would be done by an outside vendor and they would charge for them. For me, the car is always there long enough to get a full charge. btw, he is thinking about getting a PIP.

8. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, don't forget the 10 spoke wheels.

9. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You running from the law?? I notice you blocked out the plate numbers :cautious:

10. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the comments. I see now the very subtle differences.
    BTW I blocked out the plate numbers, I figured the other guy wouldn't appreciate seeing his plates pictured here, since I didn't ask him/her permission. As for mine, well, I do not know, better to be safe than sorry. I've told my plate numbers elsewhere on this site, so avid follows would know.