1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plan to buy second hand Prius 2004 in Cambodia

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Vanne, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really worry that all my friends talk about bad performance and batteries issues they
    Always said it not good on batteries and it too low on the body
    My country no toyota dealer but have a shop who can check the system of modern car by computer
    So what should I do ? Buy or not ?
    Pleas please HELP HELP advice me for detail

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The gen2 Prius was built very well and should prove reliable ASSUMING it hasn't been tampered with or repaired/bodged by someone not knowing what they were doing.

The car has average ground clearance for a compact hatchback so I guess it depend on what sort of roads you'll be taking it on.

The Prius is good at giving warnings if there is a fault, so if no warning lights are lit and the HV battery fan isn't blowing hard through the vent on the back seat, then you should be ok to take your chances. You might want to replace the 12v battery if you can't establish when it was last replaced or at least double check that it holds a good charge otherwise you might get weird error messages.

Otherwise, you'll enjoy the nice quiet ride the Prius gives and will have fun surprising pedestrians as you silently sneak up on them.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved out of the news forum to the Gen II forum.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a very bad idea to buy a Prius if you live in a country where you do not have trained service technicians and cannot easily obtain replacement spare parts. It would be OK to purchase it if you have so much money that your purchase of this car is for fun and you don't mind if it fails, cannot be repaired and you end up donating it to a museum or towing it to your local salvage yard.

Prius electronics are far more complex than can be found in a typical "modern car". It is quite likely that your local shop, if it does not have access to the Toyota Techstream service laptop or equivalent, will not be able to adequately determine problems logged by, for example, the hybrid vehicle ECU, the traction battery ECU, the skid control ECU, the transmission control ECU, etc. If you have any doubt about this assertion then I encourage you to obtain the Prius factory repair manual which is several thousand pages in length, and review the diagnostics section.

In the United States, the single largest Prius market outside Japan, it is easy to encounter lackluster service provided by Toyota dealerships which supposedly have trained and qualified service technicians on staff. Once the car's warranty has expired, most major repairs will cost thousands of US dollars. You can find many examples of this posted on PriusChat.

Do not underestimate how hard it will be to get a Prius or other Toyota hybrid serviced, if you do not have this basic service infrastructure available to you.

5. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks you very much wong , I have budget around 13k and the Prius car second Hand
    2004 sell around 14k if you don't mind would you recommend me to buy other brand ?

6. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Vanne,

I don't think too many brands can compare with the Prius--just read the 200k threads. I think it is a good buy if it had less than 75k on the engine. How many miles does it have? If you do get it, make sure you turn up the AC to combat the heat/humidity over there. I am from Laos, and I plan to ship my Prius there in 2015. I just hope the taxes aren't so high. Last, how much does gas cost there?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is gasoline there?

8. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks you kammm anyways the tax in Cambodia are 100% of the car prices example your car price about 10k so the tax is 10k so you need to pay full and you must sell in 21k to get the benefit
    The gasoline in Cambodia is expensive then other country in the world is around 1.25$ per liter

9. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1.25$ Per liter

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cambodia is a hot climate, and that can cause problems for the HV batteries. Many of the threads posted here on PC complaining of early battery failures come from hot places. Any repairs on the car will be difficult without access to parts and hybrid trained technicians. I agree with Patrick above, and would strongly suggest another option.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $1.25 x 3.8 = $4.75/gallon. we're paying around $3.75 - $4.00 right now. how many miles per year do you drive? city? highway?

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree completely with Patrick Wong. It is a poor choice because there is too much in a Prius that the mechanics in your area won't be familiar with.

One way to pick a car would look at traffic and notice what cars are popular there, the more popular they are the more likely you are to be able to find parts and competent service.

I looked at some Phonm Penh car ads online. Toyota is very popular. Toyota Corollas and Camrys are excellent cars. The Corolla is the more economical one of the two.

13. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    O
    Now Prius car are most popular in phnom penh

14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd have thought it would be cheaper, but try $2.10 a litre :(

Vanne likes this.
  15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $1.25/liter would make anyone in Europe deliriously happy.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick's right. Bad car to own with no junk yard parts readily available and no dealership support.
    I know you want one because gas is expensive but all that savings will quickly evaporate with one repair not to mention if its complicated you may not be able to get the car back on the road quickly. Bad used car choice in your country.

Try older Toyota Camry. There excellent very trouble free cars.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most popular and no dealer? where do they come from?

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are likely very used Japan domestic market vehicles that are approaching the age when they can no longer be licensed in Japan without passing a very costly inspection process. Hence, rather than end up in a salvage yard, they are shipped to other countries where right-hand-drive is OK and the vehicle licensing process is more relaxed.

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My understanding is that RHD cars are now illegal in LHD Cambodia, though many RHD cars do find their way over the border. Not sure how long they stay like that or if they get away with it.

Perhaps they should change back to RHD and be able to access many more vehicle options available from Thailand and Japan?