1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planing CanView and BMS+ conversion with lithium

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Mr-plugin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Zero,no. We are in winter. 38km is possible in summer in 100%Ev mode.

For this trip, I used 0,21L of what we called SP95 and 3,7kWh; 16,9Ah

So 0,55 L/100km ( 427 mpg)

I need engine because weather is cold (3 to 4°C) and in order to demist the windshield.

:)

Edit. Perkins bms (wich I use) consumption is close to 0,5mA. With 20ah you can use it during 40 000 hours or 1666 Days or ... Years :eek:

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    SP95 a unleaded octane 95 ;-)

427mpg YEHAAA

0,5 mAmps per cell or in total?

edit:
    it apears that the 8m ( no logging ) only draws 20ma, 13ma ( screen turned off but still working ) in sleep mode and 500uAmps when the minus is disconnected. thats better. ;-)

3. planetaire

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The consumption is 0,5 mA or 500uA.
    0,5mA for one cell at 3,3v And 0,5mA for 70 cells at 230v.

4. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never used the 8M module but it does appear that the blank screen problem is with the 8S version.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a you got all 8s's and mr plugin got 1 8s and others 8m ;-)

maybe the blank screen got something to do with the mod? the mod where you connect the pins?7-8 ( or was it 1-2 )

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can try doing a firmware upgrade of the CellLog8S. It is a long shot but it may do the job of fixing the blank screen problem.

Need to download Upgrader.exe from www.jun-si.com/uploadfiles/upgrader.rar

7. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i have found these small en cheap balancing boards for A123
    only problem is that its also stated its for Li-poly but looking at the voltages its for lifepo4

Astro Flight Blinky A123 Balancer

but maybe i just at first connect 12 of these Imax B6 balance chargers
    i can balance and charge the cells .. it wil take some more time but then i can see what i do with the big charger and have some time to figure things out and still be able to drive ;-)

edit
    then again those Imax B6 RC chargers lose 20% only 80% eff.

8. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I tried, I have the latest and greatest. But thanks for the Idea.;)

9. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I measured on the most negative wire, so that should be for the whole Celllog. 3.2*8= 25.6v or about 5ma per cell.

10. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Below is a picture of an Elcon PFC using a serial-CanBus interface device.

[IMGLINK[​IMG]][/IMGLINK]

Note that, for this to work:
    • The ElCon charger must come with the optional CAN bus module
    • The Lithiumate controller must have software revision 1.07 and up
    • The CAN module does not include a CAN termination: an external termination resistor is required
    • The CAN module occupies the 7-pin control connector, yet that connector is required to detect AC presence; therefore, you need to open the 7-pin connector and bring out wires
    • CAN module built before July 2011 cannot handle being on buses that contain more than 2 messages per second!
      • Too many messages on the CAN bus slow down the ElCon charger, reducing the rate of its output messages, and may crash the charger, which will seize the CAN bus
    • The ElCon charger CAN rate is 250 kHz by default and not user programmable (though it can be special ordered at other speeds)
    Here is a Emus BMS which uses a Canbus.

http://www.elektromotus.lt/files/Wiring_Diagram_for_Emus_BMS_v1.pdf

http://www.elektromotus.lt/files/EMUS_BMS_users_manual_rev_1.pdf

1 person likes this.
  11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there are 2 versions

A: version with canbus interface where you set the voltage and amps
    B: version without canbus but whit a analog voltage wire where you can control amps output based on 2 ( 0 amps ) and 5 volts ( 100% amps so 5 amps in this case )

in the manual is the info about that!
    the chargers putsout 12 volt on pin? X and there is a input wire where you can direct that 12 volt to when its direct connected the charger wil work at full 100% amps but when it drops down below 5 volts it wil also drop its current.
    when its below 2 volts it will stop charging.
    between 2 and 5 volts is where you set 0-100% current.

8-2
    Control mode : ENABLE CONTROL
    1. Charging process: Constant current (this current is controllable) charging mode is applied first, then constant voltage charging when the battery reaches the specified voltage point. The voltage does not increase in the constant voltage stage and the charge current will gradually reduce. Charging ceases automatically when the current falls to a preset value (generally one tenth of maximum charging current). If ENABLE signal is removed at any time, charging ceases.
    2. The ENABLE/+12V wires can be used to control the charger by an ON/OFF signal from a battery management system.
    3. Alternatively the voltage between ENABLE and GND can be used to linearly control the charger output current.
    When it is above 2V, charger commences charging. Applying 2~5V can control the maximum output current.
    Below 1.5V the charger will cease charging, re-applying above 2V will re-enable charging.

http://faktor.de/images/pdf//LAD/POWPFC1bis8kWSpec.pdf

1 person likes this.
  12. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

This will be handy to set the output current to aprox. 1 amps to top balance my A123 battery pack using my miniBMS.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no prop
    i did not now you did not know about that otherwise i would have stated it before.
    this option make its possible to use cheap balance boards to top balance the cells
    those board bleed away at 250mAmps
    i first use the charger at 5 amps or so to go up to 3,6 or something in that area and then when a celllog detects a cell that above 3,6 it wil trip a relay not to shutoff the charger but to put a resistor over that current control and get it down so the bleeding boards can balance the cells
    i maybe use a timer orso to shutoff the charger over time
    otherwise i need to double the cellogs.... dont wanna do that.

14. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cant waok great
    so your going to manuel adjust the current down to what you want for top balacing.?
    or are you going to use your minii bms to not shutoff but put the charger in low current mode for top balacing? and leave it there until you shut it of?

when are you going to install this pot meter? cant wait to hear your experience ;-)

16. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To disable the miniBMS HVC would be stupid as it protects the battery pack from overcharge. In my case I can reset charging after HVC by turning on ignition and then switch off ignition. Then I can just adjust pot to about 0.75 amps to top balance. You only need to top balance every now and then when a cell or two are low. I will send a email to Michael Cheung from EVassemble.com to see if it is OK to do.

17. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ein the time your using the cells now how many times did you notice that you would need to balance?
    1 time a week or month

edit
    my battery pack build is going steady but slow
    maybe ending next week i have the cells connected inside a box
    after that i stil have to work on the relay... etc etc well al electronics ;-) so i geuss a few weeks from now if al go's well i maybe have my first drive.

there is 1 problem the bleeding boards are out of stock for the 72 ones i need..
    also other adresses max 32 pieces...
    so i am back at start point on that one...

edit
    looking at the cell-log 8m hobbyking got a good price 14,28 dollar
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10952

18. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to say. My cells get a bit of top balancing at the end of every charge so I have not needed to top balance yet. I have only been using the battery pack for about a month. Planetaire would have been using his pack a lot longer so he may have a better idea of how often a battery pack needs to be balanced.

19. planetaire

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The answer is not easy.

I drive since more then 4 months with lithium packs and 254 kWh have gone in and out from these 70 cells.
    That is more then 66 charges, most of them full and some partial.
    I always balance cells except when, during some day, I have not enough time to fully charge them.
    Balancing may be very different from one phev to an other.
    It first depend on the difference betwen your best capacity cells and the worst.

When using our Prius without any gasoline, the lower cells will give the distance. I don't think that balancing will change a lot, if the end-voltage of all cells is over 3.4v (with for example 2A).

When using for longer trips, we use cells more often when they are depleted. It would be better doing a bottom balance, in order to have not too much voltage difference between cells.

The best is to sort your cells by capacity if you buy a little more as I suggest, and use the closest (best or not !)
    You will see how often you need balancing, depending on your cells and the distance you need.

May I suggest using different wires for balancing and for measuring voltage. If not, you will have a voltage drop in wire when shunt is on and the voltage read will be lower. That can make an oscillation with less amperage then wanted. This average Amp could be lower then the charger amperage :mad:

:)

1 person likes this.
  20. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok mm
    wel in the mean time i have found a cheaper version of teh cellog-8m
    the BVM-8s
    RC Model BVM-8S 1-8 Cell Battery Voltage Meter Tester Alarm Li NiCd NiMH Black | eBay

the case build is going a bit slower then i would like to see
    the tabs are going to be compressed together.
    over the 2 tabs ( 1 of MIN and one PLUS ) i put 0,8mm tick sheet of aluminum. so i have the side where the 2 tabs touch and the opposite side with the alu sheet and then i have double and max contact area
    the cells are compress in a housing betrween 2 sheets of 7mm strong trespa.

today i drillled 176 holes trough the sheets of plastic material i am going to compress the tabs together with