1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Place for aftermarket GPS in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kremlin, Mar 18, 2010.

1. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The beanbag/friction mount works great. Used it on my '07 and '10 with no issues. It doesn't move at all.

2. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Megellan GPS. It came with a suction cup cradle. It also came with a black circular plastic piece (very thin) with adhesive (3m peel-n-stick) on the back that can be used to place the suction cup cradle on. Using the suction cup on the windshield won't work because the windshield is too far-forward. Using the suction cup on the drivers side small glass area by the dash won't work because the cables would get in my way. So....I used the thin, black circular piece w/ adhesive and adhered it to the top of my dash. The cable runs straight down and plugs into the power outlet in the "open" area under the gear shift. This works GREAT. I'm a sales rep and use it every day.

3. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Check out mine on my Prius 2010. It is the Soundgate M2 Mobile Mount (Made in Germany). 3 Pictures posted - Not in use, Position1 & Position2 (if you think Position 1 blocks your view to the warning lights). I love it.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. web1b

web1b Active Member

If you must have it up high, then a friction mount is best. There are a few that curve to the dash and will not slide around.

[​IMG]
    Otherwise, the cupholder is the easiest place and you don't have to buy a special mount. Just get a device with very clear voice instructions including street names, so you don't have to look at the screen often and when you do need to look at the screen, wait until there isn't another vehicle ahead of you that you will hit if it slows down at the exact moment when you look at the GPS.
    Any GPS mounts that you permanently attach to the dash will only invite break-ins because it advertises that you use a portable GPS and that there is at least a 50% chance you have it hidden somewhere in the car.

1 person likes this.
  5. icohen2

icohen2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also have a 2 week new 2010, and I mounted my Magellan on the driver side triangular vent window. The suction cup stays in place when I take the GPS off for storage. It does not block my view at all. The power cord comes over the steering column from the open console plug in. Sorry I don't have any pictures at this time.

I find this position very convenient to use and unobtrusive when watching the road.

1 person likes this.
  6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine stay down here.

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the cables. It is not the safest but it works. When it is off it stays out of site. No one wants their window bashed out for a $100 gps.

1 person likes this.
  7. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a mount that works pretty well with my TomTom from Overstock.com - it is the Handstand stick pad mount - it was also just $10 shipped. The GPS rocks back a bit when punching in the address, but when driving it hold it in place just fine. Here is a link to the mount.

1 person likes this.
  8. yamisoshi

yamisoshi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This isn't an advertisement plug, but I found this while looking for an iPhone 3G mount. They made a ball-mount for my Garmin. :)

ProClip makes clips for the Prius of three locations. Left, cup holder or near air vent. Depending on your 3rd party GPS unit, they'll have specific mounts for it... you can simply find it at www.proclipusa.com.

9. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like a few others, my satnav has a suction cup screen mount with a goose neck. I stick the suction cup on the little triangular window and bend the goose neck round so the satnav faces me. I can't see much out of the little window anyway so the satnav isn't obstructing the driver's view, but it is still visible off to the side of line of sight, level with the HUD. It's almost as if the the little window was made for it. The power lead runs across the steering column (between the column and the dash) down to the accessory socket.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    +1 for the bean bag friction mount. I like my Garmin to sit right in the center on the dash, as that's what works best for me sightline-wise. I'm all about the bean bag mount--has worked beautifully for me since I first owned a Garmin 2610 (and now a 660).

1 person likes this.
  11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're willing to drill small holes in some of the trim,
    there's always this sort of thing. It would probably map over
    to the 2010+ similarly. Just find a place where it doesn't
    obscure view of stuff behind it [harder in the 2010 with the
    centered binnacle, possibly] but allows as little deviation of
    road sightline as possible.
    Bits of gaff tape help quite a bit in general, too, and would
    likely help nail down a beanbag mount so it doesn't slide. Taping
    the cable near the unit cradle also goes a long way.

_H*

12. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, our Garmin 765 with the beanbag mount works great for us. We have a dash mat, so the beanbag sits very securely anywhere we place it on the dash; usually in the center or to the right side where the co-pilot can play with it as needed. The screen is large enough to be seen, from the drivers seat, most anywhere on the dash.

13. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This Garmin fits like a glove and stays secure without any special work.

Arm rest opens and closes easily.

Got the one that speaks street names since you cant watch it and keep your eyes on the road.

Attached Files:

14. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Garmin 1690 in a beanbag here, use it in a few vehicles but after looking at the proclip I might install that in the Prius, it can double mount the Iphone and Nuvi
    The bag doesn't slip at all but it's a full arms reach away, Valentine 1 uses the power socket below the dash (stealth module) so the gps plugs into the center console, ugly but bearable

15. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a new tomtom with the rotating disc clip sucker.

If you place it on the sticky dash mounting disk (without sticking the disk anywhere, just attached to the sucker), you can shove the sucker+disc in the space between the steering wheel and the dash.

16. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Tom Tom with the locking suction cup mount. I mount it top left windshield when I use it. It almost eye level and doesnt really distract when using it.

17. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  18. Frolix

Frolix Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Nandros

Nandros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought an MLS destinator talk & drive 4,3" with a suction cup mount included.The suction mount fitted nicely on the lest side triangle window at the A column. The power cable passes through the handles of a tiny metal clip/binder for papers. The binder is secured on one of the left side grills. Then the cable is hidden in the gap between the steer column and the dash. The other end is connected via the adapter (included in the package) to the lighter under the console. That's it! Sometimes I can the GPS in the car, because it is almost invisible.