1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pixel XL and Google Project Fi

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by Jim N., Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I'm loving my new Prius Prime! However, I keep getting a message that "the connected device is not supported". I have a Pixel XL phone and use Google Project Fi as my "carrier". I see that the phone itself is on the "supported" list for AT&T and Verizon, so I suspect the use of Project Fi is the issue. Does anyone have any experience with this, whether with the Pixel XL or one of the earlier phones supported on Project Fi?

BTW, most of the functions actually seem to work fine . . . I haven't tried them all out yet. But I keep getting the message, which repeated appears and disappears and appears and disappears and . . . well you get the picture.

(And if you don't know about Project Fi, check it out . . . I love it and have no plans to go back to Verizon.)

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Entune ect. needs a cellular data connection and doesn't work over wifi which your Pixel on GoogleFi may be connecting to. GoogleFi's carrier hopping may also be an issue. Your're on point for this one.

3. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'm going to say that the cellular carrier does not have a bearing on the connection error messages. The incompatibility is very likely due to the different type of phone you are using and how it interfaces via Bluetooth to your Entune apps. The Pixel XL is probably something that Toyota did very little beta testing with.

Even with my Iphone 6S, I run into a ton of issues getting Pandora or Slacker to start up from the car's display controls (as in never). I have to launch the apps on my phone before I hear anything.

And color me VERY interested in Project Fi. It's got coverage in California and Hawaii which are must-haves for me.

4. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Seems to me the WiFi shouldn't be an issue while driving. When I'm in the car, the only times my phone might switch to WiFi are when I'm in my own driveway or perhaps if I'm parked right in front of Sbux.

The carrier hopping might account for the fact that the error message keeps popping up and then disappearing. Perhaps it's doing that when the phone switched to a different cellular network.

5. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But Toyota has tested the Pixel XL with specific networks, so the Bluetooth connection between car and phone shouldn't be an issue. And if it was done right, Entune shouldn't care what carrier's network you're connected to - or even WiFi, for that matter. Entune should be issuing a pretty generic command to the phone via Bluetooth to read from or send to the network. At that point, the phone software should be dealing with any carrier-specific details. Only exception should be if Entune wants to use some functionality that's available on some carrier's but not others.

6. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do you use the bridge, or the tunnel, to travel between the two? :p

Pdog808 likes this.
  7. Ryan c

Ryan c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That is strange. I have a pixel also, not xl tho, and it works fine. It does not sounds like a carrier issue at all, seems like a Bluetooth issue. Does your pixel connect alright with other bt connections? I have TracFone which is the cheapest plan ever, and am never connected to data, and it functions just fine with the prime.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  8. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't use Bluetooth a lot, but I've never had any problems with it when I do.

9. Ryan c

Ryan c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Very strange. Can you pair a different phone to see if you still get the message? You also could try rebooting the system and I think there is a factory reset feature on the prime.

10. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Bridge of course. A tunnel to Hawaii would be ridiculous :)

11. duewerksun

duewerksun New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have the same phone and Fi as well. No issues with connecting to my Prius C. I know there were some Bluetooth issues with the latest version of Android. It might be that.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  12. Jim N.

Jim N. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm leaning toward the carrier-hopping explanation at the moment, because as I drive around daily in my local area I don't experience the problem. If I weren't driving (or if I had a cooperative geek passenger along) I could fire up Signal Spy on my phone and see if the display messages are, in fact, corresponding to carrier switches. But since the problem has been observed only on longer drives in populated areas, and doesn't happen when I stay local (where the phone tends to stay locked onto the same carrier), the carrier-hopping explanation makes a lot of sense.

13. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So if your Google Fi device is set to also use wifi connections for its data connections then in my Comcast exfinity area it tries to connect to these routers because they're open on the front end but password protected to the internet.

Streaming to the car uses your phones connection and data plan. As it hops it loses connection to the stream and has to rebuffer. When you're connected within a network you are often preconnected by the carrier to several cell towers so the handoff seems seamless. This was the whole concept of cell systems to begin with. My idea on the message coming and going.

Not enough identifiable Fi wifi hotspots in my area to make this viable yet. Revisit it when the Pixel 2 comes out.

Now see your post with a screen refresh.

14. Andy Chapman

Andy Chapman New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    No clue about the popping in and out but Project Fi looks like a good deal although I encourage you to check out Consumer Cellular and go for the AARP discount if it applies. I have six phones around the country on my account with 5GB data, unlimited talk and text, fair phone prices and no contract for $120 a month before discount taxes et al. They use ATT network and although the hold times have gone up some their customer service has been outstanding. They don't however credit unused data and I don't think data and text are international like Project Fi.

15. LoliKami

LoliKami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Nope, it's not your phone. It's the car's problem. I've had this trouble with my car for a while and Toyota is still trying to find out why. I have tried iPhone 6, iPhone 7 plus, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, Android Amazon Fire Tablet HD8. They are all doing the same thing.

16. LoliKami

LoliKami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    BTW they have replaced my head unit, software update, and USB connector already

17. DerekR

DerekR New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've not had a problem with Project Fi and a Nexus 5X while traveling around New England over the past 10 days.

18. numbededge

numbededge New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I haven't had this problem on either my old Nexus 5X or Pixel (normal, not XL) with Fi. I have Oreo on the Pixel as well, still no problems, even on longer drives. I have no idea if my phone is swapping carriers since I'm in Southern California and all the carriers are pretty strong here so there is little need for the phone to change from one to another. You may want to have the car checked just in case there's something faulty.

19. LoliKami

LoliKami Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Toyota Corporate have officially gave up and sent the data to Denso which makes the head unit.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    GoogleFi switches among Sprint, US Cellular & T-Mobile, IIRC. Republic Wireless was the carrier that used Wi-Fi whenever possible.

pilotgrrl likes this.