1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PITA - License plate frame shopping

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cycledrum, Jan 20, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OMG! So, I decided yesterday to spend a little bit of time picking out 2 license plate frames from local auto parts so as to not be a rolling ad for my dealer.

Little bit of time shopping?? Yeah right. Rant on...

License plate frames on late model cars are pretty much all the same from the dealers - 2 bolts at top and about a 1" wide border at bottom to cover the 2 unused holes in license plate.

What are 95% of the plate frames in the local auto parts stores? 4 bolt holes. Call me picky, but I want an OEM replacement at least on back of my car, not 2 unused lower holes. Not going to shove 2 bolts and locknuts that don't do anything into the aluminum hatch either, even though it's hidden behind the plate.

Pretty soon, I'm spending far too much time looking at plate frames in different stores. And I didn't want frame that say 'Prius' or Toyota from the dealer for $30 a pop.

I finally settled on a black chrome 4 bolt for the front and got super lucky to find a Bell chrome tribal model which has the 2 holes at top and border to cover lower holes.

All in all .... too much time sunk into picking out 2 frames, plus some failed purchases and return.

Shame on the license plate frame vendors like Cruiser Accessories | Welcome to Cruiser Frames Notice how most of their frames are 4 bolt mount ... not OEM replacement.

Maybe they just want to proliferate 4 bolt frames for the ghetto cars with four 12" subs in boxes in the back end to keep plate from rattling.

No wonder most cars on the road just roll with their dealer frames, or no frames at all.

Oh brother ....:mad:

1 person likes this.
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    'Course, one could say, why didn't you buy them online. For a frame?

1 person likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought this thread was about an ad frame for those whacko pita animal rights people. sorry!:redface: i think frames are illegal here.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't have a frame around your license plate in Boston? You mean the new cars have no plate frame that always has the name and often the phone number of selling dealer? Every dealer uses those here.
    050705 252.jpg

top of frame reads www.toyotasunnyvale.com bottom says 1-800-toyota-9

like said, rolling advertisement. Didn't want car branded like cattle.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...I bought aftermarket frames, because I wanted them to look better and I also don't like advertising for any dealership.

My vehicle also has OEM 2 bolts. But the license plate itself is drilled from the state with 4 holes. So , I just use the bottom two with short bolts, this secures the actual license to the frame. Then I use actual, longer "real" bolts to attach to the OEM license holder to the vehicle.

Since the bottom bolts are primarily just decorative...I use the shortest possible. At least on my Fit they do not rub against the spot behind them. I did cover them with a piece of duck tape behind..not visible..just incase.

Anyway, that's how I handled the situation. I think it looks fine. From the outside it just looks like the license is attached with 4 bolts.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they still do. but, awhile back, when i went for a sticker at a local inspection station, they had removed the dealer frames and told me they were illegal.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CA plates come with 4 holes (I'll bet all states do).

On the Prius, the plate is so close to the hatch, that any bolt/nut would contact the aluminum hatch and scratch the heck out of it over time.

There are 2 thin foam pads on Prius hatch underneath plate area. Once 2 upper bolts tightened, assembly pressed against the foam and it's all secure with no rattling. No need for lower bolts. I like OEM-like replacements and obviously it irritates me when it's difficult to find them at a local parts store.

I saw a Lexus IS 250 with a 4 bolt frame and lower bolts installed, but too long ... they were jabbing into the 250 metal.

If some unsuspecting customer gave a 4 bolt frame to a 'shop' to install it, I'll bet a few of them would use power drill and screw 2 lowers right into a trunk or hatch.... and assume no liability for the damage.:eek:

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that's crazy. Seems they had a few too many number or stickers covered up :eek:

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's just the "look" of an open bolt hole, which I can understand, why not just glue a bolt head to the front?

10. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wish Anodized Black frames would stay black and not turn grayish.....I suppose I could spray them, maybe match the car color.....H'mmmmm?

UltraJetRefill likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll do that for the front, thanks. Dremel and JB Weld.

12. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just get (4) matching bolts, cut the heads off two of them,and then carefully bond these heads to the frame using something like silicone adhesive. This way the faux bolts cannot scratch your vehicle.

13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems I left my thinking cap at home yesterday. :eek:

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i googled mass law, not supposed to cover any of the numbers lettersor symbols and must be clearly read from 60 feet away. i think the ones i had overlapped a bit.

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

LOL! JB Weld was what I was trying to think of...Hey? It will work.

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got mine from Quality license plate frames and more! You can select exactly what you want.

I actually did that to the top holes on the front license plate, but just to get the "no front license plate" fix-it ticket signed off. I used tape to temporarily attach to the front bumper and took it off after I got the ticket fixed.

18. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    cheap idea

split some black rubber tubing and put around the license plate

[​IMG]

19. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have I mentioned recently that I love living in a state that doesn't require a front plate...

1 person likes this.
  20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the front license plate, I like the black rubber "Flexy Frame". It makes your front license plate act as a low impact bumper guard. And the top rubber bolt caps protect against your bolts scratching the rear bumper of the car in front of you, while the bottom bolt caps cover up the bottom holes. Here's a pic of it on a Prius v Wagon:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34323&d=1327202363[/IMGLINK]

For the rear plate, I like the very inexpensive black plastic license plate frame. For the bottom bolt holes I just snip off the plastic screws that come with it, tape over the cut screw tips and put the plastic bolt covers on. Here's a pic of it on a Gen II Prius:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-modifications/8790d1209020115-favorite-license-plate-frame-001.jpg[/IMGLINK]

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views: