1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planing CanView and BMS+ conversion with lithium

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Mr-plugin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my springs that were going to take 2 days to make, are here and installed 3 weeks later. It is nice the rear end of my car does not sag anymore. Of course my charger has still not shipped. I guess at least they have not taken my money.

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have all of your batteries put together? I replaced the 32 resistors on the Mini Bms board and replaced the 2 Lm239s and all is working well. At least my Enginer kit will stay balanced now.

4. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My Elcon charger is now arriving tomorrow. My battery packs have been built, just need to get my Anderson plugs which I also had ordered from EVassemble which should also arrive tomorrow. You can see photos in earlier posts of this thread. Are you using your Enginer kit with your lithium BMSplus? The lithium pack would make a good energy buffer for the Enginer kit which should output a nice constant 16 amps.

5. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am just using my Enginer kit until I get the lithium setup up and running.

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess if you do not need the extra range you do not need it. In your case you could easily install the two Enginer battery packs and charger in the tyrewell. There should be plenty of room for the converter above the tyrewell. You can ditch the Enginer box.

7. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are some photos of my BMSplus lithium battery kit. The complete kit is designed so that it can all be unplugged after removing 100A PHEV service fuse and easily remove all compoenents and then bench test/repair in a workshop. I will post more photos later when I have a faster internet connection. I think I have used up all my photo server memory allocation.

My PHEV control box includes a 75mV 200A shunt to be hooked up to my notebook computer via my USB DMM so I can log the lithium pack battery current. It is all still work in progress.

I can setup my Enginer converter to an operating voltage of 230V @ 240Vmax to top balance my 230Volt lithium battery pack using my miniBMS.

Attached Files:

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking good John! Do you have a signal cable between each miniBMS board or are they all independent?

9. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Flan,

I am using a miniBMS head end board. Two loop wires from each slave board are all connected in series to the head end board. The head end board will be installed into the control box.

10. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok that makes sense, just couldn't see the loop wires in your picture.

I like the fact it's quick disassemble and removable, have you put in some sort of frame to restrain them in the car? I think you may end up with the worlds first 2 seater prius... :D

11. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of cutting back to one Enginer kit to free up space. Just do a Version 6 Enginer kit installation (ditch the box) which will reduce weight. Otherwise I could end up having the world's first Prius utility. Still thinking on how to restrain the battery packs. I may just use the cargo hold down attachments and some elastic straps. I have not fully installed the miniBMS loop wires yet - still work in progress.

12. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice. You are very close driving with all this equipement.:thumb:

How will you connect the shunt to your computer. Will you have a very efficent isolation ?
    This shunt is on the HT and will float far from the car ground. It can be 100V or more and moving very quickly.

I am sure you will be careful.

No hall sensor ?

I see you have received your Elcon charger. Can you change the amperage ?

Sure we will have some photos with all your equipement in your Prius.

:)

13. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My DMM uses optocoupling (optical port) isolation in the USB cable for isolation so it is safe. My notebook computer does not come with a 12v cigarette lighter plug as it will only accept a 19Vdc input to charge the notebook's six cell battery. So then I also have isolation between notebook computer and Prius 12V auxillary battery or 240Vac charger input. My DMM uses PClink software and can measure DC mV using a 600mV range with 0.1mV resolution and accuracy of +/-0.5% of reading +8 digits. I would probably get more accuracy using a shunt rather than using a hall sensor when it comes to measuring a high impulse current. It just happened that I had a old shunt laying around anyway. I do not think I can change the current setting on my Elcon charger as It has been specifically setup for 70 cells for CC/CV mode using a specific charging algorithm by a nuclear physicist (needed 14 days to make individual settings to my Elcon charger) at EVassemble. I can also use my Canview serial port to log the traction battery current. I bought this DMM on eBay at this link

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SINOMETE...st_Equipment&hash=item3cbc034e3e#ht_766wt_654

I should also invest in getting a fire extinguisher just in case .......

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Fine People at Elcon told me today when I called again that they do not even have the charger YET????????????? WT#@$!%%. I think for now I will separate the pack into 2 halves, hook up in parallel and charge with my Zivan 3 from my EV civic (set up for floodies) and only charge to 3.4V per cell to keep it safe and have my bms shut off the charger(of course some of my celllogs are still on back order too). I would like to have the proper charger for a back up shut off. Why is this so difficult?

15. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not use the Enginer DC Converter to charge your Lithium battery pack for the time being?
    I would not be surprised if Elcon in the USA were importing their battery chargers from China.

16. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not long to go now, almost there. Just need to hook into Prius HV battery terminals. See photos. Just need to install a EV display unit at a later date as it is on order from Dimitri. The EV display unit hall sensor will go inside the control box.

Attached Files:

17. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been thinking of reorganizing my PHEV kits space allocation. I will fit all of my five lithium battery banks including plastic containers inside my existing Enginer box including the Enginer auto fire extinguisher. My Enginer box has been previously modified to an increased height of 300mm. I can fit one set of Engimer battery packs and 48V charger inside the tyrewell. Install Enginer converter and Elcon charger on top of Enginer box lid.
    No room left for second Enginer kit, for now.
    I have included two 100A service fuses. One between connection to Prius HV + battery and 175 Anderson plug. The other 100A service fuse was used to split the lithium battery pack 3/2 to improve short-circuit protection and make it safer to work on.

18. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Did my first test run today. I noticed the IntZ value on my Canview change from 210mohm to 50mohm. It all went well.

19. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Congrats !!!

20. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    congrats!!. post some results when you get them. NEWS FLASH!!! Elcon in Ca. hired all the NASA scientists to get a charger and program it lightning fast. They sent me a email yesterday now saying it is done and even sent me a email with a tracking #. should be here tomorrow (Friday). HMMM I Guess I should open my own EV business and give so so customer service and I should have alot more customers than most EV companies.