1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Placing order tomorrow, (*Update Car is in the garage)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brentmeister, Oct 16, 2007.

1. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well tomorrow morning will be the big day. I finally located a local fleet person that seems reasonable and somewhat honest. I have talked mysyelf into the touring model v. the regular model because the upgraded lights, suspension and alloy wheels are worth it - to me.

What I am torn about - is package 2 vs. pk 3. I keep cars for 10 years and the added options would be great. My question really is - Is the pk 3 really worth another $1,000. Is the bluetooth, upgraded alarm and upgraded stereo that much better? Is the upgraded rear-view mirror that much better?

We have two garage doors plus an entry gate, so it would be nice to get rid of the three remotes that I must carry currently...

Any advice is greatly appreciated-

Brent

2. gsatlanta

gsatlanta Southern Comfort

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In a word yes. I ordered a pkg 3 because after test driving a Prius with option 2 stereo I really felt that I want the better stereo; there is a significant difference in sound. The stereo however doesn't alone justifing the expense as you could OEM a stereo of better quality. I really like the rear view mirro with homelink. I live in a gated community and it is nice to press the button on the rear view mirror rather than digging for the gate remote. Be aware blue tooth capability not blue tooth itself is part of the package or at least that is how is was for my 2007. Blue tooth was another $290 which I decided against as I have a blue tooth headset which is just fine for hands free use while driving. I also feel that having a better alarm isn't a bad thing. You and I have the same objective regarding the length of car ownership and think the the added expense is worth it in the long run. I have no regrets with my Prius and enjoy driving it each day. Hopefully the dealer will order the wrong package like they did me (option 6 - nav system) and absorbed the cost of their mistake.

3. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had originally planned to get a pkg 2, but when a pkg 3 Touring became available, I took it and I've not been sorry. The homelink mirror works great (although I think you can buy it as an option & have it put on later.) both for opening doors & for the automatic dimming.

I'm not an audiophile, so can't comment on the sound quality for radio, but it is nice to be able to load more CD at a time. As to bluetooth - I NEVER talk on the phone in my car (while the car is moving), so it doesn't matter to me. I guess if I lived somewhere where I spent a lot of time in rush hour traffic, I would appreciate the bluetooth thing more.

4. Ed Hamilton

Ed Hamilton New Member

I purchased package 4. I wanted 3 for the additional items it offered over 2 but the dealer told me that in this area (AZ and CA) they could not get package 3 so none of the cars in his inventory had 3. No problem, I liked 4 just as well.

5. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Oct 16 2007, 07:30 AM) [snapback]526259[/snapback]</div>
    I love my 2007 package 2. I also hear that both stereo's are overall pretty poor sounding, I added a subwoofer to mine and it improved the sound tremendously. I feel that the bluetooth is overrated and what happens in 2 or 3 years when something out is better then bluetooth and you end up having to buy a prehistoric cell phone so that it works well with your car. Also in the 15,000 miles i've driven mine I never wished I had the automatic dimming mirror because coincidentally enough the crossbar in the rear windshield just happens to be at the perfect height to block the headlights of tailgaters. Either way though you will love your Prius.

6. holycow99

holycow99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Oct 16 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]526259[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the price difference between #2($575) and #3($2105) is $1530, according to edmunds.com. No?

7. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holycow99 @ Oct 16 2007, 08:26 AM) [snapback]526292[/snapback]</div>

You are correct - I was just rounding, not being exact...

8. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Toletiquesbysam

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Personally, I think you go with your gut and it sounds like your leaning to #3. We have #2 and love it, I don't need the extra's but if you plan on keeping the car for 10+ years you need to be happy with it!

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For me, the $1530 difference is a lot of money for minor conveniences that I couldn't possibly care less about.

It seems to me that so far you're spending your extra money on items that really matter: the Touring edition, which fixes the base Prius' worst feature --- handling; and package 2, which is the sweet spot for packaged safety features --- VSC and back-up camera.

Looked at another way, I'd rather save the $1530 for more important items. For example, I think the $1530 would more or less buy you the 7 years/100,000 miles Platinum Care Extended Warranty from this site, the BT Tech Stiffening Plate, and premium grade tires if and when you decide to replace the OEMS.

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We agonized over the same decision. My wife didn't care for Bluetooth, I did. I didn't care for backup camera, she did. So in the end we got #3 so that everybody's happy. Turns out my wife now loves the Bluetooth and I'm so glad we have the backup camera.

The only downside (for me) is the "premium" JBL system. I ended up spending quite a bit of time (and money) to fix it up to the way I like it. Of course, your taste and requirements may differ.

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brentmeister @ Oct 16 2007, 04:30 AM) [snapback]526259[/snapback]</div>
    It really comes down to your personal preferences. How badly do you want to get rid of your collection of garage door remotes? How handy would Bluetooth be to you? How much of a stereo buff are you? One consideration in California for Bluetooth is that in July, 2008, drivers will need to have some form of hands-free cellular connection (either Bluetooth or a headset of some sort). No more driving and holding the cell phone to their ear.... I personally question the validity of requiring a hands-free cellular connection, since it is not the absence of one hand on the steering wheel that has caused so many accidents, it was the lack of concentration on driving the car while talking on the cell phone that caused the accidents....

Oh, and BTW, are you getting your car in Oklahoma, or TX?

12. grimpy

grimpy New Member

I was torn between package #2 and #3 as well. I ended up going with package #3 and am really happy I did. The stereo upgrade is nice but I I end up using the bluetooth feature much more than I thought I would. The security system also makes me feel better about strange parking lots.

I probably would have been content with package #2 but I'm really happy I went with #3.

13. 07seaside

07seaside New Member

I ended up with a package #2 -partly because all the dealer ordered was 2's and 6's and partly because I didn't feel the extra $$ was getting me much more that I wanted. I'm content with what I did.
    Good luck - I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up ordering.

14. lgamber1

lgamber1 New Member

i would buy the package 3 just for the bluetooth. it is probably my favorite feature! bluetooth = awesome!

15. mamerica

mamerica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought the Package 2 but within a week I ordered a a mirror and the VIP alarm and installed them both myself. If you are handy you can save a lot of money with a DIY project. I paid $111.25 for the alarm including glass breakage sensor. I paid $110.00 for an OEM auto-dimming mirror with homelink.

I think the stock radio sounds OK but I don't play it very loud. I never really considered the blue tooth. I guess if I used the car for business I might want it.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the car no matter what you decide.

16. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am now the owner of a new 2008 Prius - classic silver, base model with package 2, Homelink and an upgraded alarm... I can't thank all of you enough for your help and advice.

I went to the local dealership to place my order with the fleet guy, fortunately I looked at the numbers and discovered nearly $1,000 in hidden charges - they were actually going to charge me for holdback and 1% interest on the MSRP - I really don't want to go into it... Needless to say, I just picked up my stuff and walked out. The guy immediately started calling me on my cell and I just let it roll to voicemail... I was depressed and had resigned myself to a Honda of some sort - I was going to start researching the weekend...

A colleague recently bought an FJ Cruiser and I was venting to him at lunch yesterday after returning from the dealership. He suggested that I stop off at this very small - mom and pop dealership where he bought his FJ Cruiser. He said they were a small dealership/low overhead and they were eager to please. I had very low expectations.. I stopped in, lucked into the sales manager, showed him my paperwork and explained how frustrated I was.... He asked me to step into his office while he checked on something. He announced that he had a silver base, package 2 (with a bunch of other options like paint sealer, fabric sealer, tint, and pin stripes) and he said that he would sell it to me for $1,000 cheaper than the other place. Needless to say, I was suspicious - but 45 minutes later, I left with the car.

After being treated like a dog at three other dealerships and being lied to - I finally found someone that was decent to deal with. The place just had a different feel compared to the other three dealerships - it could have been the time of day but I honestly think theses people are a cut above most of the DFW Toyota dealerships...

In any event I got the car and a bunch of the credit for the great deal goes to all of you guys on here. You guys (and ladies) have been great and I sincerely appreciate your help, guidance and mentoring. Persistence pays and you have to be assertive enough to tell the (very convincing) sales people NO!

If anyone wants a referral in the DFW area, please send me a private message - I will give you all of my numbers and you can even call me on my cell if needed. I would be glad to help others as I was helped.

BTW- I managed to AVG 55MPG on the 15 mile trip home. I managed about 51 until I got into my neighborhood and then was able to make the last 1.5 miles on electric (at least the display said 99 mpg) @ 20 mph.

I couldn't be any happier! Thanks again Prius Chat!!!!!!!!!! ;)

17. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congratulations! You will love the car. I had a similar experience except the dealership wanted to lowball the trade-in. It was an 05 Prius that I was upgrading to an 08! Instead of a trade 20 miles from home, I traded 100 miles from home.
    The local trade was for an 07 Touring without leather. I ordered and traded for an 08 Touring loaded , for a little over $3000 LESS. So much for keeping tax dollars local.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good for you for walking out on the crap dealers. Too many of us take it in the rear out of intimidation and desire to 'just get it done'. I, too, have walked away from my share of dealers..usually the finance guy as it turns out..but found a great guy here locally for the purchase of our Prius and Highlander Hybrid. He has, since, moved on so I don't know who I'm going to use for my next purchase. I just can't stand being treated like I'm stupid or being deceived.

Congrats on your new car. Take the time to absorb and dog-ear important parts of the owner's manual and be sure to look through the 'stickies' here at Priuschat. Also, go to john1701a.com and download his user's guide...lots of good info that's difficult to extract from the OEM manual as well as some excellent suggestions to get you off to a good start with the new car.

19. brentmeister

brentmeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 17 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]526781[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks very much. I'll got to the site now and read the information - I planned to read the manual this afternoon...

Brent

20. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 17 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]526781[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know if there is an honest Toyota Dealer out there any more. In my quest to finally move out of my beloved classic '02, I have visited a total of 6 different dealers in Arkansas. (should've bought before moving out of Texas.) None were worth the day each took out of my time. They all have lot monkeys that hover around you when you drive in, and none of them can do anything but take your order. I did not find one that had any knowledge to impart, and it always came down to having to deal with the sales manager before I walked out. I am amazed at how many dealers are selling their used '04 and '05's at near or more than original cost. Example: an '04 at one dealer was being sold for $21,500. and it still had the orignial window sticker in the glove box that listed it as selling for $21,900. I am still on my quest and still getting 48 to 51 mpg without any payments to make, but missing the hatchback and fold down seats to carry my two little girls.
    English Bulldogs. With the hatchback, I could actually carry the dogs and humans at the same time.
    BTW, both girls are in a family way and we expect the pitter patter of 64 little feet this Thanksgiving.
    As for Used Prii, I am now looking seriously at EBay of all places. Auto Trader shows only 7 used in Arkansas, but lots at decent prices are out there. Just being careful to not get one that has been wrecked or has huge mileage. Seems to be lots of them on EBay also....... jf :unsure: