1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Placebo Effect? V-Power "Nitro" After 113 Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Starship16, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_0907.jpg
    Get ready to throw eggs at me! Sling tomatoes in my direction! Tar & feather me!
    A couple days ago I topped off the tank (about 7 gallons) with Shell V-Power Nitro Premium 91 Octane. Yeah, I know, what's that crazy dude doing putting premium in his Prius?! :eek: (I got the idea from a Prime thread.)

Today was the third drive, 113 miles as the pic shows. And I swear the ICE is quieter and smoother. Placebo effect on the first drive, sure... but on the third drive? Can't be. I know my loud noisy Prius better than anyone, and it is definitely quieter with the V-Power. And only $2.70 extra for that quietness. Well worth it, for me. :)

Even my Michelin tires are doing better. They must like the 85 degree heat. (It cooled off a bit.) I checked the pressure while they were hot... I wanted to see how much the psi expanded after 113 miles. Just 3 psi. Thats it. I set cold at 42/41... hot went to 45/44. The car rode very well, and I cant believe it, but the tires seemed to be less noisy. It was like driving a totally different Prius. I hope I don't wake up from this dream! :ROFLMAO: I finally had a nice peaceful drive.....

(Drove in "Normal" mode the entire time. Brisk driving. City streets and a little freeway. AC blasting, of course.)

#1 Starship16, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    EyePrime, RCO, DLC82SV and 1 other person like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I believe every word you said, but...
    1. Shell may call 91 octane "Premium", but premium is usually designated for 93 octane. 91 is normally called "Super."
    2. How can you claim the ICE is quieter with the A/C blasting?

RCO, krmcg and Starship16 like this.
  4. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Engine probably quieter from the longer burn duration of the higher octane. Not as quick of a explosion.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Starship16 likes this.
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When I say "blasting", it's only turned up two or three fan speeds. I exaggerated. The AC is quiet compared to that ICE. And I turned off the AC several times. Hot!

And note that I never said the mpg was better, but the engine I am pretty certain is quieter... as long as that "nitro" doesn't burn up my Pistons I will be OK!:eek::ROFLMAO:

But I don't plan on buying the Shell every time I refill. It's just a temporary experiment. I got the idea from the Prime forum. Placebo or not, it felt like a different Prius in the last couple days.

Premium in California is 91, Or so the pump says. Just buy one less hot dog, and that paid for the extra price of the gas. :LOL::LOL:

#5 Starship16, Jul 13, 2018
    DLC82SV and RRxing like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A guy in the Prime forum was asking if he should put in 94 octane because he was not pleased with the loudness of the ICE. He said his engine got quieter.

But those guys hardly ever use their ICE. So I told them I would try it in my regular non-prime Prius.

I don't know much about the ethanol that is in our gas. 10% ethanol here in California. Anyway, it's just a fun little experiment. I got bored. Needed to try something new and exciting.

Now I need a car wash after all these tomatoes hit my Prius! :ROFLMAO:

#6 Starship16, Jul 13, 2018
    EyePrime, DLC82SV, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you need to try taking your ear plugs OUT......since the engine and tires both seemed to get quieter at about the same time.
    :ROFLMAO:

The "premium" fuel might have more cleaners in it or a lower ethanol content.
    If you go back to what you were using before, the improvement might still be there.
    NOW......if the tires get noisier at the same time......we need to have a serious talk. :eek:

8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I never really did use any earplugs. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to hear the high-speed police chase coming up behind me!:eek:

Shell website says the nitro premium has seven times more of the cleaning agent than the federal minimum standard. So if nothing else, maybe it will keep the engine a bit cleaner. Who knows.

I definitely think the Arco, and the 76 brand of gas made my ICE much louder. There was an almost immediate difference in sound when I got the premium Shell a couple days ago. But like I said, it's just a temporary experiment. Bored in retirement! :LOL:

(And the Michelin tires? I don't care WHY they seemed quieter, but I sure liked it today! Maybe because they have 10,000 miles on them now.)

I'm enjoying this dream! I'm now driving a 2016 Prius with the quietness of a Lexus! LOL! ;)

#8 Starship16, Jul 13, 2018
  9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Different fuel brands use different detergents.
    Perhaps Shell cleaned something out of your injectors?

Higher octane will allow the engines computer to advance more timing.
    Perhaps whatever fuel you usually ran was octane deficient and a pinging was present pulling timing.
    Off time and pinging would make for a noisy not smooth engine

Not sure what other fuel system other than injectors would make the engine quieter & smoother.

Just guesses.

The question/ answer is to run `top tier fuel like Shell in the 89 octane your Prius calls for?

Good luck, let us know your findings.

HPrimeAdvanced and Starship16 like this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't be shocked if you were able to measure a slight difference in operating characteristics via OBD logging software. I'm not sure what's available for a Prius, but there has to be something.

Lots of modern engines will tune themselves for variations in fuel. Some tuning gets restricted between hard-coded "bookend" setpoints, so some engines never really get any benefit from better fuel, but a few will show considerable variations in performance.

I would look for differences in the spark advance and knock counters- not sure what Toyota call them but I'm sure the ECU is tracking them.

Data like that would go a long way towards shoring up a narrative account of it "running quiet" or "running smoother."

Starship16 likes this.
  11. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Interesting differences across the pond here in the UK. The lowest we can get here is 95. That's the minimum it can legally be. Premium is pretty much anything that is above that 95 standard (for example Shell V Power) and typically 99.

Starship16 likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I never heard any pinging from my engine. And the car is only 2.5 years old, so hopefully no dirty injectors. I have always bought top tier gas. But never premium before.

Just a reminder, my Prius is a non-prime. So I hear the ICE many times during a drive. Maybe that's why I almost immediately noticed a difference in the sound level.

This is only my car, one car. Everyone's results will vary. And I drive pretty briskly, keeping up with traffic or being in front of traffic. So I hear the engine a lot. But other Prius owners may not notice any difference at all. And they probably don't step on the gas like I do. ;)

Maybe it's the extra "upper cylinder lubricants" that Shell claims they put in the gas. Maybe that's why it seems smoother and quieter. Who knows!

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Be aware that there are multiple measurement systems at play.

Fuel in the UK is typically measured with the RON system, where fuel in the USA is rated as the mean of RON and MON measurements and typically denoted as AKI (antiknock index, RON+MON / 2)

In practical usage this means that a given fuel typically scores 4-6 points higher on the RON system than the AKI system.

14. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Leadfoot, But I am the least mechanical guy you've ever met. I wouldn't have a clue how to do all that.

15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That is a lot of Octane! :) So you guys run premium all the time. Yet Toyota recommends 87 octane. In the states, anyway.

16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    And the engine seemed quieter at idle too. When parked, in ready mode, and the AC running... the ICE kicked on it seemed smoother and quieter. Another unbelievable story! ;)

I'm not going to try and figure it out. I'm just going to enjoy it for however long it lasts. (But the bottom line is, go by what Toyota recommends in the owners manual.)

This is just an experiment with Premium fuel.

#16 Starship16, Jul 13, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hang on, weren't you hooked on mobil synergy in another life?:cool:

18. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes sir. But that was for all the new cleaning agents in the Synergy. I still like Mobil.

I don't know if any other premium brand of gas would have the same effect. I just chose Shell because it was mentioned in the Prime thread. Maybe premium Chevron would be quiet too? I don't know.

Well, I have nothing but time. :LOL: I can experiment with every brand of Premium. It will be interesting in the winter time, when California goes to the winter blend of gas. Maybe it won't be so quiet.

bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't even have time.:oops:

Starship16 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle: