1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planetary Wave Resonance

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 28, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep45242

. . . the Northern Hemisphere summer have been shown to be associated with the presence of high-amplitude quasi-stationary atmospheric Rossby waves within a particular wavelength range (zonal wavenumber 6–8). The underlying mechanistic relationship involves the phenomenon of quasi-resonant amplification (QRA) of synoptic-scale waves with that wavenumber range becoming trapped within an effective mid-latitude atmospheric waveguide. Recent work suggests an increase in recent decades in the occurrence of QRA-favorable conditions . . .​

Looks to be an interesting read of an open paper.

You can really see these waves in images from: Watch Earth Spin Through a Full Year in This Spectacular Time-Lapse Video

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    wxman likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Rossby waves have also recently been detected on the Sun.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    DARN!

It may be possible to predict the solar flux if they are a feedback mechanism. The Russian papers about a solar minimum in the next "n" cycles might have a basis in fact.

Bob Wilson

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are several predictions of future sunspot cycles. Most (perhaps all?) so far are based on extrapolation of low-frequency signals in the previous 24 cycles. Which are all we know with useful temporal resolution. So, empirical not mechanistic.

Mechanistic is going to be quite a challenge, given that no one yet can explain why the magnetic field reverses so regularly. Or at all. I mean, dang...

I've a few things pulled together for a new solar cycle thread here. Sooner or later that will get triggered - either by a new interesting publication or solar event.