1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planing CanView and BMS+ conversion with lithium

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Mr-plugin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have just recently upgraded my EV display unit from Version 2 to Version 3 (www.cleanpowerauto.com) The new Version 3 has a data logging ability via a miniUSB port which Version 2 does not have. I have datalogged my trip to work in OutOfGas mode which took 40 minutes and 9.3AH of energy out of my PHEV battery pack. The datalogging started after charging my PHEV battery pack overnight.
    I have made a graph to show the difference between the current measured by the OEM NiMH battery ECU which was logged by my Duinomite Mega Canview and the current measured/logged by the EV display unit V3. The EV display unit only measures current going in and out of the PHEV battery pack. You can get a pretty good idea as to how little current (about 20% of total) is being supplied by the OEM NiMH battery when in parallel with the PHEV Lifepo4 40AH battery pack.
    OEM NiMH and PHEV.jpg

Attached Files:

2. wb9k

wb9k 09 Gen II Prius w Hymotion Plug-In Batt

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice! Sounds like everything is holding up OK so far?

Curious, does the car have any more pep in OOG mode with the PHEV battery compared to if only the OEM battery was present?

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I can assert that my converted 2008 Prius has a little more " hummp" in acceleration while in electric at take off; in OOG mode of course.

4. SynEco@eVehicle.co.nz

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you make a "DELTA" Graph from the two ??

5. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The kit is still going well. So far so good. I guess it does have more pep in OOG mode due to having less voltage drop when the Prius is sucking up 120 amps during take off.

Soh likes this.
  6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  7. SynEco@eVehicle.co.nz

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  8. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I may attempt to answer this question. So I have attempted to put this same/similar question to the PIP section of the forum since we are using our Gen2 Prius like as if they are a stock PIP. And got this answer.

Strategy of Driving the PiP Effectively | Page 4 | PriusChat

They also report that the PIP has a max EV speed of 64MPH or 103KPH. So I guess the PIP may have a bigger electric motor.

dave77 likes this.
  9. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be exhibiting my Prius with my home grown PHEV kit this Saturday 12 October 2013 at the EV festival in Canberra, Australia. Hope to see some Aussie Priuschat members there.

[email protected] likes this.
  10. SynEco@eVehicle.co.nz

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The restriction on EV speed is due to RPM limits on MG sets if ICE is NOT spinning. by spinning ICE ( without burn fuel) High speed EV mode speeds are possible .. This is how Ewert PHEV 100km/hr EV mode operates by commanding ICE spin to the ICE ECU when in EV mode.
    Not sure how PiP implements 103 km/hr but if engineered same as standard PRIUS they may simply be also using ICEspin EV mode also ??

Would be interesting to know if the PiP Invertor also get around the 24kw Invertor limit from the battery supply in its PHEV mode. Does anyone know what current the PiP can pull from its PHEV pack??

donbright and dave77 like this.