1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Placebo Effect? V-Power "Nitro" After 113 Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Starship16, Jul 13, 2018.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    But that often is a false theory......because the engine does not "knock" with the lower octane fuel either, at full advance.

Starship16 likes this.
  2. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Probably true, for modern engines, since the introduction of unleaded fuel.
    TBH, I'm not sure if the Atkinson cycle knocks or if the Prius even has a knock sensor ?

alanclarkeau and Starship16 like this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Labeling inconsistency. Nearly every pump in the USA is marked as "up to 10%" so they don't have to clarify.

This has practical advantages for manufacturing. They can produce a low octane gasoline for uncut use at high elevation, then cut it with some ethanol to make regular, and more still for higher grade.

4. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ethanol-free is available at some stations, but usually it will be specifically labeled as ethanol free and around here actually has a completely separate hose for it. I tried it in my car and saw a 5 mile per gallon increase. The problem is it cost more to the point that the increase in fuel mileage did not cover the increase in cost. And it is only available at one specific station so is rather inconvenient to get.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got an additional problem with that: if your 5 mpg increase is accurate and replicable, that's a solid 10% increase, which puts a very large "elephant in the room": why are we adding a 10% gasoline substitute that's decreasing mpg by 10%. I would suspect/hope your mpg increase is less, or at the least that the Prius is maybe an outlier, more prone to mpg decrease with ethanol addition than the average. If this is the norm, how the heck did we get here?

RCO, alanclarkeau and Starship16 like this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0918.jpg

Just completed another drive. 92 miles today (113 yesterday.) Normal mode. Brisk driving. Some freeway, city streets, and through a hilly area of the coast. Can you spot what's unusual in those photos? It may not be unusual to you and your Prius, but it's very odd for mine.

The ICE felt smoother (if thats even possible) and somewhat quieter. Good power thru the hills. I gave her a good workout.

#46 Starship16, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  7. kens97uber171

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's added to make less pollution. Also its an inexpensive way to increases the Octane rating..
    My numbers were correct. I ran several tanks.. and saw.. 3-5mpg increase. I drive 800-1000 m miles a week. And my driving is pretty consistent.
    But the fuel cost more per gallon to the point it was basically break even.
    It's probably better for the car... But it's not better for my wallet... And since only one station in town has it, and that station closes at midnight.. and use the car at night mostly.. it was a hassle to keep it in the car.

8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It seems so in Californis. A sign says "Contains up to 10% ethenol." But it doesnt break it down by grades.

In my travels this morning, I went by a Shell starion and the price of Premium was no higher that what I was paying for 87 regular, nearer to home. I need to shop around.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_0919.jpg

Did that Shell Premium break my gas guage? :LOL: Mess up the MPG computer? It hasn't moved in 205 miles. ThIs has never happened before. Is that fake news? The poor girl doesnt know how to digest all that fancy expensive high octane! :ROFLMAO:

When using regular 87 grade. the guage will begin to move and start going down after only about 90-100 miles. What's up?

#49 Starship16, Jul 14, 2018
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For Mendel:
    Shell Canada › ca › Motorists › Shell fuels
    Shell V-Power NiTRO+ is effective in all gasoline-powered engines found in conventional, modern and hybrid vehicles as well as motorcycles, snowmobiles, and leisure marine vehicles. Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol.

And in the U.S.
    How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

How much ethanol is in gasoline, and how does it affect fuel economy? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

#50 Starship16, Jul 14, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. kens97uber171

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Starship16 likes this.
  12. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I found a website that lists some southern california gas stations that have no ethanol.
    Thanks. I just got done reading that website.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0919.jpg

I drove 205 miles so far. And the miles-to-empty display shows 509 miles remaining...???
    Can't be. Gotta be fake news. A computer glitch? A 714 mile tank? Not the way I drive... Impossible.

14. shrek

shrek New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    700 miles is possible with a Prius on a gas tank.
    this is really not that uncommon. but i do agree with you that normally the needle moves around 100 miles

Starship16 likes this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, thanks, I am aware that many forum members achieve a 600 or 700 mile tank. The best I have ever done was 589 miles and then the fuel light came on.

I'm just curious about the gas gauge. Very odd to stay there that long. It's probably nothing. Could the engine be adjusting to the high-octane somehow? And affecting the mpg computer?

16. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where I am, in Florida, all grades have "up to 10% ethanol." One station sell ethanol free stuff, I think 90 octane, which gives you about 3% better mpg with a modern engine with closed loop mixture control. The E-0 costs about 40% more, not a good deal. There are a few engines, like 50+ year old outboard motors that have shellac coated cork carb floats, which really need the ethanol free gas.

HPrimeAdvanced and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In a modern car, E0 should give only about 3% better mpg than E10. If the difference is greater (or smaller), something is wrong.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you fill to the first click? - It actually looks like you've got a broken gauge.

Starship16 likes this.
  19. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hard to see in the picture Alan, but the guage is all green. I heard the pump click off, and then I just added a few more cents to make it $28 even.

When it starts moving, it will be like a cannon ball falling off a cliff! :)

Or..... maybe I really will get my first 700 mile tank? I still dont believe the car's mpg numbers. And the miles-to-empty number is also barely moving.

#59 Starship16, Jul 14, 2018
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't worry - check what happens when you refill next. There are a few funny things in the computer. I put in ½ a tank once, taking it to a bit more than ½ - the Distance to Empty assumed I'd filled it up completely - though over the next 200km it sort-of sorted itself out, but was wildly wrong till the next fill.

RCO and Starship16 like this.