1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIS Kit Install Help / Documentation / Instructions / Should I just sell it?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by dmulk, Mar 17, 2018.

1. dmulk

dmulk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

Well I'm in a bit of a pickle. A few years ago I purchased a complete kit for my 2012 Prius Plug-in from Robb and have been so busy with life that I never got around to installing it.
    Today I went to visit his site and it looks like it's gone...along with the DIY site that had notes and instructions. Wondering if there is anyone on this site that has some instructions for building the 4kw banks along with install instructions for a Gen3 or Prius plugin. I'll take anything you have at this point to help me piece together the install.

I've shot Robb an email to see if he has any docs he can send me but if he has moved on he might not respond.

If you have one of these kits installed and might be able to take some photos of some stuff that might be quite helpful as a worst case scenario. =)

Thanks all!
    Dan

2. dmulk

dmulk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This looks like a pretty good write up...

PIS 4kwh PHEV kit assembly and installation odyssey | PriusChat

....after reading it though....man....I'm not sure I can tackle this now unless there is someone located near me in the San Diego, CA area that can help.

If anyone is interested in an unused "beast" of a PIS kit for a 2012 Prius Plugin...feel free to PM me. As I understand it, the rear computer takes a different software (which I have installed on it) than a standard plugin kit that modifies a standard Gen 3 Prius to a plugin. I have 4 x 60AH packs made with 3.2v Headway 40152's (256 Batteries in total). Robb told me that for the PIP the optimal voltage was ~205v. I have a complete kit (Cell boards, jumpers, tie-in cables etc.)

Will likely make a post in the appropriate sale area soon...

Dan

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried finding the old site on the Wayback Machine at archive.org? They periodically archive websites if their robot is not blocked.

dmulk likes this.
  4. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    dmulk and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. dmulk

dmulk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys...really appreciate the replies. Yeah I spent about an hour last night before heading over here and posting on TWBM...if you click through the links you will eventually end up on the diy site where all the instructions used to be. Once there if you dig down you'll find that most of the images for the install notes are missing. I even searched Google cached versions of the sites and used Google to find things but it's small bits and pieces.

"Frogs" post listed above on this site I'd actually the closest and most complete detail of an install I can find anywhere so far....

I'm pretty conflicted since I spent a bunch of money and am now trying to figure out what I should do with this kit. Further research seems to indicate that I have a fairly rare kit because of the special software needed for the PiP...seems Robb didn't do many of those.

Anyway, had a PM from another member with a question about the kit and figured I'd post that blurb here for more detail on my situation...

" I didn't install the software. Robb did it for me. Here's the reader's digest version of the story. In 2015 I purchased a used 2010 prius with the intentions of modding it using one of Robb's kits. I purchased the kit for it with the front and rear computers and about 6 months later found a really good deal on a 2012 PiP Advanced that I couldn't pass up. Honestly, the 2010 was a nice car but didn't have all of the features I wanted since I tend to keep cars for at least 10 years.
    I reached out to Robb and asked him if the kit I bought would work or could be modified to work in a PiP. He said that the packs would need to be reconfigured for 205v (since he found that the PiP works best with this voltage vs the standard Prius - he had a 2012 PiP personally that he modified). He also said that there is a different version of the software that would need to be loaded in place of the standard software (and also that the front computer would no longer be used and in it's place a switch would be used). The last thing was a different HV Tie in cable was needed.

So I sent him the computer, he re-flashed it and sent it back with the additional tie-in cable.

Do you have a PiP or a standard with one of his kits?

Thanks for reaching out. I'm about sick that I spent all this money and haven't don't the project. Right after I purchased everything my father began a long end of life process that occupied just about every weekend for two years. Now that that is over...I'm staring at all this stuff and trying to either consider selling it to recoup some of the money and move on or try and find someone that can help me muddle through the install...if the kits are somewhat realisbel etc."

Pretty great community here. Thanks again for the comments and attempts to help. :)

Dan

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    #6 lopezjm2001, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    dmulk likes this.
  7. dmulk

dmulk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually...that is helpful.

Do you have one of these kits installed?

8. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    dmulk likes this.