1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP worth it for 55 mile commute?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by the_chinadian, Nov 9, 2012.

1. the_chinadian

the_chinadian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    LOL - thanks for working "malarky" into the thread.

I called 2 other dealerships and they both told me "bs" at first. Then they read the fine print and said "oh wait." two dealerships wouldn't do it. a third dealership would do it, but the guy I chatted with was super-sketchy. He said he would consider me a "visitor to the state" and pretend to not know about it. Then that guy jacked up his "e-price" by $2k ... so, not really worth it any more.

I will post the offer on the table in a separate thread for my local purchase. I think it's a fair deal. not great.

more later,
    Marc

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think we have. I poked around here on Priuschat about pricing when I put myself on the waiting list for an 06 Prius.

I agree about the latter... there are a bunch of new complications. However, back when I got my Prius, there was a $3150 Federal tax credit (don't know about leasing situation as I didn't even care about leasing) and yellow CA HOV stickers. There were a bunch of local incentives too (e.g. free city parking in San Jose if you bought your car from a SJ dealer, free city parking in LA, etc.)

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Marc I sent you a personal message with some ideas...do you know how to see those under Inbox?

4. ra3boy

ra3boy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks to all replied. I got a quote from a local dealer: Advanced with carpet mats only, MSRP $40,510, selling price $35,300 (after TFS' $4k).
    The dealer said there is still room to lower that number!
    Does the sales tax kick in before or after TFS' rebate is applied?
    Last question: supposedly I never plug in, will PIP regenerate and fully charge battery to allow extended ( compared to reg. Prius) EV mode ?

5. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^Driving down big hills I can pick up 2 or more miles of EV range. It will regen more than the regular prius, but it would be hard to get it to all the way full, more likely just a few miles at a time if you have big hills in your commute.

In LA if you commute over the Sepulveda pass every day, your getting an extra 2 miles of EV range when you get to the bottom compared to making the same drive in a regular prius.

lensovet likes this.
  6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tax, most likely, will be counted on the pre-TFS price. SO if you can get the dealer to lower that price further, that's very much in your interest for tax purposes.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

It depends on the state per What Fees Should You Pay? - Edmunds.com.

wjtracy and ra3boy like this.
  8. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It may be different if shipping. I'm driving to NY from Wisconsin on Friday to pick my new PIP. I have a written contract with down payment so I doubt they can back out. Got the $4K TFS. But I'm finishing off the deal in NY.

wjtracy likes this.
  9. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    wow, that's $2500 less than i paid in CA just 2 months ago :eek:

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius