1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planing CanView and BMS+ conversion with lithium

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Mr-plugin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. epa5epa

epa5epa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congrats!
    You complete the new world record on the day of Christmas Eve. It's worth.

1 person likes this.
  2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John, there's lots worse you could have spent the day! I wish i was actively working on a project on the car, it looks like you are having a great time really :)

3. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I final hooked up the battery pack and went for a Drive on X-mas eve. I took it for a 17 mile trip partially in out of gas mode and some regular freeway driving to see how the battery performed. It was great. I drove in Ev mode first, then took it on the freeway. Even with the ECT at only 80 Deg. F. I was showing 255 MPG on my can view. I still do not have my BMS up and running so I can not do a full test yet, but looks very promising.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a Pic with the Battery up for Spare tire access.

Attached Files:

5. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job. I do not like the idea that you have live 240Vdc parts which you can easily touch. In my system it is almost not possible to touch any live 240Vdc parts of either positive or negative polarity without using a tool. It is only possible to touch the anderson plug pins. So you have exposed live parts which could kill. You may want to consider installing your contactor and service fuse inside a PVC box (electrical enclosure) but still have the service fuse exposed so it can be removed without opening the PVC box.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    so you wheere doing this with out the bms+ connected?
    only the higher voltage of the add pack just like with the org calcars build? only now with a litium pack

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Nice concept and build.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to cover it. I am thinking 1/8 clear polycarbinate. I will have to pastic weld a "box top" with side for the Battery pack. And cut another piece for the contactors. Just have not got to that point yet;).

Not quite. My pack is only nominal 230v. The CalCars method required a higher voltage to shift the state of charge, with the disadvantage of high current being put into the OEM pack. The lithium pack is roughly the same voltage as the Oem pack and the BMS + changes the SOC signal to the ECM.

Yes, but I kept a eye on my pack voltage on my CAN View screen the whole time. the pack even under 100amp load never went below 220v (over 3.0v per cell).

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you notice I used the orange Disconnect from my spare Oem pack mounted to the left side of my lithium pack, which has the fuse built into it . I will keep it outside my clear cover so it can be disconnected even when lifting up the pack for the spare tire.

1 person likes this.
  10. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a 100A fuse link which will split your 230V lithium battery in two if you get a short circuit directly across the 240V terminals before your Prius service fuse? You should be able to get one which replaces one of your battery links.

11. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the pictures, Mr Plugin. So you have 40Ah*72 cells, more then 9kWh ? :D

When will you have your Bms ? What model did you choose ?

Did you read the inrush current when connecting lithium on nimh cells ?

:)

12. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    72 cells right? litiums are at 3,2 volts ( or your not? )
    so that makes 230 volts but when charged those are at a higher voltage right? ! 4 volts? making it higher then 230!?

13. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Charge voltage for LiFePo4 is usually 3.6V, so 259.2 for 72 cells. after a few seconds thid drops to resting voltage of about 3.35v, so 241.2V for 72 cells. under load it will drop further.

14. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I made my own Pcb's and I am using celllogs. I hope to have everything for the BMS done by this weekend. I did check the current the first time I turned it on. I was not able to measure the spike but with a full lithium pack and the OEM pack at about 120v, the current started at about 21 amps and quickly went down to 5-6 amps within 10-15 seconds, then tapered off. The pic I posted shows the large circuit board which has the alarm relays and the small board is a slave board.

Attached Files:

15. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As Flaninacupboard put it, after charging the voltage drops and after applying a load will drop lower.

16. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the photo. Not a bad job with the BMS. I thought it has way too many plugs but then I remembered your username!! Are you using four slave boards? Do all you slave boards connect in parallel or series? I think the three pin plug is 12v supply and PHEV signal, correct?

17. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    240 is a nice start voltage
    this seems to work/combine nicely..

where did you get the cells and what did you pay for them if i my ask

18. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Each slave board have a cellog that is powered by the 8 lithium cells on wich it is connected.

You add a relay on each slave board drive by cellog alarm pin.
    Will you energise each relay by the same 8 cells, so 23-28v ?

Did you test one cellog during driving, with an important amperage, say more then 50A or less then -50A ?

19. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Mr-plugin,
    Looks like relays to turn off the system based on CellLog allarms but no active balancing. Is that true?

The PacificEV system adds a 7ohm resistor comming on at 3.6v for each cell to balance at the top. Your system is fine, but it requires you to balance manually as needed.

Thanks,
    Dan

20. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To some up the BMS. The master board has 2 connectors on the left. 3 pin has 2 power inputs (one 12v key on. one 12v from a/c power source when charging). then ground. left bottom 24V input from 8 cells. Right side of master top plug alarm signal in series. bottom right plug. 2 alarm 12v, outputs one latching for charger and one non latching. The slave board left top alarm series, left bottom 24v input 8cells. right connector series alarm.

I did use a lot connectors, but I do not like screw terminals and if I solder every thing together then if I need to change something it would be a pain. I will do this if I have connection problems.