1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planing CanView and BMS+ conversion with lithium

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Mr-plugin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    GREAT!! hope you succeed
    and please tell us ( me ;-) ) (asap :) )

the dealer in germany told me they do not change the setting of the chargers they provide
    its a 240 vdc nom charger with a max of 292 volts dc
    dont now what that means... can i charge up to 292 volts? but then wy is that nom of 240 votls there if i can charger cells up to 292 volts....

http://faktor.de/images/pdf//LAD/POWPFC1bis8kWSpec.pdf\

also they aparenly dont SET the charger just ship with standard setting.... dont get that
    the charger needs to be set to my battery pack voltage
    or wil it auto detect based on measure voltage from the pack

edit
    now i understand pfff this charger is ONLY for 240 volt nom pack voltage
    i expected that i get the charger from that german company close to my pack voltage and then they set it to the right voltage before shipping
    for some reason they say that a lifepo4 is 3 volts nominal?? so its for a 80 cells battery pack

edit
    found a link to adjust the end voltage
    http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/elcon-charger-voltage-adjust-51100.html
    cant get the pdf am not a member!!

edit
    all celllogs are on its way lets hope some already get here tomorrow so i start testing

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That would explain why my charger will not go onto CV mode. A 232v battery will never reach 240v to go into CV mode. The HVC event will always occur before it can reach 240V.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow i already was thinking this but micheal told me that he needed 10-14 days to SET my charger.. so i expected it would be special voltage set to my need.
    did you not tell him what voltages you needed?
    thats bad.... not good..
    so now you need to open it up because sending it back would cost you and you lose the charger for some time.
    the 240 volt nom and 80 cells at 3 volts remark was from the german company not from micheal but you get it from him and your not getting to your CV state... so..

edit
    is it bad that the charger is not going in to CV? if the celllogs detect a high cell it wil shutoff the charger and i can do a low current charge where energy is bleeded off with my bleeding boards ar 200mAmps
    so i can still use that 240 volts nom and 292 max voltage charger that one is in stock and i can get it in a few days.,

edit
    but if evassemble also does not set the charger like the germany company is doing then i can just as well just buy that geman chargers and use the current control and bleeding boards and cellogs to prevent high voltage.

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's ok, except that if your celllog fails to terminate charging your cells will be charged to 4.17V, that would probably be terminal.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes i dont like it at all...
    and my first questio i asked is that i have 72 cells at 3,3 nom and if i could use that charger...they say yes... but that was just sales talk..

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good point. I remember Mr Plug-in saying he could never get CV mode either using his Elcon charger, even after balancing the whole pack by connecting all cells in parallel for 24 hours.

Maybe we could try 76 cells like PIS and then we might get CV mode. But I think that this high voltage may cause Hybrid ECU to engage aggressive ICE or throw a DTC. What does Planetaire think about using 76 cells? I do not want to go down the path of modifying my Elcon charger.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so your ot the only one with that problem
    mmmmm not nice from the Elcon guys.
    i have 72 cells .. well i got 2 extra so get to 74 ;-) but still to low and dont want to do that i have no reserve and the voltage wil get really high.
    and doing that just because a charger is delivered in a wrong way i would say the problem needs to be solved where you buy them from.

8. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I have never seen it go into CV stage with my pack. But it is set up properly. I was fixing A 2003 prius that the guys fuel pump went out and not knowing what was going on he drove it with the red triangle until the battery was dead enough that it would not start the car. I used my Elcon charger to get his Oem pack charged enough do diagnose it and repair the car. Since the 2003 Prius pack is larger it did go into CV and shut off at the proper voltage set up for 3.6v and 72 cells that I asked for. But even with well balanced lithium, that I think mine are it is hard to get 1 cell from going high and shutting off the charger before it goes into cv stage without a top balancer set up. My Enginer kit would never go into Cv charging untill I put in the MINI BMS board. I will now see Enginer charger drop to 4-5 amps before I see the Enginer BMS shut the charger off due to a high voltage cell.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you want your charger to go into CV stage I recommend if you have 72 cells, have the charger set up for say 70-71 cells. You will not quite get 100% full charge but if you reach the CV stage it would be close and the last 10% I hear is not that much capacity. Some one would have to try it and let us know. Just my 2 cents;)

9. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  10. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Mr Plug-in,

I will install 2 more cells. See if it will go into CV mode.

I have done my current control modification and it works. There is a bit of a response time delay when adjusting pot but it works. So I am now top balancing with 0.5 amps with my miniBMS for an hour or so. Just fine tuning.

1 person likes this.
  11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    can you see if you can go below 500 mAmps? I need 200 for my bleeding boards.

12. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mr plugin you have 72 cells setup? I read you asked your charger to be set to 72 cells?

13. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It goes to 0.1 amps. My EV display meter will not measure any lower as it can only measure to one decimal point.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    great...
    what's the use for 2 cells more its only to charge the last 10% ? in cv mode..
    is it not better to charge to 90% for battery life?

15. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Flan said. If the BMS fails to do the HVC event the charger will overcharge the whole battery pack and you would probably need to replace all the cells. But if it goes into CV mode first it will not overcharge the pack. It is all about protecting the battery pack from overcharging and over discharging.

16. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is an analogic modification. You have to open the charger. The waranty is lost then.

It is really better sending 2 to 5v between pin 1 and 2. A bms can do this and then control end-voltage charging. It can too reduce amperage when one cell have a shunt on when balancing begin.

Thank you FlyingWhite and LopezJm. The abliilty to control amperage is exactly what I needed in order to charge during 8 hours during night or the quickest possible during day (4h). And controling amperage allows voltage control too, both are linked

Adjusting the charging curve number is decribed here. But how can this number been changed ? :eek:

2 people like this.
  17. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    iamps also controlles voltage?
    you mean at 0,200amps the voltage wil not go up to the end voltage?
    its only a current control?

edit
    i got the cell logs today ( wel 4 of them, 1 more to arive today and 4 from the UK this week )
    i did some reading and found some disturbing stuff about the sleep mode ( its useless )

the alarm in sleep mode does not work.
    ---
    I had my CellLog8 watching over the pack. But what I found on both my CellLogs was that in the "sleep" mode they truely went to sleep because when I woke them up the alarm sounded. To my shock 2 cells were at 4.4v.
    --http://www.ebikeforum.com/electric-bike-scooter/143606-great-deal-thunder-sky-lifepo4-20ah-4.html

edit
    ok did a test and the beep go's out but the alarm output relay keeps working

edit
    the music and log logging message at startup can be removed in the menu
    and i see that i dont need those JCT-XH cable that is hard to find but just use computer ( have to look up the name ) mainboard plugs.

edit
    mine are version 2.0.7 and i hope thats the latets because these are not upgradeable ( well not with the usb port )

18. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, when amperage equal zero, charger voltage equal cells total voltage.
    At the opposite, when charger send the maximum amperage there is a delta V in wires, connectors... charger voltage is a little over cells voltage.

You need a bms or an external electronic device (or manuel action) that manage the voltage between pin 1 and 2.

Edit.
    4,4v :(? Do you control with a voltmeter ?

19. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (its not my post .. link is below the copy out of that topic ;-) )

mmm well that still wil not work because as you say if a cellogs fails it wil keep on going....
    dammit now i have to wait for 3 weeks at least to get one adjusted to my needs..

20. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like my Elcon charger is setup for a BMS with a HVC of 3.8v. My mniBMS has a HVC of 3.6v. It looks like it may be a simple matter of changing the charge curve selection for a HVC of 3.6v. The charge curve selection instructions are a bit vague and I do not know which set of charge curve choices have been programmed onto the charger. Apparently it has a choice of 10 charge curves but there are 7 sets which could have been programmed into the charger. I will email Mochael.