1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planet Green & Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by orracle, Jun 17, 2008.

1. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just watched a cool show on the new channel called "Wa$ted" where they show a family how to save money, reduce energy costs and lower their carbon footprint.

They gave the family a Prius to drive and mom really enjoyed it. The teenage boys, thought their SUV's were cooler.:mad:

8 vehicles for 4 people!!

2. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, that episode has been on a couple of times already, and the channel has only been on for about a week.

The whole car thing was sad, but then again so was the 33% drop in their foot-print. Even after all their "cuts" (which were mostly simple feel good things), their footprint was incredibly huge. 80 acres should be enought o support alot more than four people.

Don't get me wrong, every little bit helps and we all have to start somewhere, but that show left me with the feeling that those people had gone about as far as they were going to go. You know, cut back on paper towels, use compact fluorescent bulbs, turn lights off when not in use, and try and keep the fridge door closed. All good stuff, but they didn't get themselves around to the point of sustainability.

I really do wonder what it's going to take to get those kids to realize that those SUVs aren't so "cool". Or that some of the other changes might be necessary.

Sorry for the rant....

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When those teens have to buy their own gas for the SUVs, they may get a clue...

4. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think the Pri should have been presented differently to the boys--look guys! It's just like a video game on wheels! The object is to get the highest mpg on each tank that you can!

I agree though, that the family still is WAY over what they need to be consuming. Clearly money wasn't an issue.

5. MO Dale

MO Dale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My jaw dropped every time they mentioned their various wastes...the paper towels, 9,000 sq ft house, and all the vehicles. The husband said he would try and ride his motorcycle to help out, and then admitted he didn't use it even once. They are a lovely picture of American excess!